Guide - Soylent Pitcher Disassembly & washing instructions

Continuing the discussion from Grand Unboxing for a first time consumer [Soylent 1.3, Ordered June 28, Delivered Fri Dec 19]:

I’ve seen a number of threads regarding the size of the orifice in the Soylent pitcher being too small to clean. So I wanted to put this thread together to help anyone else who has that problem.

I apologize in advance for the pictures being taken on top of the stove counter top (black background). I don’t have any other cleared off space (Whoever designed the kitchen was an idiot and we are planning do remodel it this year. But for now, there is not enough counter space for food prep, let alone trying to show off the Soylent pitcher. And all the other surfaces in the house are all dark wood. It looks great in the house, but it’s horrible for taking photos of the Soylent pitcher.)

1. First, the pitcher fully assembled (as it came in the box) http://i.imgur.com/BAlvWkvb.jpg
  2. Second, the pitcher with the pour top removed. http://i.imgur.com/CTLaSzXb.jpg
  3. Third, the pitcher with both the pour top, as well as the handle removed from the plastic carafe base. (stacked on top of each other)
  4. Fourth, All items side-by-side http://i.imgur.com/M8PD5UQb.jpg

Dis-assembly instructions:

1. Remove the pour top by unscrewing counter-clockwise until the top is no longer attached to the handle-top.
  2. Remove the handle-top by holding the carafe base in one hand and the handle-top in the other and twisting the handle-top counter-clockwise to the carafe base.
  3. Remove the non-skid rubber handle from the handle-top by pulling the non-skid rubber handle down/away from the handle.

Wash.
Reassemble in reverse.

You didn’t mention two absolutely VITAL (but easily overlooked) items:

1. Remove the gasket seal from the pour top
  2. Remove the rubber gasket from the handle

They both WILL get a very gross buildup of residue under them, that you won’t see and that will not come clean in the dishwasher (in my experience anyway). Fortunately it’s easy to get both of the items out and wash them (and their plastic housings) out.

1. Use a butter knife to slide under the gasket, and it simply slips right off
  2. Same approach at the one open spot with access to the gasket, and then a firm tap with the gasket facing downwards and it should fall right out.

Sometimes if they’re ever stubborn, I heat them under hot water for a moment to relax them a tad, and it helps.

Good to have this posted, so thanks for sharing!

Thanks @vanclute - that’s a great addition!

Semantics, but I love how for “Disassembly & washing instructions” the only step for washing is just “Wash” and it’s not even numbered. How do I wash it? Do I soak it in warm water? Do I use an industrial pressure washer? Can I use solvents such as turpentine? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I am one of those people who, even after completely taking the thing apart, can barely fit my hand inside; and my hands aren’t even that big! For the most part I just throw it in the dishwasher, but if I need it clean now and can’t wait for the dishwasher to be full to run, I have to wash by hand. Therein lies the problem: I can barely fit my hand in there. So I’ll throw it in the dishwasher anyway and get my larger pitcher that’s easier to clean (it’s opening is like 9 inches across and only cost $5).

What is this, a pitcher for ants?

I’ve handwashed them…but are all the pieces dishwasher safe?

Yes dishwasher safe for all parts. I’ve had one disassembled in the dishwasher almost every night for 1 1/2 years. I have 3 pitchers. If you don’t have a dishwasher or don’t want to wait get a long handled bottle brush. Put some hot water and dish soap in and give it a scrub. Put the other pieces in hoot soapy water, remove the o rings and wash them. Rince everything with hot water and allow to air dry.

I rarely even do anything but shake the heck out of the pitcher full of hot soapy water and let it sit for a good couple hours, then rinse thoroughly and clean the gaskets. Maybe once every month or two I’ll run 'em through the dishwasher. As long as they don’t sit for any length of time mostly empty - as the Soylent will adhere quite firmly to the sides at that point - then they always come out plenty clean enough to make the next batch.

In a thread about what types of Soylent Merchandise we want, @asympt suggested putting the logo on these Italian Glass pitchers sold by The Container Store for $10. At 5-1/4" x 6-1/4" x 7-1/2" this will fit any fridge door that’s deep enough for a 1- gallon milk jug.

I think the opening is bigger than those of the current pitcher made by Takeya making hand washing the interior easy. I bought one and posted these pix of the lid because some were worried about the seal. Executive summary: Don’t sweat the seal.

The Takeya pitchers are far from ideal. That people feel like posting instructions for how to wash that monstrosity is just funny. Rather than make that argument yet again, I created a dedicated site advocating my preferred alternative. Maybe Rosa Labs will eventually take my suggestion:

I really like the Takea pitchers personally, they work great and I’ve never had any trouble at all washing them. I have moderately big hands I guess (just about 1.5 octave reach on the piano) but never have any trouble cleaning them whatsoever, though I didn’t know about the seals until recently and was sure glad I discovered that they need cleaning too.

I’ve been saying the same thing for a while now in some other threads; I agree completely. I hate the thing, and there’s better alternatives. (personally, I just grabbed a cheap plastic 2.25L sealed pitcher from the local grocery store for like $5 - works perfect, cleans super easy & actually fits in my fridge UPRIGHT)

That said, I’m sure they’ll come up with their own design, in time.

I like the Takeya too, well enough that I have seven. I bought so many so that I could just toss them in the dishwasher without worry of not having a pitcher available. The dishwasher is typically full of glasses by the time I load the fourth or fifth pitcher, so it’s always worked well. I would definitely recommend them.

FYI, I’ve never bothered with tools to remove the gaskets. The handle ring tends to pop out with a good downward flick of the wrist, the cap ring can easily be removed by sticking your thumb underneath to pop it out.

While I’ve not tried it, the Frigovere (I think it’s the same as sold at The Container Store?) does look like it would also work well. I don’t believe I’ve seen any other specific pitchers recommended, so if anyone has something specific please post a link.

@jelder, Your link took me after a couple of steps to here: a screw top 2L plastic jar for $21 . I agree that it’s a fine choice but 2 Takeyas for $19.99 or one Frigover for $9.99 seem a better value to me.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OBYW4M/