Gross Discrepancies Regarding the Vitamin K Content of Oats

I’ve posted my German DIY recipe on the Soylent subreddit for feedback, and a user from the US remarked on how I got my Vitamin K wrong. So obviously I checked, but nope: According to almost every european source I can find, the content is 63ug of Vitamin K per 100g of Oat Flour. I’ve written to the manufacturer of the oat flour I use, but haven’t heard back yet.

This isn’t just random nutrition sites, either - my search included several national nutrition databases as well as various universities.

This is more than one order of magnitude more Vitamin K than US sources list. The USDA lists 3.2ug per 100g of oats.

If the US have it right, my recipe is severely short on Vitamin K - but if I the EU sources have it right I’d risk an overdose by adding another vitamin supplement. What do?

On both sides of the atlantic I was unable to turn up any more information on how these numbers are obtained, or why they differ. In fact, I didn’t even find a single article even mentioning this difference, or any indication anybody ever noticed this. Then again, perhaps I just suck at google.

Did anybody else run into this problem or at least notice its existence? Or do I suck that bad at google that I was unable to find the obvious answer? I’d appreciate any input on the matter.

Can you link a picture of the 63ug? from searching the web I can only find much lower values, Leading me to believe that your high 63ug value is wrong, unless it was enriched with vitamin K for some reason.

This is one of the reasons I stopped using Oats in my DIY and ultimately why I stopped making my own. I hope you find an answer.

I wrote a couple manufacturers asking about the discrepancies between their and others’ products. The responses led me to lose a lot of faith in nutrition labels. They were very vague and non-committal.

I assume what we’re seeing here are different strains of oats with differing nutritional values. I have read that oats have been heavily modified/cross bread with barleys and such to increase yield, heartiness, etc. So I would expect there are several main varieties of Oats used in these products.

My Oat Flour doesn’t have Vitamin K listed on the label (the reason I mailed the manufacturer)
But here’s a link to two German sources:

(1) http://www.naehrwertrechner.de/naehrwerte-details/C133001/Hafer%20Flocken/

It proclaims to take its data from the national German food databank (Bundesernährungsschlüssel), which itself is sadly behind a paywall.

(2) http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/goldinge/vitamink.htm

from the Gutenberg-University in Mainz. Scroll down to the letter H in the middle column - Oats are “Hafer” in German. It lists, in this order: Oat flakes 63; whole oat grain 50; groats 53; oat flour 63; whole grain oat flakes 63; oat flake cookies 42. The numbers next to the items are Vitamin K in ug.

PS: I just searched explicitly for french sources. From what I found they agree with the US ones and mostly list “1-10ug” or also 3.2ug. I can’t access the EU database itself, my best guess now is that the articles I found wrongly cite the EU but actually get their data from the german national database, and that this national database simply contains an error. Which is pretty fucked up, seeing how it’s a bloody national database. Makes me pretty ashamed for whoever runs that thing right now.

I highly doubt that different strains could somehow account for a twentyfold difference in Vitamin K content. After further research I found that the french, too, agree with the US and have similar numbers - My working hypothesis right now is that whoever runs the German national food database fucked up badly.

LOL, totally within the realm of possibility re: Germany.

My discrepancies were not as great, but great enough that it really influenced my formula when changing brands. I was thinking that since gluten content can vary greatly perhaps K could be related.