Frigoverre -- What am I doing wrong?

I just used my Frigoverre for the first time yesterday. After having a drink last night and this morning, my first impression of the Frigoverre is that, well, it sucks.

• The lid is way too hard to open. I have a bruise on my index finger from opening it three times (see below). Do I have to get a towel or something to open this thing?
  • When I took it out of the refrigerator this morning, it wasn’t airtight (thank god I tested it by turning it upside-down over the sink to make sure before I shook it). Had to – painfully – screw it open, and then re-close the lid to airtighten it again. And endure opening it AGAIN to pour a glass after mixing! And this is after last night’s painful opening to add the oil.

Am I just doing it completely wrong? I had high hopes for this thing from the rave reviews it got here and elsewhere, so I’m hoping I’m just stupid and not doing it right.

I’m sure you will get an answer from someone who really knows, but in the meantime – I saw the rave reviews on Amazon, and noticed that some reviewers went into painstaking detail on how to get this right. Are you following the instructions from the rave reviews? I don’t have one of these, but the tips I saw sounded important, and among other things, said they completely solved the leakage problem you found.

I bought two and think they are great. I’ve been using them for months. The worst part is how hard they are to open. Only one of mine has that problem bad enough to cause issues. I assume it is because you are tightening too much. Don’t tighten it all the way. I doubt you have to have it all that tight just to get it air-tight. You might want to tighten all the way, shack and then loosen a bit. It seems to get tighter sitting in the refrigerator overnight.

I actually just took a chunk of flesh off my thumb trying to open it a couple days ago. I had never thought about not tightening all the way because I’m a “big strong guy”. :smile:

Interesting. Just had another glass recently, and I came to the conclusion that:

• If you close it at room temperature, it’s hard to close (known fact).
  • If you close it after it’s been cold, it’s easy to close all the way (known fact).

But there’s more…

• If you attempt to open it after you close it AT ROOM TEMPERATURE and put it in the refrigerator, you’re in for some fun times (not).

• If you attempt to open it after closing it WHEN IT WAS COLD, reopening it is just fine.

In other words, push down on the lid + keep the thing cold = works perfectly.

I’ll still need to get a towel to spare my fingers though, not like I’ll keep it cold at all times (one needs to wash the thing every night… )

Crazy. I’ll give it a try for a few more days. Maybe it’s glass-ness and form factor will out-weight the opening shenanigans it requires.

Here’s one of the comments I saw:

I discovered, more or less by accident, the secret to making the lid work. Since then the lid has worked just fine (by the way, the lid must be removed prior to pouring).

Here’s the technique: With the center piece screwed into the outer piece and in the open position (that is, the center piece bar is resting against the “open” tab on the top of the outer piece), pull the rubber ring over the bottom edge ridge so it rides in the groove formed where the ridge meets the bottom of the outer piece. The next step is crucial (yet isn’t described in the instructions - an unforgivable omission given the complaints about the lid failing to seal properly). Holding the outer piece of the lid by its serrated edge, place the lid on to the top of the pitcher so the rubber ring is in full contact with the top of the pitcher rim, then rotate it clockwise while gently but firmly pushing down on it until the bottom of the outer lid piece is in complete contact with the pitcher’s rim. The rubber ring is now deep enough into the pitcher to form a tight seal with the side of the pitcher when the center is rotated clockwise a half turn to the closed position (to the “closed” tab), causing the rubber ring to expand outward and create a strong seal. You’ll find that at room temperature, the rubber ring will encounter some resistance as it is pushed into position prior to closing; however, when cold (after sitting in the refrigerator) there is no resistance. You’ll be amazed at how easy the lid works when the ring and glass are cold.

A little practice and I was just using the lid automatically, and would have had some trouble consciously describing how it worked. Thanks for the detailed explanation. It’s really not a problem once you’re used to it (unless, perhaps, you were arthritic).

Okay, I had it with this stupid thing.

Tonight, I went to make tomorrow’s pitcher of Soylent. I did the same routine – fill with some water, put powder in, filled in some more with water, put on the lid, tightened it and turned it upside down over the sink to ensure there’s no leak, then shook the pitcher.

And the lid ****ING POPPED OFF. You probably can envision what happened next.

That’s it. The random impossible-to-open moments, and now THIS. The Frigoverre is ****.

Back to the Takeya, with which I had zero problems other than that it’s plastic.

Anyone want a Frigoverre? I’ll send this piece of **** to you for the cost of S&H.

Sorry for your lousy experience. I don’t understand it, since nothing like that has ever happened with the four pitchers I own when the lid was all the way screwed on, but I didn’t remember to check that it was screwed on once or twice so I know what the cascade of Soylent is like.

I would though advise anyone shaking their Frigoverre hold it by the handle with one hand and the lid with the other, just on general principle.

I don’t use the handle for shaking. I hold the top and bottom. There is no way of the top coming off when you do that. I’m much too cheap to take the chance of losing $10 down the drain. :smile: