Green Dots Normal?

Hello - I am a newcomer to Soylent. I have a batch of 1.4 that expires 03/2016. I noticed that the cup I poured this AM (and mixed this AM) formed some green dots after I let it settle for a bit between sips. Is that normal? I’ve been paranoid about it being rancid but the optimistic part of me figures it’s the oil settling. Is this a common appearance of Soylent or should I be worried? Is there any visual signs of it being rancid or is smell the best way to detect that?

Thanks!

I get those too, they seem a lot more brown than green to me though. pretty sure it’s just oil, it hasn’t hurt me yet.

It doesn’t look fully mixed to me.

Very possible. I did the shake up but perhaps some extra stirring while it’s in the glass will dissolve away the dots?

I haven’t seen this but I have detected ‘clumpy’ consistency regardless of shaking if it hasn’t sat for at least 3-4 hours in the fridge. I’m starting to believe that getting the silky consistency I desire has more to do with how long it sits in the fridge and less to do with my Takeya-as-shake-weight upper body training plan…

Yup. I get them. Mix it better and they’ll mostly go away. I don’t mix in a bowl, shaking it HARD in a watertight pitcher works a lot better.

For 1.4 I have to shake twice: Once when I first mix, then again a few hours later once the “creamy” stuff has separated out. After that stays pretty well mixed.

It also looks like normal clumping to me, like I get (and don’t mind). Doesn’t look at all “green” to me, though, not in mine and not in your picture.

Green dots reminds me of something I was reading recently regarding sunflower seeds and baking soda:

Note: When using sunflower seed flour in a recipe with baking soda, you may notice tiny green specks in your baked goods. This is a result of chemical reaction between the two ingredients, and it’s perfectly safe to eat.

The chemical reaction it mentions is talked about here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/food-science-when-good-carrots-52210

Wonder if it is related?

I think the green dots are what it looks like when the oil is released from the powder encapsulating it.