Flavoring with other than sweet flavors

I’ve managed to work my way up to about 33% soylent. What I usually do is 1 day on, then 2 days off. What’s keeping me from going higher is the default semi-sweet flavor, and not having come up with any options for a flavor that I would like long term. I’ve been adding a little bit of cocoa powder to it to make it more palatable, and it works…but the problem is, I don’t really like sweet stuff all that much. After my day on, my stomach tends to go “ugh, not more chocolate flavor” and I end up craving pizza or tacos the next day. I tend to prefer savory or spicy flavors more. I’ve considered adding a tiny bit of Dave’s Insanity Sauce, but that would not go well at all with the slightly chocolate flavor I’ve been using. Now if I could make a spicy taco or pizza flavor, that’d be awesome. It’d be just like Cup o Pizza from that old Steve Martin movie The Jerk.

My question for people that have been working with this longer than me…how feasable is it to get more of a savory or “meaty” flavor, and what would you have to add to accomplish this? I mean I know it’s probably not possible to make it completely pizza flavored, but it’s a thought.

I’ve done cinnamon, pumpkin spice, unsweetened cocoa and warmed peanut butter until liquid. My favorite so far is a couple teaspoons of the cocoa and a couple globs of PB. You could try some bacon extract and see how you like that. Maybe some liquid smoke too ?

Trouble with the taco seasoning or a pizza seasoning like you find on Doritos…I just don’t think they taste like tacos or pizza and I doubt it would make you think that while drinking it. Doritos would possibly be something you could use though, Take a few handfuls of chips and blend them into the Soylent. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah I’ll think about that, especially the bacon extract and/or liquid smoke. But yeah, I know taco or pizza seasoning wouldn’t work on its own, without something to add a meat flavor to it. I guess bacon extract is a good place to start though. My stomach just can’t take another day of meals that all taste sweet. 20 years ago I would’ve probably loved it. Now, not so much.

Here’s another question. Has anyone tried adding chicken or beef boullion to Soylent?

My fav, add a little bit of salt to one serving (according to taste) granted its not technically ‘flavouring’ but maybe it will become closer to what you like? American heart association says limit sodium to 1.5 but according to other organisations a little bit more is still okay…if the person has normal blood pressure and weight.

To put your mind at ease…United States Department of Agriculture (USDA): 2300 mg. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND): 1500 to 2300 mg. American Diabetes Association (ADA): 1500 to 2300 mg. Food and nutrition board of the Institute of medicine and the Linus pauling institute: 3800mg (Adequate intake based on the amount needed to replace losses through sweat in moderately active people and to achieve a diet that provides sufficient amounts of other essential nutrients).

I’ve been adding some cinnamon and ginger to mine and it’s pretty tasty. The ginger specially makes it a little more savory.

Here you have it @akaihiryuu ginger and salt for the spicy savour and taste.

But which version do you use? 1.0 and 1.1 could each give different results in this department when these are added.

I’ve done liquid smoke. It had hints of BBQ Very delish. I’ve also done avocado. Adds a creamy texture not a lot of flavor. If you want to change up the chocolate add chili powder and cinnamon. You get a Mexican chocolate that is not too sweet. I did add se bacon drippings but it was not enough to really amp up the flavor. I’m going to try again. I’m also wondering how basil might work.

A bit labor intensive, but this has been the best savory mix for me:

Using a blender, add approximately this much of each ingredient for 1 serving of official soylent:

1. 1/2 clove raw garlic
  2. 1/4 tsp salt
  3. 1 tbsp onion powder (or slice of raw onion)
  4. 1 tbsp minced cilantro or cilantro paste
  5. 1 tsp lime juice
  6. 1/2 tsp cumin

…it ends up tasting kind of like a cold mexican chowder. This is also really good with the Tortilla Perfection DIY recipes (which is where I first tried this combo).

Sometimes, I’ll mix it up by also adding some combo of:

• Bacos (the popular brand is actually vegan) or Bac’Uns (organic)
  • Liquid smoke flavor
  • Bouillon
  • Black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Tomato
  • Cucumber

My mouth started watering… Going to try this and see how it tastes…

I tried adding butter, which I strongly recommend against. :grimacing:

Liquid smoke works great. BBQ Soylent. I’ve also added cayanne and cinnamon with cocoa powder. Like Mexican chocolate.

I got a BBQ flavor with ~1 teaspoon each of Chalula Chipotle and agave syrup for 1 meal quantity of soylent.

That sounds tasty, could you send me an image of the products you use to produce the flavor?

I’ve blended yogurt in, mixed in coffee crystals to good effect.

I tried kosher dill pickle juice to poor effect, lol.

1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke in about 16 oz hint of BBQ

I’ve started taking a little bit out and trying a flavor every time I make it. So far tamari and salsa. Both tasted meh to weird. Definitely should not have used chunky salsa. :persevere: Tamari might be improved with some additions…I’m going to try it with powdered dried mushrooms and sesame oil next.

Hmmm, maybe nutritional yeast.

Hmm I may sacrifice a glass of 1.4 to try this!

That’s why I’ve been pouring out just a little bit each time for experimentation. If it tastes awful, I don’t have to sacrifice an entire glass. :smile:

The nutritional yeast wasn’t too horrible…I may need to experiment with that a bit more.