Frustrated in Australia

Hey, living in Australia at the moment and the idea of Soylent really groks with me.

I’m currently eating really unhealthily, and Soylent seems much more convenient then my current habits.

However, I go to the DIY section of soylent, and it’s full of terminology that I have never been exposed to before, it seems to make food more complex then it has ever been to me.

Making it myself (not knowing anything) basing it off of someone elses recipe(more work then current habits, may as well cook pot-noodles or pasta), or trusting someone that doesn’t have vested interest in Soylent succeeding doesn’t feel right.

Then there are reports of people getting it wrong, concerned doctors puzzling lab reports…

I just want to buy the stuff already.

Is there anyone reselling either Soylent or their own tested mix in Australia?

TL; DR: sadly, DIY soylent does take work, and an investment of time and brainpower, if you want to be safe. No mix has yet been tested sufficiently (with the possible exception of official Soylent) that I personally would be comfortable buying it from someone - if nothing else, differences from person to person may be very important.

Unfortunately, this is kind of the point for DIYers. It’s quite important not to kill yourself accidentally, which is why all the terminology is flying around - because there’s so much unfamiliar stuff in food that needs to be replicated. It’s precisely because it’s “more complex than food has ever been to you” that it’s useful, at the moment. Of course, if we discover the Perfect Recipe:tm: then it could become simple again, but the simpler it is, the less tweakable it is (because there’s fewer ingredients, so it’s harder to alter the relative proportions of the nutrients therein).

Yes, it does take quite a bit of work at first, to get the recipe right. Trusting someone else’s unconditionally is not recommended, because your body is different from theirs - you should try and keep track of how well you’re doing. Do bear in mind, though, that many recipe-creators have a vested interest in soylent-the-commodity succeeding (if not Soylent-the-company) in the same way as I have a vested interest in computer manufacture succeeding - because it’s just incredibly useful if it works.

It’s an occupational hazard of being an early adopter, I’m afraid - these wrinkles will probably be ironed out in time, but it’s currently pretty much a largeish ad-hoc very-badly-designed medical trial. We can presume that Soylent will be safer than DIY soylent, because (as you say) there is a vested interest in its being so. It might take a while, though.

Hey man, I’m Australian too!
Firstly, what the hell does ‘grok’ mean?
Secondly, try visiting This place, there’s lots of custom recipes by various people, a few of which are specifically Australian and you can see all their ingredients and where they got them and stuff which is great.
I’m just starting to make Soylent based from one of @MetaSynapse’s recipes because I could buy 90% of the stuff from Woolies.

It’s from Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A Heinlein. To grok something is to understand it on a gut level, to emote with it, to have it resonate with your way of thinking - that sort of thing. For it to be integrated into your core mind-symbols. I grok meme theory, for example - although I don’t actually know all that much about it, I still grasp the idea of a meme and its being carried from host to host, and I can easily put myself in the shoes of a meme; I grok Douglas Hofstadter’s view that the “soul” (meant as a synonym for “model of self”) resonates after death in the form of other people’s leftover models of you (analogously to the way the hemispheres of the brain communicate through the corpus callosum, so the parts of my “soul” hosted in other people’s brains and my own brain communicate through the hugely clumsier medium of speech); I grok my left foot; and so on. It’s a really handy word which is roughly “integrated into the self”.

Handy maybe but definitely ugly too, nice to know the source though.
Is the book worth a read? Or haven’t you read it?

It’s an interesting book, but in my opinion it’s not worth reading over something like Gödel, Escher, Bach (Douglas Hofstadter) or The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) or Three Men in a Boat (Jerome K Jerome). Add it to the bottom of your reading list - read it if you get the chance, but don’t displace anything else to read it.

Well I’ve heard of none of those but they all sound interesting, I’m reading Book of the New Sun after my current one but if I remember I’ll look those up for afterward :slight_smile:

Hey Ryan. Wait for the commercial version. In the meantime juice a bunch of fruit and veges and don’t worry about shooting for perfect nutrition yet - just improve what you’re on at the moment. Ginger or chill hides a lot of green vege yuk factor in a juice.

A really good recipe is to juice a pineapple, a lemon or 2, green apple or 2, celery, (spinach or kale or chard), some cucumber and as much ginger or chili as you like. Throw some of that in a blender with an avocado. Pour it all back together and stir.

It looks like all kinds of green hell but it surprisingly tasty. It’ll keep for 2 or 3 days in the fridge.

Three Men in a Boat apparently has mixed reactions. By halfway down the first page I am laughing out loud - I’m banned from reading it when anyone else is in the room because I’m having too much fun - but some people hate it. Give up on it if you don’t like it after the first five pages.
Gödel, Escher, Bach is literally life-changing. The architecture of my thoughts has completely restructured after reading that book (non-fiction), and I’m pretty sure Hofstadter has signed some sort of pact with a demon, because no mortal can write that well. Again, though, I suspect some people just aren’t set up to like it. (I can’t give a “stop if you don’t enjoy before __” because I think everyone should read this book.)
Sorry to drag the thread off-topic - I won’t witter on about books any more here :smiley:

Hofstadter goes deep. Rothfuss writes beautifully. I haven’t read Three Men in a Boat, but I will start tomorrow. Thanks. :smile:

From Soylent to book reviews in one glorious swoop.

Boy, I really disliked Stranger in a Strange Land. It was a book that was well suited for the 70s generation. For me, a child of the later generations, it hasn’t aged particularly well.

Soylent-related book recommendations/reviews

It’s a classic in the evolution of SF and worth a read if only for that reason.

I quite like older SF stories, I read Planet of the Apes a few months back and it was fantastic.
I think we can all stop pretending this is a Soylent thread, we’ve clearly found something better xD

The amounts come from the US FDA recommended daily intakes so you can trust those as your guide
300g carbs, 65g fats and 50g protein plus all the values they give for the vitamins and minerals
http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064928.htm

and mate you can get 99% of it from coles and woolies
centrum for men multivitamin takes care of the micro nutrient stuff plus find another supplement for calcium and vit D
lite-salt does potassium and sodium and chloride
honey for flavour and part of the carbs
sunflower oil for fats
then go to bulknutrients.com.au or some health food/bodybuilder store and get unflavoured WPI and maltodextrin and thats pretty much it

I’d get the malto and whatnot at Chemist Warehouse, I think the prices are about the same but without shipping/waiting