Flosseaux advice

Hello,

I have just finished my first attempt at a DIY Soylent. I was hoping to get your opinions on it, and also learn whether or not anything is potentially dangerous or disastrous. here it is http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/flosseaux.

Some Concerns:
Pantothenic Acid and Molybdenum are the two highest at 304% and 556% respectively. They are both well underneath the upper limit, but I want to make sure that regularly exceeding the RDA is not dangerous.

Rice Maltodextrin is rather inconveniently packaged and priced in the only available source I’ve found thus far. Does anyone have a better source of Rice Maltodextrin?

I am using nutritiondata.self.com to check my nutrients against the soylent database, is this website reliable?

My omega 6:3 Ratio is about 3.5:1. i have been seeing 4:1 as the optimal ratio all over so I used this, but I am wondering if it is better to have omega 3s far exceed the RDA or omega 6s be far below it, or does it matter?

Im going to tag @jrowe47 @QuidNYC and in this since I based my recipe on a lot of what you guys have said on the forums and some of your recipes.

Best,
Marty

If you post the link to your recipe it would be easier to look over :wink:

Where are you located? USA?

Is there a reason for specific rice maltodextrin? You can get Carbo Gain (from corn) fairly cheap.

I believe that nutritiondata.self.com gets their data from the USDA database, located here. Many of the ingredients from diy.soylent.me are also pulled from there, but it doesn’t hurt to double check!

By the way, Vanclute doesn’t do DIY, he has the official stuff. Another couple people that Do do DIY are @BriBy and @isaackotlicky

Yep sorry, no DIY here. But good luck with your own blend!

oh oops, I thought i put in the link. Edited it and put it in but here it is for good measure http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/flosseaux. untagged vanclute.

I chose rice maltodextrin because of various (admittedly not 100% compelling) sources about the negative health and environmental effects of corn products, and a few other sources about the superiority of rice maltodextrin.

EDIT: I did however make a “Corny Flosseaux” variation with the same percentages using corn maltodextrin instead. Its about 40c per day cheaper.

Recipe looks good so far, nice effort. Welcome to DIY :slight_smile:

I have not done extensive research on either Pantothenic Acid or Molybdenum myself, but do not see any issue with how you are set for them. Hopefully someone can wade in deeper for you.

Nutrition Data is a good source, as mentioned before I think they may pull from the USDA.

The recommendation is to keep your total Omegas (6 and 3 combined) below 10% of your daily caloric intake. You are currently below 7%, so you should be good there.

I see you have Canola in grams and EVOO in ml, if you’d like to also weigh your EVOO it has a density of 0.92 g/ml.

I’m not sure how you plan to take the pills that require fractions, but you don’t need to take them everyday. You could do the Folate every other day and the K every third day. If you prefer to do away with those pills entirley you may also consider adding this D3/K2 supplement, and this Folate supplement.

Your sodium chloride is showing as unavailable on Amazon, if you replace it with regular iodized table salt don’t forget to add the iodine into the nutrient in your recipe. This won’t make much of an impact, certainly nothing to worry about nutritionally, but it’s best to stay as accurate as possible.

Let us know how you like the rice version of Maltodexrtin. Ive not tried either version in any of my recipes, but will eventually order some to play around with.

Pantothenic acid has no UL - and at the levels you’re talking about has no detrimental effects, even long term.

Although human toxicity data is unavailable, animal studies have shown
that chronic ingestion of more than 10 mg/day of molybdenum can cause
diarrhea, growth retardation, infertility, low birth weight and gout; it can also affect the lungs, kidneys and liver.[68][70] Sodium tungstate is a competitive inhibitor of molybdenum. Dietary tungsten reduces the concentration of molybdenum in tissues.[33]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum#Biochemistry

As to molybdenum, you’re working in micrograms, and I see no cause for concern.

Awesome thanks guys. That helped alleviate my fears. I hope to make a trial run very soon and will commment on how it works out. As for the pills, eventually i will probably replace that with powder or liquid forms, i just used the database forms for ease.

The tolerable upper limits set for certain micronutrients by the IOM are very conservative by design. It means that based on a review of all the available evidence, no adverse effects have been observed at that level (plus a margin of safety), and it does take into account long term exposure / bioaccumulation. In other words, unless you have an individual sensitivity, genetic or other medical condition that dictates otherwise, you should be fine with levels in that range.

The “optimal” omega 6:3 ratios commonly cited are actually 2.3:1 or even 1:1, based on ancestral / paleolithic dietary intakes. The 4:1 target is one that the expert community has settled on as a recommendation, in part because it is thought to be more realistic in the modern industrial food environment (where the ratios tend to be much, much higher under the “Standard American Diet”). In other words, this means your 3.5:1 ratio is better than the 4:1 target, though you could go even lower. No need to worry about it too much, but if you’re tweaking your formula down the line I believe a ratio below 2:1 is a better target to keep in mind.

One other note is not to get thrown off by the percentages shown next to your omegas in the nutrition profile – they’re not RDAs per se. What you should do instead is decide how much omega 3 you need to get (this depends in part on its form in the recipe) and then adjust your omega 6 from other sources to provide a good ratio between the two. I would also advise paying attention to the quality of the ingredients from which you get your polyunsaturated fatty acids – you want to ensure freshness and proper storage as they are prone to oxidation.