Good tasting, £4.72/day and nearly complete: improvements?

Just so I can get some additional suggestions, here is my current version: DIY Recipe.

An album is here: http://imgur.com/a/ZVe9t

Some notes on preparation. This is for someone 5’7, about 80 kg, former power lifter, but now looking to maintain weight and strength. I work out about 3-4 times a week, and would describe myself as average-healthy in terms of activity level.

• One meal equates to about 1 blender full (15 cups of liquid). The blender will die if you try more than 1.5 meals on account of being too thick.
  • Add about 4 cups water. Add banana. Add about 200g of powder. Mix. Add the rest (about 270g of powder), more water, and then the oil.
  • Needs to be refridgerated overnight on account of the phytic in the oats and the oil making the mixture too warm to drink.

Impressions:

• The shake tastes good, and this is largely attributed to the banana. I gave it to a friend (who does not drink shakes) and she noted that it was ‘surprisingly good’.
  • Indigestion the first time because I didn’t let the oats soak. No indigestion problems at all now. See point 6.

Things to look for in the future:

1. Keep in mind the cost is going to be higher than US-based recipes. It’s somewhat hard to find any UK or European recipes under £4/day, and most of the complete ones are £5 and above. I’d like to get the cost down further, but I would expect £4/day to be a lower bound.

2. Needs a cheap carb source: oats are cheap but too much maganese in large portions. Maltodextrin should be replaced by something that contributes more than plain carbs. I am thinking of soy flour, which can be found for £3.72/kg.

3. Drinking chocolate will probably be swapped out for brown sugar + cocoa, but will have to compute the cost. Neither brown sugar nor cocoa is terrifically cheap where I live.

4. Largest contributor to cost is protein (~£1/day). Doesn’t seem much you can do about this. One idea is to go with raw eggs (maybe 1-2 eggs) though you will have to debate the cholesterol if you include the yolk.

5. Problems down the line will include how to buy ingredients when different items run out at different rates. This is a significant problem and one of the reasons why I am looking to replace more ingredients with things I can obtain locally at Tescos or any supermarket.

6. The hardest point of any soylent recipe, in my opinion, is the fibre. I was using 15g of psyllium husk (consumed separately because it’s awful) but this is really not enough (in terms of stools). I will up the psyllium to about 32g/day. In the future, I would add some bran to the mixture, which will probably be a low-cost alternative.

7. I put the carbs and protein high in the Oxon v2 recipe just to max out Rob’s recommendation. However, I would lower carbs to about 85% and protein to 90% and see how I feel. This is partly because I’m cheap.

Any ideas of how to keep costs down even more? I am interested in more natural solutions. Things like soy flour might be worth considering if I can obtain them for cheap.

[quote=“ThSGM, post:1, topic:5375”]
Drinking chocolate will probably be swapped out for brown sugar + cocoa
[/quote] Have a look at Dutch cocoa, It’s not super cheap in Australia but it might be cheaper in the UK. The cheapest I’ve found is AU$20 a kilo I think, I’m using 40g a day though so it spreads out a bit and I might use less if I’m happy with the taste

Yikes—that’s indeed expensive. I think cocoa (probably not quality cocoa) can be found here at the supermarket for £1-£1.50/kg. I would probably try that. With drinking chocolate, it’s about 25% cocoa, and works out to about £2.50/kg of cocoa.

My sister uses pretty high quality drinking chocolate but comparing what she has and the Dutch I bought, the Dutch has 4 times the protein and only a fraction of the sodium. That’s about the only reason I’ll use it, is because of the low sodium since my normal diet has way too much in it. But see if it is any cheaper for you locally because Australia is a lot further away from where it’s made than you are lol

This is the best value cocoa powder I could find in the UK. It’s a very similar price to getting the smaller packs in the supermarket, but is probably nicer since it’s a luxury brand. Also, very detailed nutritional info is available here.

I was using 15g of psyllium husk (consumed separately because it’s awful) but this is really not enough (in terms of stools).

I had the same experience with psyllium husks. Sorry for the question but if you don’t mind, did it go towards diarrhea or constipation or some other problem?
I heard either can be fixed with more fiber, but too much worsens it again etc…
I thought about switching to xantham and inositol.

Neither brown sugar nor cocoa is terrifically cheap where I live.

I would use regular sugar because there isn’t much of a difference. But not too much, fructose can be bad for you.

Well regular sugar is processed a lot to make it white, if anything I’d use raw sugar

Are you sure this is the right forum? Almost every ingredient of Soylent is heavily processed, that’s like the point of it to get them as pure as possible in order to have the most accurate data.
Edit: Some see raw as chemically raw and some as naturally raw. Just a matter of standpoint :slight_smile:

At the risk of reverting the topic back to that ridiculous argument over ‘Nature’ I meant that the white sugar is made white artificially. I had to look up the process but it’s covered here.
Maybe it’s not a big deal, maybe refined sugar is better for you but the idea of Soylent isn’t specifically to process ingredients, it’s to use the purest single ingredients possible and raw sugar is, well, raw.

Raw is not the saw as pure. In this context its almost the opposite.

@Geroellgeraet I wouldn’t recommend Xanthan gum to be honest. Even modest amounts have pretty extreme effects on the texture. I’ve found Inulin is fine though.