Flying with LIQUID soylent

Continuing the discussion from Flying with DIY/ Soylent?, but with a slightly different angle.

Has anyone tried flying with mixed Soylent?

There are some exceptions to the 3-1-1 rule, and I’m curious if we can find a way to use them to our advantage. I suspect the success rate would not be 100%, even if we found something inside the rule set… but it might make it possible. Which would rule.

Here are a few possible loopholes:

1. Medically necessary liquids. This could especially apply to someone with allergies or intolerance… but would probably require footwork. I think likely you’d need to find a doctor willing to write a ‘prescription’ for Soylent as a dietary supplement required for it to be considered medically necessary. No idea if that’s something that could happen.

2. Travelling with formula. This is a stretch, but… you can travel with liquids meant for infants. There is no requirement to have the infant with you while traveling, either (this is called out on the site). That said… doubtful that this would fly since it’s not for an infant. But it seems a curious exception…

3. The government gives up this security theater and we can bring on liquids. I do not think #3 will happen soon.

4. I have no #4. Do you?

A bit of experience: I tried my luck going through TSA PreCheck with a thermos full of Soylent. I got scolded, and attempted to discuss it being medically necessary (while not pushing too hard), and he asked if I had a prescription… which I don’t. I had to dump it out. (It was worth trying since otherwise I had to leave it at home, and it would have spoiled while I was gone).

Could always put it in a checked bag. Depending on airline fees for checking a bag may apply. (I always thought charging for checked bags was kind of counter-intuitive. They charge you if you check it, then if you carry on they run out of overhead space.)

I’m not sure how long your flight would be, or how long you would be staying at your destination, but there is an easier option: mail the Soylent to your destination ahead of time. Many hotels will accept packages from travelers and store these packages until you arrive.

If you take some Soylent with you in powdered form, you are free to mix it with water once you get past the initial checkpoint. Every airport in the US has access to clean water. I’ve seen people take all sorts of odd food items onto planes. I don’t think Soylent is so extraordinary. Once, I saw a man produce an entire rack of ribs and proceed to eat them once we reached cruising altitude.

Not crazy about liquid Soylent in a checked bag.

1. Temperature
    2 Pressure
  2. The inevitable goo that will be all over your clothes.

Taking Dry powder is really no problem at all carry on or checked. Once I’m through TSA I get a bottle of water and mix it up in my Contigo. I’ve even gotten Wendy’s to give me some ice free. It stays cold and much better option than the $10 cheese and crackers they will sell you on the plane.

Most people suggest that letting the Soylent ‘soak’ is important to the taste & texture. Do you notice a significant difference between, uh, ‘fresh’ Soylent and stuff left to settle overnight?

That’s my main concern, with bringing dry powder & mixing on the other side…

Not as smooth as when it soaks but as for taste it’s fine. More importantly better than airport food.

1. Frozen Soylent is not a liquid.

Huh. That’s actually true by TSA regulations. The frozen material can’t be at all slushy or mushy, but you’re allowed up to five pounds of “properly vented” dry ice to keep it that way.

This is not what I’d consider convenient though.

Put it in a baby bottle