Has anybody found the perfect multivitamin yet?

I was wondering if anybody found the perfect multivitamin (preferably with not much iron - since men/women need different doses)? I found a lot, but many go over and come very close to daily ULs… I want something that is close to 100% in almost everything and if it does go over it’s for the vitamins/minerals that don’t have a UL.

Just wondering what everybody’s method was to getting close. I’ve seen a lot of spreadsheets, but I don’t think people realize their ULs…

I don’t know about perfect but this one is working for me http://labeling.bayercare.com/omr/online/oad-men-health-formula.pdf

I have: Men’s Life Force Multiple by Source Naturals

but watch out, I’ve noticed 2 different versions of it, both looking exactly the same except, one having 100% of iron and the other does not, according to nutrient facts

I got mine from iherb’s ebay store, they had the one without the iron which I prefered, but now its out of stock because of me :smiley:

edit: official link http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1839/

This is close enough for me, and is available at multiple stores in my area (southern California, USA) http://www.naturemade.com/products/multivitamins/multi-for-him

Not sure what is up with the manganese, though. Perhaps I will ask. If I get an answer, I’ll post it.

I’m taking Rainbow Light Men’s One: http://www.rainbowlight.com/just-once-multivitamins-mens-one-multivitamin.aspx. But I’m only taking half of one tablet a day, which pushes a couple nutrients below 100% (I’m getting plenty of zinc, manganese, and vitamins A, D, E and K from other sources, so this was preferable, but I did have to add molybdenum, niacin and vitamin c supplements). It won’t cover you for several of the big nutrients — potassium, magnesium, calcium, choline, phosphorus — but few supplements do. Also, no iron or iodine. But I like that it includes bioflavonoids, enzymes and probiotics.

If you’re using oats you can probably cut out molybdenum. According to this 41 grams should get you the RDI

Thanks. That’s good to know. I didn’t notice that the resources I was using for nutrient data (http://nutritiondata.self.com & http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb) didn’t include molybdenum.

They also don’t include sulfur either, which I’ve been estimating based on the amount of sulfur-containing amino acids, but this doesn’t include all forms of sulfur.

With the whole topic of synthetic vs natural sources of the micronutrients coming up I am also trying to finalise a multivitamin. So far I have narrowed down on Centrum and Nutrilife. Any suggestions?

I like Optimum Opti-Men.

I think Verve or any Vemma product is the best when it comes to nutrition. It’s got 100% DV full spectrum vitamins and minerals (I think you said you don’t want too many minerals though). And it’s extremely cheap for what it is.

http://www.vemma.com/vemma/ - this page has more info but if you’re unsure of anything you can talk to me I guess. I’m not trying to sound like I’m marketing anything to you though.

Costco brand Kirkland Formula Forte for Men multivitamin, its cheap and has most micros. It works out to less then $0.04 per day

Has anybody found the perfect multivitamin yet?

Yes.
A German Soylent maker I talk with found it: http://www.abtei.de/produkte/vitamine/multivitamine/az_complete.jsp

Calcium and Magnesium still need supplementation, and there’s no phosphorus - but that’s it.
Extras included are Gingko biloba extract and Lutein.

German Amazon link:

It is shipped to the EU at the very least - I only tested for Ireland though.

Cost without shipping: €5.99 for 42 days = €0.14 per day
Shipping to Ireland is €4.86, no matter if you buy one or 5.
So, cost with shipping: €29.95+€4.86 for 210 days = €0.17

Your other option is http://www.vitaganic.com/

They will make what ever combination you want. They dont include some ingredients or down the the specific weights… some are minimum 25mg depending on the item and increment every 25mg or 100mg.

I think a tad expensive but at least you get what you want… only in capsules but they told me they are looking in to powder version down the track.

I think there can be some problems with getting almost everything from such a multi.
Especially for minerals, absorption rate of different forms differ very much.

Magnesium oxide is as good absorbed as a placebo for example. So let’s say you got a multi with 100% magnesium oxide, then you may get a deficiency for magnesium. I’m not sure for other minerals, but for most it is better to go for an organic forum such as -gluconate, -glycinate etc.

The multi I am going with:

Has almost everything in the optimum forms, and is well balanced (zinc / copper etc), a nice spread of e’s and a’s

A couple of things to note about it:

1)It ain’t cheap. I don’t have much of an issue with paying for a v good multi, since I am making savings from not buying fruit / veg etc. Rather have natural / better forms.

2)It is 6 doses to make up the daily. Again, better forms usually = more bulk. Something of a bonus for my version of soylent actually, as I will probably be using 4 or 5 per day as some of the other components and food / ingredients will cover the rest.

The only real prob with this multi is I had to order it from the US, which means I will no doubt get stung at UK customs as they hate me :wink:

Haha you aren’t joking on the price: http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-Core-Capsules-Brand-Orthomolecular/dp/B0018KKOQG/

BUT - If it covers most of everything the price might come out to be the same. For all of my micros I’m spending ~1.71/day… if this has all of the micros it’ll cost ~1.86/day. That price would be worth it to not have to buy multiple items. I’ll do the math and break it down in a little bit.

Look at the Niacin… am I reading it right in seeing that it’s 3x the UL??

I had actually missed that :o

My understanding however is the regular form causes flushing if used at higher dosages, but inositol hexanicotinate doesn’t. Afaik the UL on Niacin is primarily concerned with flushing, but I need to look into this further (and also find out why such an oddly high amount has been included).

It is a strange one actually, Niacin is well known to have a positive impact on cholesterol (lowers ldl and trig, raises hdl) and there seem to be benefits for some mental health issues. The form used in this multivitamin (though it seems to bypass the flushing issues) doesn’t have the research to back it up for the positive benefits, so, in summary, not sure why they used this form, or this amount :wink:

Will post my findings whatever they may be.

Received a response from AOR, here it is:

"Hello Rob,

Thank you for your email. The dosage of Niacin used in Ortho Core maybe above the RDA but it is important to consider that the RDA is the dosage of Niacin that is thought to be optimal for the general population. It is generally calculated by increasing the AI by 20% and is not based on any clinical findings. The UL in Canada is 500 mg. In the EU where Niacin is used as a pharmaceutical the UL is set much lower. In clinical trials dosages of Niacin ranges between 100mg and over 2000 mg. The inositol hexanicotinate has been used in trials for peripheral vascular disease in dosages of 4000 mg without adverse effects. We have no reason to believe that a dosage of 116 mg would be of concern. Inositol Hexanicotinate tends to be dosed differently than regular niacin as well due to a completely different bioavailability curve. Regular Niacin peaks in plasma concentration after 45 minutes and then decreases rapidly, while inositol hexanicotinate takes up to 10 hours to reach a peak concentration. As Inositol Hexanicotinate is hydrolyzed in the blood stream so slowly, higher doses are required.

There were two reasons Niacin Hexanicotinate was chosen as the form of Niacin to be used by AOR. First, Flushing Niacin reduces compliance among the majority of consumers (some research has put this level at 39%). Most people do not have the patience to continue to use the product until the body becomes used to the flushing effect. We decided against using flushing niacin as it would not be used by a large portion of the population. We could have provided the flushing niacin in a lower dosage, however that would put our dosing below what is considered a therapeutic level, which we feel would significantly reduce the effectiveness of the product. Especially for those concerned with low energy levels. Secondly the forms of non-flushing Niacin currently available carry considerable risk for a percentage of the population. Niacinamide is the most common for used and it is not true niacin but a metabolite of niacin. Some studies have shown up to 52% of those who use Niacinamide over a long term basis develop liver damage. Inositol Hexanicotinate on the other hand has been used at dosages of 4000 mg daily for 4 month stretches has not shown any evidence of liver toxicity or even an increase in liver enzymes.

The evidence for Inositol Hexanicotinate is strongest for those suffering from peripheral vascular disease is stronger than the evidence for lowering blood lipids is true. We agree there needs to be more research done using Inositol Hexanicotinate as a standalone treatment for hyperlipidemia. However with similar pharmacokinetics as regular niacin and a history of clinical use in Europe for hyperlipidemia we believe we have made the right choice on our selection of Niacin. If one is looking to utilize Inositol Hexanicotinate for lowering blood lipids they will be taking a much higher dosage than what is provided in the Ortho Core and should be under the care of a qualified health care practitioner who can monitor their progress and adjust the dosage as needed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you and have a great day,

Katie Lemmon, RHN
Internal Sales and Marketing Coordinator
Product Information and Technical Support
Advanced Orthomolecular Research
Tel: 403-250-9997 or 800-387-0177, ext. 1820
Fax: 403-250-9974 or 877-219-9974
klemmon@aor.ca"

Awesome to see such a comprehensive reply from the manufacturer!