GʊdFud 1.3 (beta)


I wanted a DIY Soylent that would work well for my own nutritional profile and taste good. I also, as a secondary goal, wanted something convenient. I decided that carrying a powder and an oil around wasn’t very convenient, nor was carrying around a big pre-mixed, three-serving shake. Then again, nothing says easy like, “just add water.” In short, I was being selfish and only cared about my own needs. When I finally had something that was starting to look good though, I decided I should look into sharing it. What has come of that effort is GʊdFud 1.3 (beta).


GʊdFud (pronounced, “good food”) isn’t going to be winning any awards for Cheapest Soylent at $6.10 per day. To be fair, I wasn’t taking price too seriously, since there’s shipping vs. locally sourced ingredients, and lots of ways to save by buying in bulk (as evidenced by the 50 lb. bag of maltodextrin in the recipe). If you want cheap, go somewhere else.

I’ve purchased most of my ingredients, but there are still a few shipping stragglers. I’m going to be whipping up a batch shortly though, so this is about to go from theoretically tasting good to a real subjective measure of that claim. That said, I want to talk a bit about the reasoning behind the ingredient selections and ratios, much of which has to do with taste.

GʊdFud started as a variant of PeopleChow, which made the claim of being tasty. I bought into that at some level, but after reading the PeopleChow ingredients, I thought I could make some improvements.

The use of masa flour put me in mind of Mexican hot chocolate. I knew that several people had been adding cocoa for taste, so in went the cocoa in an effort to layer on top of the vanilla in the GNC Mega Men Sport. But there was nothing sweet. Time to put in some maltodextrin and try to get about a 2:1 ratio of masa to maltodextrin.

Oil was inconvenient, as mentioned. Out went the oil and in went soy lecithin powder. Soy looked good overall, but what if someone wanted to avoid GMOs or soy given all the hubbub about either? Out with the soy lecithin and in with the sunflower lecithin. Oops! that lost me some vitamin K. Time to add a supplement.

After that it was tweak for macros, adjust for micros and work hard to get everything to light up green.

Comments are welcome, obviously. Look for a report on taste in the next few days.


OK, initial update. I made a batch less a couple of the micros that are still in shipping, just to get a feel for taste and mouth feel. The good news is that the taste is pretty good. The bad news is that, as I’d feared, the lecithin gives it a grainy texture, at least with a water amount aimed at a shake-like consistency (4 cups).

I may have to abandon the dry ingredients only philosophy and put oil back in the mix. Reducing lecithin dramatically, it looks like could put in about 2 tablespoons of canola oil (2 Tbsp = 27.25 g). This drops the lecithin to 10g, leaving it in as an emulsifier and minor source of fat. The almond meal needs to be cut back by about 5g and potassium citrate bumped up a gram to bring things back in line. When the last of my micros arrive, I’ll give that a whirl. If it works, that’ll be 1.4.

I’m also looking at trying to bake this rather than drink it. I’m toying with a variant that adds some low-sodium baking powder, the above mentioned canola oil, and a cup of whole milk. I suspect that will take about 1 additional cup or so of water to turn it into a reasonable dough given the volume of powder. The addition of the milk causes some further shuffling of fats, and the overall combination makes it hard to keep the omega-6 content high enough. With the lecithin as an emulsifier and the almond meal and cocoa powder as binding agents, I think this has a reasonable chance of success for making a semi-dense baked bar, or possibly even a bit lighter loaf or biscuit. I won’t know until I give it a try. It really depends how well the baking powder will work.