Grapeseed oil: Huge amounts of Omega 6?

Note that the 1:1 is (AFAIK) assuming an intake of ALA, so you’ve got some leeway there if you also take EPA/DHA supplements.

I’m currently skim-reading “The Perfect Health Diet” which recommends a maximum of 4% of energy intake comes from omega 6 fats. It does cite a few sources but I think the 4% conclusion is the authors’, not directly from one of the studies. I’ll post again (probably tomorrow) with some references, excerpts from the book, add hopefully some conclusions.

Capping w6 at 4% would be a real issue for me…

I’m currently using canola oil, flax seed oil and EPA+DHA supplements, and I’m getting roughly 11% of my energy from PUFAs ( http://discourse.soylent.me/t/diy-recipe-vegan-requesting-second-opinions/4700/27 )

If you’re going Ketonic then it’s probably unavoidable. But a ketonic diet is disregarding a number of guidelines anyway, so maybe it would be fine. It depends on the reason why getting energy from PUFA is bad.

I’ve got a somewhat more reliable link stating a maximum of 10% of the energy intake from o3 and o6, a few posts up. http://discourse.soylent.me/t/grapeseed-oil-huge-amounts-of-omega-6/5069/13?u=mqrius

The link I posted there has a reference for the 10% claim, which is this: http://ia700706.us.archive.org/13/items/secondreportofex00usde/secondreportofex00usde.pdf

Here’s a relevant excerpt, from Page 32 (emphasis mine):

When dietary saturated fatty acids are decreased, they can be replaced in part by polyunsaturated fatty acids. The polyunsaturates can be increased to 10% of calories, but they should not exceed this value. The current American diet contains about 7% of calories as polyunsaturated fatty acids, which should be a minimum value for the therapeutic diets. There are two major categories of polyunsaturated fatty acids, commonly referred to as omega-6 and omega-3. The major omega-6 fatty acid is linoleic acid, which has 18 carbon atoms and two double bonds. Substitution of linoleic acid for dietary saturated fatty acids results in a fall in plasma cholesterol. Although very high intakes of linoleic acid were once advocated for cholesterol lowering, lack of information about the consequences of long-term ingestion of large amounts of linoleic acid has led most investigators to recommend a ceiling of 10% of total calories. Several vegetable oils are rich in linoleic acid, including safflower oil, sunflower seed oil, soybean oil, and corn oil. Although polyunsaturated oils are high in linoleic acid and low in saturated fatty acids, they also are high in total calories (as are all fats and oils); consequently they can promote weight gain if consumed in large amounts.

Note that this report (ATP 2 Report on High Blood Cholesterol) seems to be outdated. There is now an
ATP 3 Report on High Blood Cholesterol: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3full.pdf

The recommended maximum is essentially the same, including their sole argument that there’s no long term study:

Evidence statements: Linoleic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid, reduces LDL cholesterol levels when substituted for saturated fatty acids in the diet (A1, B1). Polyunsaturated fatty acids can also cause small reductions in HDL cholesterol when compared with monounsaturated fatty acids (B2). Controlled clinical trials indicate that substitution of polyunsaturated fatty acids for saturated fatty acids reduces risk for CHD (A2, B2).

Recommendations: Polyunsaturated fatty acids are one form of unsaturated fatty acids that can replace saturated fat. Most polyunsaturated fatty acids should be derived from liquid vegetable oils, semi-liquid margarines, and other margarines low in trans fatty acids. Intakes of polyunsaturated fat can range up to 10 percent of total calories.

Optimal Micronutrient Ratios

It’s interesting to note that the longest lived person in the world put olive oil on everything she ate. By simple calorie displacement she probably ended up on a much more low-carb diet.

She also had a lot of port wine and chocolate.

Do you still have MCTs in the fat sources? The v0.8 release notes seemed to like them a lot!