Four Pouches in and I'm still having Stomach Problems

I’m perplexed at what the problem could be. I’m three pouches in. Doing Soylent only for breakfast, lunch and a real meal for dinner. Yet I still feel all sorts of rumbling in my stomach. Infact, this morning I poured myself a small glass of Soylent just to break it up between two small servings and as soon it hit my stomach I felt everything start going into knots.

What’s even more strange, my bowel movements are incredibly frequent. There’s no diarrhea, but my body is telling me I have to go to the bathroom every 30 to 40 minutes just to squeeze out small sized pieces of fecal matter. Is anyone else having this problem? How much longer is this going to go on?

It took me about 1.5 weeks or so until I stopped having any of those types of symptoms. I’m assuming your gut bacteria needs time to adjust. Like you, I only started off with breakfasts, and sometimes a lunch, so it wasn’t a matter of quantity. I did all kinds of experiments, like taking enzymes, leaving out the oil altogether, changing the type of oil, trying DIY blends etc, but after a while I was able to go back to original soylent without experiencing any side effects, which is what leads me to believe its just time and not any of the alterations I made.

I had the same issue with frequent bathroom trips, on much less Soylent than you’re using. It may be a side effect of the magnesium. The effect subsided after a few days for me.

Hi Brandon,

I’ll be interested to see how this goes for you. The only significant difference between my own diy and Rosa Labs Soylent is the Rice Protein. After four days on diy, I had almost none of these issues. I haven’t gotten my RL Soylent yet so I’m very interested to see how it compares. Maybe the brown rice protein and the fiber are combining to get the old bowels reacting. It took about 10 days on diy to get things back to normal. If you don’t mind, please post updates as to how it’s going for you over the course of time. Thanks!

From what I’ve gathered, it’s likely the high insoluble fiber + getting the full amounts of some things you may have been low on, like magnesium. You should probably adjust eventually, but if you want short-term slowdown, try adding soluble fiber, like Psyllium Husks. @axcho uses it in his blends, and the Marion Chow I got from him is certainly quite slow-digesting (I’m planning on leaving it out of the DIY I’m working on, because I apparently don’t need it, or at least that much).

I slowly ramped up to Soylent over about a week. I had the issue you describe for about 1.5 weeks, then it settled down.

7/24 UPDATE: I took a break yesterday from Soylent and felt fantastic. I suspect I felt great because of all the nutrition beginning to catch up to my body.

This morning I tried a combination of solid food. Ate some fruit and granola, with a small serving of Soylent. Felt fine. No stomach problems. Bowels seem pretty normal.

I brought a 28 oz blenderbottle full of Soylent with me to work. I occasionally took sips out of it. Then at about 1 pm I decided to finish off the bottle. About 20 minutes after finishing I felt the familiar rumbling inside my stomach and I knew the rest of the day would be multiple visits to the bathroom.

Anyways, I plan on getting some psyllium husks tonight because I just can’t wait this out anymore. It’s affecting my job performance at work going to the bathroom this much. Will update to my results tomorrow.

I found that my frequency of toilet visits went back to normal after 1.5-2 weeks. Hang in there, it gets better! :smile: