Frustrations with nutrition advice

Let me start by saying, I love Soylent. I think it’s a great product and definitely ‘on the right track’. I was on a very high percentage Soylent diet for a while, and it was working very well for me (good energy, naturally achieved good caloric intake — stabilized at about 1600 calories per day, right where my doctor recommended before my doctor recommended it).

Then…I got a kidney stone. Now, I don’t blame Soylent. I blame myself. I did a dumb thing and it had consequences (wasn’t drinking enough water). Now unfortunately everyone in my life is bashing Soylent as the ‘cause’ of the trouble. My wife is worried, my in laws are worried, and my doctor isn’t helping matters much.

While I’d like to continue on a high Soylent diet, (1) Soylent isn’t available in Canada anymore (2) it really does worry my wife. This has left me trying to replicate my success on Soylent without using Soylent.

To do this, I’ve been diving in to the murky waters of ‘nutrition’. What I need to ‘hack’ my behavior patterns is very specific dietary recommendations. (Eat x every day to meet your needs). What I’m finding instead, which I know isn’t going to work for me, is ‘eat ‘more’ x’ (where x is fruits, veggies, protein, fat, Whole Foods, raw foods etc. depending on who is giving the advice). And eat less ‘y’. I know this isn’t going to work for me, and no one seems to get it… I can not find a single ‘balanced’ meal plan out there…

I am sorry for your stone, and I speak from experience in that it is the single most painful experience of my life and that includes when I broke my back. I have a history of stones and yes, the first thing on my list of things to do is drink water…every day no matter what. I have had 3 stones so far and don’t want a 4th. The first 2 I got were before I had ever even heard of Soylent so no correlation. The fact you got a stone may or not be related as well, however, it is all moot because from what I see you live in Canada where you cannot get Soylent anyways. I am a current soylenter but only for 2 out of 3 meals, my third meal is a nutritionally complete meal (most times) and I am not a nutritionist so I have to get my suggestions from other places. I usually start here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCawxenzFyo_0rzpzejVHK1w because they have great recipes and I always enjoy the clips. I hope you find what works for you and maybe Soylent will come back to Canada and you will be able to continue what had worked for you in the past.

That sounds very painful! For a balanced diet I highly recommend a whole food plant based diet. There are man studies that this is the best diet for human health. Look into “the starch solution” by Dr. John McDougall. The man is a plant based doctor and has healed thousands of people! Another book I recommend is “The China Study.”

I live in Canada (Toronto area) and my daughter still uses Soylent. We place an order every 6 months or so and have it shipped to a “dropbox” address in Niagara Falls, then drive down and bring it across the border ourselves. So depending on distance to the border this may or may not be an option for others.

I’m sorry to hear about your painful experience. I’m no pro but I found this online:

On the surface it does not appear that Soylent was the culprit, but it does raise the question: is Soylent a high oxalate food? It clearly is not high in sodium or animal protein.

Oh, and there are similar products that you can get in Canada. I don’t want to disrespect Soylent by promoting them here but if you do a little research you should be able to find them.

Good luck

Whole plant food? I mean honestly, Oxalate rich foods such as Spinach have been known to encourage stones in people susceptible to oxalate.

At this point in time, I don’t believe their is a right answer to nutritiin besides eating varied foods. Not going to go into the topic of organic, processed or specific food or horticulture praticises .

There are studies pointing to eating a varied diet is a path leading people to as healthy as an individual can be.

Thing is… one shouldn’t have to eat a varied diet. The body needs nutrients, that’s why we eat. We should know what a body needs and how to provide that.

Yes and No - the thing is, while we do all need similar nutrients, there are variables to consider. Variables such as genetics, micro biome, diseases, allergies. There is never going to be a once size fits all nutritional wafer or drink that is going to fit their nutritional needs.

While perhaps if we were to optimize to the n th degree, I might agree, but it seems like they haven’t even gotten to The first approximation.

Then find another source of iron instead of spinach :stuck_out_tongue: That’s just one food lol! A whole food plant based diet is what we are naturally designed to eat, It’s satisfying and healthy and gives the body what it needs without all the extra added stuff.

If enough people see the 2017 movie “American Made”, maybe it will soon start raining pouches of Soylent in Canada.

Sorry to say Dale, but you’re one of those few that may have a genetic predisposition to forming kidney stones. Typically even if you added no water ontop of the Soylent, you shouldn’t get kidney stones if you don’t have the genetic component. The best course of action is to find out what kind of kidney stone, so that perhaps you can then look at preventative options that are most effective. In general, 2 liters of water (67 oz or about 8x 8 oz glasses) per day can help. Also consider the possibility that you may have an enlarged prostate (as many men do with age), which causes urinary retention, which increases the risk of stones.

Kidney Stones Info