Fructose, Lactose, Sorbitol etc in Official Soylent

Hey everyone,
Posted a while ago when I was looking into DIYing, never got to doing that, but I will be moving to the States next year to study for two years and am looking forward to having Soylent as my base for good nutrition while I’m there.

But let’s get on with the topic at hand… I have looked through the forum but haven’t been able to find any solid info… So, I’m sorry if this is a silly question!

I’ve had a lot of gut issues over the years and was misdiagnosed as coeliac two years back, have since had a second opinion and am about to start a four week lot of hydrogen/methane breath tests to see if I have allergies to fructose, lactose or sorbitol (allergies to these are consistent with IBS).

My question is, does Soylent contain any of these sugars? Does anyone have any opinions/solid facts as to whether Soylent would help with this kind of gut issue? I’m planning on asking my gastroenterologist about Soylent when I next see him, but I’d like to have some info ahead of time… Any info would be greatly appreciated :smile:

As a starting point, here are the ingredients:

(from http://www.soylent.me/#nutrition )

Ahh, FODMAPS? As somebody who has a gluten intolerance, but still has problems with some other foods, I’ve found this very interesting as well. If I find that Soylent bothers me, I’ll be sure to come back here and post. Haven’t had mine confirmed by hydrogen breath test yet.

Just in case you haven’t seen one of the many articles about this, you might find this an interesting read…

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/22/314287321/sensitive-to-gluten-a-carb-in-wheat-may-be-the-real-culprit

Also just speaking from some personal experience, my gal had some specific gut issues for years that she couldn’t pinpoint, and nobody else really could either. She eventually made a self diagnosis of Leaky Gut along with systemic Candida, and proceeded to treat accordingly. Her issues reduced to close to zero after some time of supplementation on her own, including some pretty strong probiotics. Obviously I have no clue if this applies to you or not, but I thought I’d mention it in case it gave you another avenue of investigation that might help.

thanks everyone!

Yeah, thanks so much, I have been looking at the ingredients and kind of scratching my head as I’m not sure if sorbitol, fructose and lactose would necessarily be listed in that way? But maybe they would, haha! I’ll definitely get my Gastroenterologist to have a look at Soylent and see what he thinks… Hopefully he won’t react the way a lot of conservative people seem to… haha!

Yeah, it sure is FODMAPs, I’m hoping I don’t have an intolerance to all of the sugars, but we’ll see in a month or so I guess! There has been a lot of talk about Soylent being good (potentially) for people with food allergies, but I don’t know if there’s been any trials by people with food allergies yet…

Thanks for the article! Yeah, my misdiagnosis was related to having severe gastritis and then having endoscopy done too soon after it and the samples taken were reading like coeliac disease, but my gut lining was damaged due to the infection rather than gluten intolerance, I have been sure I have form of FODMAPs because I can go for days eating junky food and feel OK, but then I can eat lots of healthy vegies and fruit and have a really bad gut… Anyway, unfortunately Leaky Gut is kind of just an “I don’t know what’s wrong” diagnosis, as the things that cause leaky gut can be a range of different allergies, it’s great that her issues have gotten better though! http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome

Anyway, I’m hoping to get a lot better once I know what foods to avoid, but it would be SO AWESOME if none of the allergens were present in Soylent too… (it would be great if there was a definite yes or no on this too!)

Ah yes, she also had a horrible time with things like salads for a while. Anything raw her gut just struggled with horribly. That’s gone now thankfully, and she’s reported that Soylent has felt like the easiest thing ever for her digestion. On days where we have little or no conventional food, it’s actually easy to forget we’re even digesting anything at all since we don’t have any of the usual stomach gurgling or discomfort etc. that so frequently follows a standard meal.

Anyway, I hope you can try some Soylent soon and that it agrees with you!