Generic nutrient profile - looking for feedback

I’ve made a USDA-based generic nutrient profile: http://diy.soylent.me/nutrient-profiles/532264deb6648102005bd6e1

The details are in the notes, but basically a Soylent that fits this profile should fit the USDA recommendations for most people ages 19-70, regardless of gender or activity level, except that women over 50 may need to add a calcium supplement. Of course, people with different activity levels would consume different amounts.

I made this partly because I see a fair number of recipes that seem to be intended for general use, and I figured it might be useful to have a better profile for such recipes.

The main downside is that all of the nutrient windows are narrower than in a non-generic profile.

The Google Drive spreadsheet with my calculations is linked in the profile notes.

What is the difference between that and the actual USDA profiles?

Men and women do need different levels of some nutrients, such as iron and folic acid. This is why there are gender and age based profiles.

For most nutrients, even where men and women need different amounts, there’s generally still an overlap in the acceptable range. The ranges in this profile are all within the overlaps for the USDA profiles, except for sodium, chloride, and calcium.

For example, for iron, the minimum is set so that a sedentary younger woman (1700 calorie intake) will get the recommended amount for younger women. The maximum is set so that an active younger man (3100 calorie intake) won’t get more than the UL.

As I mentioned above, this does make the window narrower. The generic profile iron values are 22 to 29 mg in 2000 calories. The actual USDA profiles have lower limits of 8 or 18 mg and upper limits of 45 mg.

For sodium, the USDA window is already pretty narrow, so there wasn’t an overlap after considering different calorie intakes. The generic profile is set up so that everyone gets enough sodium, and active men get more than the UL. However, they still get less than the average American intake, and active people are likely losing more sodium to sweat.

For chloride, the USDA basically seems to treat it the same way as sodium, so I did the same.

For calcium, older women have both a higher minimum amount and lower calorie intake, so I wasn’t able to create a range that included them. That’s why they might need to add a calcium supplement, depending on their individual calorie intake.

Minor update: I had accidentally put in the magnesium UL, which most profiles here leave out because of it being lower than the minimum intake. I’ve removed it now.

Thank you for your explination. I now understand what you did and i like it!