Grapeseed oil: Huge amounts of Omega 6?

As far as I understand, Rob is using grapeseed oil for his Soylent. That stuff is 70% omega-6. How is is he ever going to balance that with omega-3?

Am I missing something?

My guess: Use right ratio of that and something else with good amount of omega-3.

As far as I understand, he’s using only grapeseed oil. Besides, you’d need huge amounts of omega-3, and there aren’t any oils that consist mostly of omega-3.

In the Ars Technica trial, the tester takes fish oil pills besides the grapeseed oil. See here, just below the second picture.

Flaxseed oil is mainly n-3 fatty acids, even more so in breed versions.
I use a 6:1 ratio (by grams) of olive oil to flaxseed oil. This results in a 1:1 ratio of n-3:n-6 fatty acids.

That’s just 1 capsule of fish oil, versus a huge amount of omega-6…

@kthprog I use olive oil too, and add some omega-3 capsules (from algae), resulting in 4:1 roughly – but I get the good kind of omega-3 so it’s probably effectively more than your ration.

This coming from the guy who said there is no oil containing more n-3 than n-6. Do your research. There are no ‘special’ n-3 fatty acids.

Right, fish oil (or capsules) indeed do contain more omega-3 than omega-6. I realise that, and tried to refer to “bulk” oils, which come in larger amounts than capsules. Bit ill-phrased of me.

No need to be hostile though.

Anyway, flaxseed oil has ALA, while the body needs EPA and DHA. The conversion efficiency from ALA to the other forms is quite low. I’m assuming you know this. I’m not sure why you’re saying there’s no distinction between them…

Ah. Yeah. I also add fish oils to my recipe for that reason. Just a misunderstanding. Much like the last post it could’ve been phrased better.

Right so my point was that, say you were to switch from olive oil to grapeseed oil. In that case the o-3 in your fish-oil capsules would be a tiny tiny amount compared to the o-6 you’re getting.

This is a problem, since both o-6 and o-3 are converted by the same process. Having too much o-6 apparently prevents the o-3 from being converted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Mechanism_of_action

Yeah. They both compete for the same enzymes for conversion, and once converted compete for the same receptors which promote inflammation to different degrees. (n-6 promotes inflammation more strongly than n-3).

I would think it’s a legitimate concern. If you want you can tag Rob in this post.

There’s more to it than the article states, though. Too much of either is bad.

However, in this case I think it’s clear that the amount of n-6 fatty acids in grapeseed oil is far above the amount of n-3 fatty acids in fish oil.

Tagging @rob since I’m quite interested in his thoughts on this!

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/179S.full?ijkey=5c7af875f3dc71a303f7df78c52145e8b7c31643

Recommendations for total PUFA intake, however, have been made: 1–2% of energy from linoleic acid is required to prevent a fatty acid deficiency (29) and total PUFA intake should remain at 7% of energy (30) and not exceed 10% of energy (31).

So, no more than 10% of energy intake should be from the omega 3 and 6 fats. Using only grapeseed oil you’re going to be way above.

Fireside Chat with Rob 5/15

The primary source of fatty acids is now canola oil, which has a superior fatty acid profile to grapeseed. We also use flaxseed and fish oil to get a favorable omega 9 / omega 6 / omega 3 ratio overall.

Canola Oil is Liquid Death

Thanks for the input. My casual review of the literature suggested dietary erucic acid is not actually a serious concern, is that the same conclusion your team reached?

EDIT:
Nevermind.
Another one of those subjects where it’s hard to tell.

That makes more sense :smiley:

Have you looked into replacing fish oil with algae-sourced oil, to make it vegan? I guess it could be hard to source in the amounts you’ll need. For my own recipe I’m using these capsules: http://opti3omega.com/ , but I have no idea what their available volume is.

So is there a consensus on the best 3/6/9 ratio? :smile:

While there is no known perfect option, we can at least judge some ratios to be bad.

I’ll be switching from olive oil + algae-sourced omega-3 capsules to canola oil, flax oil and algae omega-3 capsules. It gives less saturated fat, and provides me with ALA omega-3. I thought I didn’t need that, since I get EPA and DHA from the capsules, but apparently ALA is also independently necessary since it’s a precursor for something else.*

*I read that on this forum. I can’t find the post anymore.

I don’t know about 9, but the general consensus on 3/6 seems to be the closer to 1:1, the better. Most standard diets contain ratios up to about 16:1 for n-6:n-3, so anything below that is going to be better.