Grittiness of Soylent 1.0

Has warm or hot water been tried before? This problem sounds similar to the powdered hot chocolate problem where the clumps of mix will not dilute correctly until hot water dissolves it into a mixture.

I tried the oil later method with my DIY soylent. It seemed perhaps a bit smoother, but the main thing is that it seems more oily. I can taste and smell the olive oil.

I tried the oil later method with the latest batch and it was a huge difference. it was smoother than my 3 day old soylent just from being overnight. Definitively the way to do it.

I too can confirm that putting in the oil the next day is much smoother, you can still ‘feel’ stuff in it but it’s much softer and less of what I would describe as gritty. I was a lot happier drinking it but that could just be because it’s my second day.

Thank you for the suggestion! Also make sure you shake EVERYTIME before taking a drink! I didn’t end up with anything at the bottom of the pitcher whereas my girlfriend did.

I wouldn’t try a hot liquid, warm maybe, I tried freshly brewed tea and I believe it cooked the starch as it sat, and there was definitely a gooey and thicker quality to my soylent that batch.

I am really happy I stumbled upon adding oil after a soak and it’s helped so many of you. :slight_smile:

yeah, it needs to be shaken constantly. it doesn’t stay in suspension well. The water doesn’t separate after a good soak then shake, but the sediment still settles.

What I found surprising is how much more (whatever it was, I assume water) separated last night Vs. the night before when I mixed in the oil.

Yes, I noticed the same thing.

Soylent contains soy lecithin, which is an emulsifier. Emulsifiers loosely bind to both water and fat molecules; include enough of them in a mix of water, oil, and solids and it’ll create a massive molecular tangle in which oil and water coexist and solids of all sizes and densities will get suspended for a time.

So yeah, no oil = no emulsification = solids and liquids separate as quickly as gravity dictates.

In cooking terms, emulsifiers add smoothness and body as well as prolonging mixture of water, oils and solids. Think of how slippery egg yolks are; that’s the egg lecithin, mostly. In terms of mouthfeel, think mayo.

Regarding Soylent, the grittiness should be caused by the rice protein powder; soaking overnight should almost entirely reduce the grittiness from the oat flour, and most of the minerals and vitamins should dissolve into the water at least somewhat, but soaking won’t help with the rice protein.

Soylent seems to go kind of light on the soy lecithin, considering that it’s a powdered beverage heavy on vegan protein, but they want to minimize non-nutritious food additives and I won’t argue with that. It’s proof enough that despite a minimalist ingredient agenda they were forced to include at least a little bit of lecithin to make it palatable.

So if you’re wondering about what could reduce the grittiness, the best solution is (a) soak the oat flour thoroughly (the advice above re: soaking long before adding the oil is 100% correct) and (b) add more emulsifier. I wouldn’t add an egg; instead you could add pureed banana, or yogurt, or beverages that already use soy lecithin such as almond milk. Or if you’re feeling festive, egg nog.

Good idea about adding beverages that already use soy lecithin, hadn’t thought of that!

I’ve found that xanthan gum does a great job keeping Schmoylent from separating, even without an emulsifier like soy lecithin. It makes the entire mix more cohesive (goopy) though, even with a small amount (1g) of xanthan gum! :stuck_out_tongue:

Xanthan gum is a food stabilizer; the main difference between that and lecithin is that xanthan gum attaches to solids and traps water and fat, whereas lecithin attaches to water and fat and traps solids. One consequence of the difference is pseudoplasticity, which is when whipping a mixture makes it thicken. Adding Xanthan gum not only emulsifies a mixture, it makes it more pseudoplastic.

Problem is, the rate and duration of whipping determines the amount of thickening. Hence xanthan gum works great for automated food manufacturing processes, where the ideal rate and amount of shear can be calculated in advance and executed to perfection routinely; for Soylent though, which must be manually mixed before consumption, it’d be a less-than-optimal choice. Could still work as an additive or for DIY though, if you could figure out ju-u-u-st the right (tiny) amount to add, and made it exactly the same way every time.

Ok, first drink of Soylent. Liking the flavour, but despite leaving to soak for 8 hours, I’d still describe it as… well, I’m not sure. Something slightly less than “gritty”. “Silty”, maybe.

Quick question: I put a few ice cubes and some water in the pitcher before adding the Soylent powder, then after the powder, topped it off with the rest of the litre of water, plus a few more ice cubes. The pitcher was nowhere near full, I could probably have got another 500ml of water in it.

Did I use enough water? I measured out 1 litre, plus a few ice cubes…

You really want the pitcher full, so that your total when mixed is about two liters.

I find it helps if I reshake an hour or so after I first mix it.

I also mix mine with a full pitcher. It’s also been discovered that if you mix just the powder and water and let it sit overnight, then add the oil the next day, it turns out much smoother.

Did you try adding the oil the next day after the water+Soylent has had a chance to chill in the fridge over night?

I did, yes.

I’ve just tried a sip of the second batch - much, much smoother. It’s been chilling in the fridge for about 24 hours now and I still haven’t added the oil. I’ve still got some of the first batch to get through, so I’ll hopefully finish that up today at work, then add the oil and get into the second batch this evening.

Interestingly, I had a blender bottle that has some of Day 1 in that I topped up with extra water and left in the fridge overnight. That’s a lot smoother too. Not as smooth as 24 hour chill with no oil, but better than the first lot.

Maybe it’s just soak time.

EDIT: I’m wondering if it’s partly a water issue as well - how many people here use filtered water, compared to regular tap water? I assume the US has as much variance in the hardness of tap water as we do in the UK?

Maybe I’ll get a filter jug for the fridge…

Oh yeah extremely so, in fact I haven’t ever been able to drink the tap water here, the UK was much easier to drink the tap water.

I’m currently buying and using these:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ozarka-natural-spring-water-2-2-5-gal/158880.ip

Basically 5 (US) gallons for $3.80 and I use that to drink and mix the Soylent with.

Can anyone tell me if the texture of original soylent is close to casein protein powder?

I just loaded up my first day of official Soylent, and it has a gritty afterfeel, definitely from the protein. I drank immediately after mixing with ice, so it’s what I expected. My coworkers like it! I feel full after my first meal. I’ll definitely let the next meal soak for at least 12 hours before adding oil.

Taste is great. I think the vanilla reddit recipe based on megamen protein powder and milk tastes better with better mouthfeel, but it’s too sweet for something you’re eating day to day. Soylent 1.0 has a better “complete” feeling to it. Awesome stuff. Waiting on the gas - next meal is in 3 hours.