Foods you can live off of

This post is a preparation for my 2 ingredient soylent, which will likely be the last soylent I submit.

These are the foods you could almost live exclusively off of:

SQUASH,SMMR,CROOKNECK&STRAIGHTNECK,CND,DRND,SOLID,WO/SALT
CUCUMBER,PEELED,RAW
PEARS,RAW
SQUASH,WNTR,SPAGHETTI,CKD,BLD,DRND,OR BKD,WO/SALT
SQUASH,WNTR,SPAGHETTI,RAW
SQUASH,SMMR,ZUCCHINI,INCL SKN,FRZ,CKD,BLD,DRND,WO/SALT
BEETS,CND,NO SALT,SOL&LIQUIDS
CORN,SWT,WHITE,CND,CRM STYLE,NO SALT
SOUP,TOMATO,CND,PREP W/ EQ VOLUME LOFAT (2%) MILK
SOUP,CRM OF MUSHROOM,CND,PREP W/ EQ VOLUME LOFAT (2%) MILK
POTATOES,RED,FLESH & SKN,RAW
CANDIES,NESTLE,100 GRAND BAR
CHEESECAKE COMMLY PREP
SOUP,CRM OF ASPARAGUS,CND,COND
LETTUCE,ICEBERG (INCL CRISPHEAD TYPES),RAW
PEAS,GRN,CND,NO SALT,DRND SOL
CELERY,RAW
EGGNOG
YAM,CKD,BLD,DRND,OR BKD,WO/SALT
FAST FOODS,BURRITO,W/BNS,CHS,&BF

As in, you could live almost exclusively off of any one of these (squash especially).
The burrito is especially interesting. If it had a lower content of sodium, it would almost be perfect.

There’s actually a list of ~1000 foods.

Here’s how I got them:

First, I got rid of any foods which did not contain at least some of every nutrient except vitamin D and B12.

Then, I divided the amount of each nutrient by the RDI. giving a number >0 and <=1.

Then I calculated the standard deviation between these values, and sorted the list by standard deviation, smallest to largest.

This was a pretty accurate way to find foods which could satisfy your nutritional needs almost exclusively.

Obviously the 100 grand bar, cheesecake and eggnog would have too many carbs/calories before you got adequate nutrition, but now if you’re craving something sweet and unhealthy, you know what your best choice is.

Some new ones using a slightly improved method:
PEAS,GRN,CKD,BLD,DRND,WO/SALT
BEVERAGES,ABBOTT,ENSURE PLUS,RTD
BEVERAGES,NESTLE,BOOST PLUS,NUTRITIONAL DRK,RTD
NUTRITIONAL SUPP FOR PEOPLE W/ DIABETES,LIQ
PIZZA,MEAT & VEG TOPPING,REG CRUST,FRZ,CKD
Snacks, CLIF BAR, mixed flavors
KIWIFRUIT,GOLD,RAW
BROCCOLI,RAW

And my personal favorite:
CARROT,DEHYDRATED
This one is ridiculously impressive.
700g of dehydrated carrots + fats and you’re good to go.
By mass it’s practically all nutrients.

So, effectively you cannot live off them?

And as far as dehydrated carrots, it’s really close.
It’s actually 92.86% nutrients (by mass) from my calculation.
When you add in the fats, the overall product is 93.51% nutrients. That’s pretty dang good. Probably close to as good as soylent.

It just needs a source of B12.

Unfortunately dehydrated carrots are expensive (It would cost the average person about $11/day). It seems to me the problem is the small size of the supply.

And a cup of dehydrated carrots gives you 50,600 IU of vitamin A, more than 5 times over the UL, while only being >50% on vitamin K and Potassium.

If you found taste and variety a problem with your other batches of Soylent, I can’t imagine that a two ingredient version will solve that problem.

Also, relevant to this discussion: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2828/could-i-survive-on-nothing-but-potatoes-and-milk

I’m using 700g not 1 cup.
Also, the vitamin A is not the biologically active form and therefore not toxic.
It could cause your skin to turn orange though so I think I’ll seek some powder from white carrots, since that indicates much lower levels of carotene.
It’s actually going to be a 3 ingredient recipe.
I like the taste.

Everyone seems to be missing the point anyways. The point is to share foods that are useful in creating soylent because they are nutritionally balanced.

The sweet pea, when it forms a major part of the diet, causes symptoms of toxicity called lathyrism, acting as a neurotoxin. Careful there!