Food diversty: too much of a source? too little of something else?

Greetings,

I am six months into my liquid diet experiment – by “liquid” I mean @axcho’s Schmoylent and RL’s Soylent. Soylent was the way I found about this option, but the delay getting it led to Schmoylent. I’ve preferred Schmoylent because of the taste and consistency, but I believe they are identical with regard to the nutrients. My question for this group is one I’ve asked tangentially before but it was posted elsewhere and not directly asked.

Is anyone concerned about food diversity? Is anyone concerned about lack of other stuff? Is anyone concerned about too much of one source?

@axcho has been helpful. @Tark has pointed out too much uncooked rice (a source for both Schmoylent and Soylent) might expose me to too much arsenic). Others are not going 100% engineered food and continuing to eat “muggle” food. That’s been my approach – mostly breakfast and lunch with Schmoylent and a muggle dinner with the family.

So, is that enough diversity? Or, as I’m wondering now, would two or three engineered foods to keep in a rotation? I’ve been happy so far but just wonder about long term implications with food from a limited number of ingredients. I know they are “complete” but this is just a list that is bound to be amended and changed over time as we learn more about what works for humans.

I tried to follow the detailed conversations under “Nutrition”, but found many, many interesting posts, but none with the big picture. I’m in no position to judge the merits. But, half of my desire to use Schmoylent is because I want more time for things beside thinking and preparing food.

So, my big – macro – question is less about a micro-nutrient and more about a reasonable strategy to avoid finding myself in five years and discovering I would end up suffering from too much of something or too little of something else. It may be that I’ve already done that with my past decades of habits, but now I’m looking forward. I do appreciate the conversations here, but am still looking…

Thanks, Jerry RCD

[No expert]
In theory, you should be fine (except some undiscovered essentials / chewing maybe), in practice… well in summary:

• That question is what soylent tries to answer. You will have to try it out or wait for other people to do it (some people lived off soylent for quite some time now)
  • In comparison to some other ‘monoculture’ diets, you should be better off with soylent.
  • Nutrition is often frustrating because the differences between individuals. Nothing warranted for you personally.

The best advice (I can give) is to test it out for some time and monitor your constitution. With insufficent data, intuition is needed.

If you read this board a lot, you may have read all of this, and find this post of mine incredible boring. In this case I would just point out, that it was meant as much an anwer to myself as to you.

Nope, never been the slightest bit worried about “food diversity” and I’ve had nearly the same exact diet since I was about 2 years old (I’m 41 now). All my life, those around me (parents, friends, teachers, blah blah blah) kept telling me how bad it was that I only ate the same things and how I was going to develop this allergy or that problem. NONE of it ever came to pass, and in fact as an adult, doctors have heard my pre-Soylent diet and said that it actually sounded much healthier than most of their patients who eat “normally”.

Oh and before anyone asks, no my pre-Soylent diet was not “a well balanced diet” by any stretch. I’d say it was 75% carbs, 10% dairy, and 15% junk food. Zero vegetables (once in a blue moon I’ll have baby carrots), zero meat of any kind. I’ve always been in generally good health, though a couple years ago I caught myself putting on more weight than I was comfortable with - mostly due to the fact that my life is extremely sedentary and I sit way, way, WAY too much. I started actually tracking my caloric intake (boy was I surprised what I discovered!), and the weight fell off pretty quickly.

Now my diet is 75% to 80% Soylent, and 15-20% the same as it’s always been. I feel better (general health wise - I still have some chronic back problems from time to time) than I ever have in my living memory.

I dont think the rice ‘protein’ in soylent could be a problem in terms of its arsenic content. Arsenic is mostly found in the bran part of the grain and some in the outer layers of the grain. I dont think the protein is derived from the brain or even from the outer layers.

The standard “eat a variety of foods” advice is given because no one muggle food can give you all the essential nutrients. This is not the case with Soylent.

As far as getting to much or to little of something goes you run the same risk with muggle food. If you think you’re missing something you can either add it to Soylent or eat it on the side. If you think you’re getting too much of something… Well there is DIY and diluting Soylent with muggle food till its fixed.