Good Short Movies Online

I am frequently running across short movies online. Some are good and some not-so-much. I thought I would create a thread to post shorts in if anyone else had any that they would like to share as well.

Most of the good ones I have seen have been Sci-Fi, but there are others as well.

Hope this is an ok thread to post even though it is unrelated to nutrition.

The future of VR?

“Uncanny Valley” is the name of this short.

(Best watched in full screen mode, imo.)

Vimeo is short movie paradise.

That video is well made and I’m grateful that you posted it (I look forward to seeing what other sorts of videos people find), but I’m going to take a moment to attack the video’s premise in the hope than I can hold back the philosophy this video seeks to spread. I’m not usually one for long philosophical rants, but this touches on some topics near to me heart and I need to vent a little. Let me describe this from two standpoints: two aspects of my own life that make this video almost an insult to me.

Video games
I play a lot of video games, and have for pretty much my entire life. The social stigma against video games (or more specifically, the type of people who play them) has always frustrated me. I’m sure most of you know the general idea. Video games are stereotypically all about violence, extremely visceral and gory, unable to discuss complex societal issues, super repetitive, etc. The people who play video games are losers who never leave their house (or their mom’s basement), don’t follow basic hygiene, are repressing unnaturally violent tendencies, have an addiction to their preferred violent games, don’t have any social skills, etc.
Of course, these aren’t true. Video games are perfectly capable of being art, and, when properly done, can convey some messages much more strongly than other forms of media because of the inherent interactivity. There’s a whole wonderful world of imaginative, thoughtful games that weave together gameplay, narrative, and themes in a cohesive way to make some great experiences. Tons of people play video games, people from all different backgrounds with interests in all different genres of games, all with their own (usually perfectly normal) motivations for doing so.
This point of view is becoming more accepted with time, but it’s been a long, hard struggle, and there’s a lot of people out there desperate to portray video games in the most hideous, negative way possible. This video is a perfect example.

VR Addict #1: 17 hours of combat a day, 100 kills, about 8-10 deaths, … I wake up, check on my rankings, and go straight to the battlefield
VR Addict #2: I haven’t left this house in… quite a few years.
VR Addict #3: I feel like I can be myself and not go to jail for it
Articulate, well dressed doctor person: My job is to provide psychological assistance in VR dependent neighborhoods. To be honest, they don’t seem to manifest any interest in being a part of society, and looking at their present conditions, I don’t think they would have a place either.
VR Addict #4: I don’t feel comfortable around people. I don’t really know what I should say or do. Game play is just simpler. There’s no people, just targets.
All VR Addicts: Completely oblivious idiots slaughtering helpless civilians without paying any attention to the world around them.

Sure, this takes place in a theoretical future where VR is more immersive and I suppose whoever is making these guys control killer robots is suppressing dialogue between players and killing those who find out. But these same sort of lines are spoken by stereotypical video game players in media set in the present, too. The parallels are clear. This is a video about people who play video games, and every single one of them is portrayed in an extremely negative way. The authors are trying really hard to scare us about people who play video games, and in the process they’re demonizing a form of entertainment that can provide so much good to the world. It’s really a shame.

Virtual Reality
A lot of my research as a graduate student now is related to virtual reality. While I don’t work on it directly, I have a lot of exposure to people and research academically exploring the applications and how to make it better. This goes way, way beyond making “five senses support, 360 degrees immersion, enhanced aim” (again, from the video) for the newest shooty bang bang game. We have people looking at simulating deformable objects for better medical simulations, real-time sound propagation for better military and rescue training, and how to realistically create shared VR environments.
That last one is important because there’s huge demand out there for remote collaboration (Microsoft does a lot of this). VR is good for making immersive games and simulations, but the real killer app in some people’s eyes (which is why why Facebook spent so much to buy Oculus) is being able to see your friends and family in front of you. Not just a flat video of someone’s head, eyes looking down to see their screen instead of the camera, but a full person, in the same virtual space as you, looking in your eyes and gesturing as they speak, just as they would in person. If we can get the tech there, the future of VR is looking really bright.

And that’s where we get back to this video. What message are the authors trying to convey? Whatever it is, it certainly inspires more fear than optimism in the future. I understand that we need to take a step back now and then and analyze the trajectory of scientific progress and ask ourselves if that is a place we really want to go, but in my mind we are far from any moral barriers in VR and games research. Walking away from this video, the authors want you to be afraid: afraid of gamers, afraid of virtual reality, afraid of the future, and afraid of technological progress. I want to entirely reject that notion. Don’t be afraid. the future is going to be wonderful, and video games and virtual reality are going to help get to that dream I know we can reach.

A couple more that I found interesting:

“Trick Meter” (only 4 minutes)

“Mouse-X” (a little longer, but interesting)

@austonst You raise some very interesting and well-thought-out points. The main thing I liked about the video was that in such a short time they introduced an idea and then turned that idea on it’s head. In the first 3-4 minutes of the video, they introduced the world and I assumed it was just going to be about VR-dependence like a drug. However, when they made the surprise “turn”, I enjoyed where they took it.

I can see how the movie might come across as negative. In general, I tend to enjoy movie genres that have a negative outlook of the future, such as post-apocalyptic. Not sure what good they do for society other than to caution us in which ways to develop technology in order to safeguard against these negatives.

Anyway, thanks for the lengthy response. It was insightful.

Edit: I should also add that I just like to see what someone making a short film can do with such a small budget. A lot of these are made with very limited budgets compared to traditional movies/tv.

Hopefully I don’t add to the stigma of hardcore gamers being “imprisoned” by their fantasy worlds by raising this point, but VR has the very attractive benefit of freeing people who would otherwise actually be imprisoned. Serial killers and repeat violent offenders must be restrained. Restraining someone’s freedom will always be a moral conundrum. But by providing VR “freedom” and internet access, the situation is less of a gray area. The “Freedom Of Information Act” [FOIA] is proof that people have a right to some degree of knowledge. How much they can interact with the outside world would probably be more varied in different societies. But the potential economic and moral positives of such a scenario cannot be overlooked.

And not for nothing, I would embrace a permanent life sentence of living in a VR. So long as I have windows to the outside world, either through artificial eyes in whatever android I’m currently controlling or directly through cameras (traffic, security etc). Or a combination of the two. But I don’t see myself spending more than 10% of my time in the real world because if my brain and all the hardware attached to it is in a stable, automatically regulated environment, why bother leaving virtual reality? Why limit yourself to the real world? Peripheral-controlled X-ware has caused an explosion of productivity. Just imagine how much more productive a central (nervous system) controlled hard/software kernal could be. Imagine being able to program your brain to be able to truly multitask - or multicore process rather.

I assume by the time all this is possible, most jobs are automated anyway. So what’s the harm in half the population - or more - turning their backs on reality?
I’m not a gamer, never have been, but the stigma that VR users will get “lost” in a world of fantasy is an oversimplification of the platform. It isn’t just games.

Why so much whitespace between titles?

Sure, and as an added bonus we can use them as batteries!

I watched them all on my TV with fancy speakers; this one in particular did not disappoint!

This was a delight to watch, and I liked the ending (sometimes a predictable ending is satisfying because I’ll think I’m clever), but I felt like it was intellectually vacuous. Am I missing a deeper meaning, or was it all on the surface?

Short and sweet. It’s a shame the black level in the video is so high. I’m not sure if it’s an intentional style choice or if someone made a mistake in encoding/converting or something. Sadly even if it’s the former it looks like the latter.

Yeah, that was an interesting turn, definitely not what I expected. Unfortunately for me, it doesn’t do anything to expand on their characters. They’re not just antisocial druggies, they’re antisocial druggies who think so little about the outside world that they can’t figure out that they’re also mass murderers. But yes, neat twist from a storytelling perspective.

I’m totally with you here. I’m all for the possible future of treating this reality as just one option to pick from. But that future would not be the violent, antisocial one portrayed in the video. We’d simply have multiple worlds to pick from, with whatever sort of laws of physics we’d like to make. I’d like to work in a VR environment that places me on top of a scenic mountain somewhere, while software processes my thoughts and displays floating screens around me with automatically-extracted relevant information. To-do lists that get updated whenever I think “I should do X later today,” or Google searches that pop up when I get really confused about how to solve some problem. And when I’m done, I can go play tennis in the clouds as a bird or whatever. Long way off, but a nice dream.

Trick Meter was fun. I like the ending: seems like he run out of time before finishing the jump and got trapped in the void? I’d probably get more appreciation out of it if I cared much for skateboard tricks, though, so let’s do a ski video to get into the winter mood.

A dark comedy (“Ticky Tacky”):

(Note: It makes little to no sense, but I found it entertaining for some reason.)

If there was a deeper meaning, I didn’t get it either. I just liked the style of it.

Here are three that I enjoyed. Pretty popular ones though, so some of you have probably seen them before.

"Awake"

"Unwind"

"ABE"

I had seen the “Abe” one before, and it definitely creeped me out.
Hadn’t seen the other two. Thanks for sharing. Good stuff.

Apparently the Unwind one is based on a book and is getting made into a full movie, according to IMDB.

Here is a horror one I just saw about a guy who brings a real chainsaw into a haunted house.

Fortress

Just in case you didn’t watch it, here is Kung Fury. One of the best shorts of all time :slight_smile:

I had completely forgotten about Kung Fury. Brilliant movie!

I haven’t found a link to this yet, but it is on Netflix.

Here’s the trailer… World of Tomorrow.