Great Scale for tracking weight loss

For others that are using Soylent to help lose weight I found a great scale that tracks your weight and other body measurements on your smart phone via bluetooth for under $50. Amazon is saying they are out of stock now but they are available from lots of other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Connected-Backlit-Greater-Goods/dp/B00N9ENKDI/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

Bluetooth Smart Technology. Auto Step-on (turns on automatically when weighing). Auto Off. Auto calibration. Auto user detect (important for multi-user homes - e.g. husband/wife). Supports up to 8 users. Non-slip, scratch resistant feet. 4 ultra-precision weighing sensors. 400lb capacity. BMI (Body Mass Index) measurement. BIA (Bio-impedance Analysis) Analysis for Body Fat, Lean Mass, Water Weight and Bone Mass. +/- .1 lb resolution. Durable tempered glass construction. Large weighing platform (12.5" x 12.5"). Large, Backlit LCD (3.25"). Kg / Lbs. 3 AAA batteries included.

http://www.withings.com/us/smart-body-analyzer.html

Here is another.

P.S. the one you linked to seems to be out of stock.

I looked at the Withings scale before I bought the Weight Guru scale. The Withings is good but it cost 3 times as much as the Wight Guru and as far as I can tell it cannot do anything the Weight Guru does not do.

The Weight Guru is available at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/165414-weight-gurus-appsync-body-composition-scale.html

I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C-Composition-Sensing-Monitor/dp/B0020MMCDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414773110&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+scale

If anyone comes across a scale with wifi/bluetooth and four-limb impendance sensors, please let me know; I’d love that.

I’m sorry to say all bioelectric impedance scales are a waste of money. The only thing they are accurate on is your weight. They send a small harmless electrical signal through your body and measure your resistance. In theory the more conducive you are the more lean you are. The problem is your hydration level, dampness of your feet, how well your feet are making a connection with the scale, and a number of other factors can and do give false readings.

I unfortunately bought a Fitbit aria before realizing all this. I can get one body fat reading, step off, wait for it to clear, step right back on and get an entirely different reading. Not just a few tents off but whole percentage points different. It’s been known to say I’ve put on a full percent or more in fat literally over night. Go to bed hydrated, wake up dehydrated, bam magic fat gain.

I’ve read anicdotal evidence that people who are skinny enough to see their six pack can get readings in the high teens. I would suggest saving money and getting a skin fold caliper and an accurate non-electronic bathroom scale.

horsfield makes a good point, it seems like you’re bound to have some major inaccuracies; what’s been your experience with that scale @MentalNomad?

I agree with much of what he said, except the conclusion that he starts with. :stuck_out_tongue:

Firstly, it isn’t critical to me that I get an accurate bodyfat percentage - is it really 18.2% or is it really 17.8%? I don’t care. What I want to know is my trend… am I averaging lower than last month, or higher? The truth is, only rendering is fully accurate for bodyfat measurement, and you only get to have that done to yourself once. Also, after being rendered, you’re dead, so it’s useless for long-term tracking.

Secondly, I check myself every morning before breakfast specifically so that I get a consistent hydration level. The hands-and-feet scale is very consistent for me; if I re-measure, it may vary by .2% or sometimes .4%, but never more, unless I got a “wacky” outlier which can be ignored. I’ve gotten into a very strict routine as far a procedure and posture to keep it as consistent as I can.

Third, it’s about running averages, not about any individual measurement. The impedance side is less accurate than the weight, but neither is a really good indicator of where you “are,” because where you “are” is always varying. You still need to take an average. Weighing in the morning before breakfast decreases the variation, but it’s still there.

Lastly, bioimpedance doesn’t actually measure fat. It measures some lean tissue, estimates other lean tissue, and assumes the rest of your weight is fat. The result is that increases in muscle hydration increase the reading of “lean” tissue and lower the fat, while decreases in muscle hydration lower the “lean” tissue and raise the fat - even though the fat actually isn’t changing, at all! I’ve been doing this for many years, and I can see large, clear changes based on my diet - when I’m on a PSMF or a three-day fast, my muscular hydration levels due to depletion of stored glycogen causes enormous differences, but I’m well aware of them. If I stop lifting weights, I also see the change, and if I do a really heavy workout and my muscles are swollen, I see the difference - but the key is that I understand what’s happening, and I look at my graphs for long-term trends.

As far as accuracy goes the weight measurement is very good. It is within a tenth of a pound pound of the scale at my doctors office.

The most I can say about the “impedance” reading are they are repeatable and trending correctly. Is my body water percentage really 58.6%? Who knows, but I do know that if I stand on the scale three times in a row it will consistently say 58.6% and the next day will be within a half percent one way or the other. At night the percent water is higher than in the morning.

The percent body fat is steadily decreasing in proportion to my weight loss. So the relative readings over time seem meaningful. And that is really all I care about.

The scale is back in stock at Amazon, but the price is now $80.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9ENKDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you know how well this scale integrates with other heath trackers/apps? One of the great things about the Withings products is the software ecosystem that they are part of. I have my Withings scale automatically syncing my weight to MyFitnessPal (for calorie tracking) and Apple Health.

Right now the scale does not integrate with anything but the WeightGuru app. I sent a question to the company asking if they have plans to work with Health Kit and I have not received any response. It only makes sense for them to expand the usefulness of the scale by integrating with Health Kit and apps like Loseit. I hope they understand that and make it happen.

Thanks for the reply. That alone makes the extra price for the Withings scale worth it.

My understanding of how these scales work is they don’t actually measure your body fat. Instead, it takes your weight, age, gender, height (I’ll bet it asked for these didn’t it?) and basically estimates your body fat based on these parameters. In other words, it’s just a marketing gimmick to sell more scales - in the event that you gain weight but lose body fat, these scales would not detect it. It mostly just gives you the average body fat for someone with your weight, age, gender, and height.

The issues horsfield brought up would be an issue if they were actually using just the impedance to calculate, but generally these scales don’t do that, since consumers would be upset by the inconsistency. Instead they cheat by using the other factors I mentioned so that they are more likely to impress ignorant consumers.

No, they actually use impedance along with your weight, age, gender, and height.

Impedance alone wouldn’t allow for an estimate of your body tissues.

The scales do perform an new Bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) measurement each time you weigh yourself. This measurement is not the most accurate method of determining percent body fat but it does provide a very useful measurement of your relative body fat percentage over time. So if you need to know your exact body fat percentage for some odd reason, then you need to have a more expensive test performed. However if you are interested in knowing how your body fat percentage is changing over time then the BIA method is actually pretty good.

The NIH concludes that for studies that require body fat measurements over diverse populations BIA is not recommended due to the inherit variations from one person to another. However for small homogeneous groups studies BIA provides a valid method of measurement. And for a single person it can be very accurate if properly calibrated.

Right - and for most of us home users, the most important aspect is that it’s completely adequate for tracking progress over time. For a home user, it doesn’t matter so much whether your fat % is 18 or 22, at this moment. What matters is that it’s accurately showing you your change over time, which it does, withing the natural fluctuations that your body goes through because of hydration.

Not as cost effective as buying a scale and owning it but if you really want accurate measurements I would recommend finding out if anyone is offering mobile dunk testing or bod pod testing in your area. Both are very accurate (when done within the right parameters) and if you can find a local source quiet cost effective.

Providers of both have become very popular with Crossfit Gyms as they often offer fitness challenges with begin/end dates where they have the provider setup for a day or two on site to provide testing. You typically do not have to be a member of the gym and can coordinate a test with the provider outside of the competition/gym affiliation. Having done both I prefer dunk testing (bod pod is incredibly sensitive to clothing and air pockets), if your comfortable with the process (i.e. fighting every instinct you have and expelling all your breath while held under water) I think it’s easier to get consistent/accurate results. The folks I typically use (probably ever 8-12 weeks) only charge $35 to dunk so over time it’s going to be more expensive but if your really looking to track progress it’s a great option and I find it motivating in that I have a set time frame to achieve a goal.

-edit to add that as someone mentioned, if you are sub 10%, nothing buy hydrostatic (dunk) or bodpod is really going to give you accurate results. If your giving yourself a goal of getting from 9% down to 7%, no scale or caliper test will really be able to dial that in for you (IMO). Now if your in the 30%+ range and you simply want to see trends, these scales are fine for that, I would just avoid “tracking” that measure more then once a week because it will bounce around so much based on time of day and hydration.

-edit #2 - if anyone is curious it’s a franchise based thing so every location will be different but this is the product/service I use. http://www.bodyfattest.com/ . They have an events calendar showing where they will be at any given time which is nice.