Grove's "50/30/20" Soylent Recipe

Yesterday, I happened to be reading Popular Science and read about the Soylent article featured in it. A liquid diet is quite intriguing and I’m someone who sometimes just gets bored of eating during a meal. I’ve never fully considered to just liquid, but if you are getting the proper macro- and micro-nutrients I don’t see the problem. And it would give full knowledge of all the ingredients being put into my body. Quite spectacular I think, and I’m sure the rest on the forum think similarly.

Anyways, I decided to calculate what the macro’s would be for a liquid diet with 3 items I already own, and are easy to get more of.

My proposed recipe:
Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass (1.5 Cups)
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey (3 scoops)
Whole Milk (6 Cups)

Carbs: 281g
Protein: 157.5g
Fats: 56g

Total Calories: 2258 calories

You could divide that recipe 3 in order to split the shake into 3 meals during the day. Also, you could easily adjust the recipe to intake a higher calorie amount if needed while still keeping about 50% Carbs, 30% Protein, and 20% Fat. This could be used for those looking to put on muscle mass while on a liquid diet. I will calculate all the micronutrients when I get a chance. I think they will come out nicely, except for sugar. That may be high, not sure the safe range of sugar to consume each day. Thought I’d share.

OH, and this recipe would cost only $146.4 a month (4 weeks) Just thought I’d share. Feedback is welcome. I did most of this just out of curiosity. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

You have no fiber. You need fiber. Seriously, you will regret it if you don’t. Fiber keeps the friendly critters living in your gut from starving and they keep the unfriendly ones from taking over (to oversimplify vastly).
Your fats are not balanced. You should check the omega3 vs omega6 lipids and make the ratio as close to 1:1 as you can, but if that’s not possible, no more than 5:1 in either direction.
Without any other food sources, you need to be certain you are neither overdosing nor under-dosing the micronutrients. There are numerous discussions on this group that will help with that discussion. Look under the other recipes. There’s also discussion about the benefits of soluble vs insoluble fiber, but you want to have some of both.

As an added note, I’m not sure about getting the majority of your calories from carbohydrates. When I asked about using Agave Syrup, it came up that having less fat can actually be detrimental to your diet when its replaced with carbohydrates (awesome video talking about that here).

For me personally, a low-carb diet has actually been significantly more effective than a higher-carb one. Obviously YMMV.

I’m surprised, but whole milk actually has a really good omega-6/3 ratio at 1.6:1. Here’s the nutrient breakdown. With six cups per day, whole milk also provides all of the Vitamin D, B2, B12, calcium and phosphorous that you need, though you’ll need to find other sources for the other micronutrients.

The downside is that it would need to be refrigerated. You can’t casually carry it around in a nalgene as you go about your day. I would also wonder how long it lasts after mixing. IIRC, Rob’s original formula used a milk derivative and went rancid in about a day.

Here is all the macro and micronutrients in my proposed recipe, with fiber added now. Take 6 scoops of ON Fiber (5g a serving), meaning 2 per shake if broken into 3 shakes during day. Also, I chose the macro ratios, as it is a common one for people looking to workout and build muscle. And yes, I would say unlikely you could bring this around but it would be relatively easy to chug 1/3 of the recipe 3 times during the day. Each shakes about 20 oz. Feel free to critique, please do.
[URL=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/nthj/media/3xShakeplusfiberPic_zpsc78e22ba.jpg.html][/URL]

That’s astonishing. I recalled reading that modern dairy farming practices had caused a change in fat rations in whole milk, and I’m gratified to learn otherwise.

Although, the saturated vs unsaturated ratio there is not kind.

For the micronutrients, a lot depends on your gender, age and lifestyle. But there’s a few that pop out as definitely too low–Vitamins C and K and some of the minerals. Here’s the IOM’s table for Dietary Reference Intakes. The macro ratio looks good to me, it’s pretty close to the 50/25/25 I’m aiming for, although everyone here has a different opinion on the best macro ratio.