For Sale: Soylent 1.4 - 7 bags - Lot L5054 Exp 2/2017 - San Jose, CA

I purchased Soylent in October 2014 based upon the product design, macronutrients, and specifications at that time. That was Soylent 1.1.

Recently, in March 2015, I received my order. It was Soylent 1.4, lot #L5054, exp date 2/2017. Unfortunately, I was surprised to find that it is now version 1.4. This simply doesn’t have the design or nutrients profile I am seeking.

So my full order - 7 bags - is available for sale. I originally paid $85. These bags are unopened. I did not try the Version 1.4.

I am in San Jose, California and would prefer a simple face-to-face exchange if possible.

Sean

P.S. In the interim, I’ve become hooked on 100% Food, and like MealSquares as an alternative when solid food is desired. So I love the movement, just not Solyent.

I’ve been curious on MealSquares. A solid form of soylent for those times mixing up Soylent would be inconvenient - like when camping. And cleaning up a bottle without hot water and good soap doesn’t sound like fun to me either. It has sunflower seeds and dates in them? I kind of worry it’ll be like a cross between a fruit cake and a multi-grain bread with various seeds in it. What would you compare it to?

I really like the MealSquares. They aren’t quite right for replacing every meal, but are a heck of a lot better than most every-day quick meals. They are very tasty, and taste different depending on how you eat them.

My favorite way to eat them is to cut one into 9 cubes and throw it in the microwave for 25 seconds. Total prep time = 30 seconds. They come out evenly warm, soft, and the chocolate in them melts just a bit. In this form, I can’t quite describe the consistency, but it like a warmed dense date nut bread or banana bread. It doesn’t taste like that, but that is the consistency. With a few small chewy bits that I think are walnuts, but must be something else. Definitely not a fruit cake, maybe like a very dense multi-grain bread, but more dense than any multi-grain bread I’ve had. The flavor is very nice but I can’t directly compare it to anything else - orange juice, dates, chocolate, carrots, cinnamon, etc. When warmed, you get a slight sense of each of those tastes just a bit if you pause to think about it. If you just scarf them down with coffee, tea, or whatever your source of caffeine for breakfast, they are simply pleasing. Kinda a guilty pleasure, really.

The other way I eat them is directly from the fridge. In this form, they are more solid and dense. This is how I eat them when I’m driving in to work - as a whole square, biting off chunks. Because they are cool, they flavors aren’t “released” as much, and they are more bland. Not bland as in “yuck” but bland like a piece of bread - no taste jumps out at you, but if has a very dense, thick consistency that is very filling.

Another way to eat them is room temperature, which is half-way between the other two. Some people sprinkle cinnamon on them. I’ve heard of people putting jam on them, which seems a bit odd to me.

I really like the solid food convenience of them. Would be great for backpacking, although they do take up some space and are relatively heavy. I’ve lived on them 100% for three days straight and was never hungry - I find the solid, dense nature of them to be really satiating. I like that they rely on whole foods rather than vitamin powders for most of their nutrients. And absolutely no - zip, zero, none - problems with digestion, gas, or other physiological or psychological effects.

When I read other people talking about them, opinions vary, but everyone seems to have very positive comments when they try warming them up. I think that is the trick to make them appealing to people who compare them to “regular” foods. Compared to Solyent or mix alternatives - cold, room temp, or warmed are all a nice alternative.

That’s a good point, how heavy is a MealSquare?

I’m awaiting my next shipment. I’ll let you know upon arrival.

A day’s worth of MealSquares (5 squares, each 400 calories, for 2,000 total calories) is 1 pound and 5 ounces. As compared to powders, it already has some water content so it is expected to be heavier. That puts it at 95 calories per ounce (2000 / 21 oz). This may work for camping or day hikes. But probably not enough nutrient density for backpacking.

I’m in San Jose and will take the bags off your hands, assuming the price is still $85.
I wouldn’t mind having some back-ups around.