Ginkgo Biloba - Safety and Effectiveness

I have come across various soylent formulas which included Ginkgo Biloba, so when I was at Holland and Barrett yesterday (Uk-based supplement supplier, opened a branch in Malta) and spotted a bottle of Ginkgo Biloba 30MG, I bought it to give it a try. It says “it supports mental focus and memory”.

This morning whilst on break from my studies, I did a google search and found this article which is fairly recent:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/new-doubts-about-ginkgo-biloba/

It seems that Ginkgo Biloba could be carcinogenic. Any thoughts about this?

According to Mayclinic.Com (Evidence section), the link between this supplement and memory enhancement (in healthy people) is “unclear” as “existing study results conflict”.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ginkgo-biloba/NS_patient-ginkgo/DSECTION=evidence

In light of this, is the inclusion of Ginkgo Biloba really worth it?

First of all, it’s generally safe to disregard any news reporting on anything at all scientific. Especially a fear-mongering article like this! :slight_smile: Beyond the fact that it starts with an outright factual error (stating no study has ever shown a link between reduction of dementia or memory loss and ginkgo biloba), if you read further you’ll see this is the result of one study.

Also, perhaps more convincingly, the rats were given 2,000mg per kilo of body weight. What?! People tend to have between 30-120mg (according to the article) and we’re a lot heavier than rats. I imagine a lot of things would be bad for people in such an excess.

So, unless you’re planning on 2,000mg per kilo of your weight, you’re probably just fine. While the evidence for ginkgo biloba improving your cognition is mixed, this study would not be the reason I decided not to take it, were I you.

Just my thoughts! Personally I do not take GB, so I’m just going by the article and other articles I’ve read online (from actual peer reviewed journals, so I hold them in higher esteem :wink: ).

They didn’t die of cancer, they were crushed by the GB.

Eating 2000mg per kg of body weight for humans would mean eating 120g of Ginkgo Biloba.
You die of less salt than that.

A young man who drank a quart of soy sauce went into a coma and nearly died from an excess of salt in his body, according to a recent case report.