Has anyone thought of using cricket or mealworm flour?

I have been reading a book called “EDIBLE: An Adventure into the World of Eating Insects and the Last Great Hope to Save the Planet” by Daniella Martin.

The nutritional value of cricket flour and meal worm flour are off the charts.
Here is a good short little video on it.

I dunno if the Soylent people did, but the people here have.

(later edit)

Yep. That’s an immediate no go for me.

Aside from any ick factor.

Why would it be a “no go”? Its more nutritional and healthy for you than any other flour. It has far more vitamins and minerals. Not to mention protein.

Is not ever going to be kosher.

Actually that is untrue.
That was covered in the entomophagy book I just read. “Certain insects with legs above their bodies, like grasshoppers or crickets are okay.” Leviticus 11:22 provides the information.

I would imagine availability being the main problem. Cost and taste could be problematic as well.

Its actually pretty cost effective. You can buy crickets and meal worms in bulk. Wax worms as well. The flour is a little more expensive but far more nutritional.

Jah, that may be true that certain specific species may be classified as kosher, but there are significant complications for establishing which specific species qualifies.
To date, there is not an established “kosher” species of grasshopper. And (for reasons i won’t bother going into now) there will probably never be.

Alrighty then. Glad I dont have those constraints. lol

Yep. There’s a reason Jews don’t proselytize. Not an easy pitch.

HAHA! Thats the best thing I have read all day.

Very interested in this issue. While i have no need for kosher flour i find the whole topic intriguing. It seems that many kosher localities permit certain types of locust to be eaten. These are specifically mentioned, and a description of said insect is also given.

Some interpretations could conceivably include crickets and grasshoppers, but you would have to convince a kosher certification group of that interpretation… (Forgive me, i am not Jewish, i am not 100% sure how this process works.)

This likely will never happen.

Interesting phrase, I was wondering if you could be more explicit.

As I mentioned above, there are several complicating factors when it comes to classifying insects as kosher.

Only very specific species of grasshopper/locust/cricket are considered kosher, few people have the entymological skill necessary for distinguishing the correct ones, and messing them up carries some severe penalties. As a result, very few people have the delineated custom and institutional knowledge that would enable them to eat insects without the fear of violating Jewish law.

Like I said, it’s not an easy sell.

I’d be totally in to using insect flour, I just don’t want to have to make it myself. Not because I’m squeamish about killing bugs. Just because I’m lazy. I don’t want to buy rolled oats to make my own oat flour, either.

Only locations that already have a continuous tradition in place of eating locust.

[From good old wikipedia][1]

The Halachah regarding locusts, and all Kosher animals for that matter,[citation needed] is that one is allowed to eat a specific type of animal only if there is a “continuous tradition”, also known as a “mesora”, that affirms that it is Kosher. It is not enough that the locust seems to conform to the criteria mentioned in the Torah. This does not mean that one must possess a ‘personal tradition’ in order to eat locusts. If one travels to a place where the people do have a tradition, the new arrival would also be allowed to eat them. The Yemenite Jews and some others had such a continuous tradition.

It is also worth pointing out that the common names used in the Bible
refer only to color and broad morphological generalities shared by a
huge number of Middle Eastern species. …Which species of locust are actually being referred to in the text is therefore nearly impossible to ascertain.

Therefore only those place that already historically have eaten locust know which ones are okay to eat.

General consensus from my search by a person who is not Jewish leads me to believe that the religion as a whole leans towards considering locust not kosher because they simply don’t know which ones are okay and which ones are not. Better safe than sorry i guess.
[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_locust

That’s basically it. There was a girl in my highschool class from morocco whose family/community had maintained the tradition. So technically SHE could eat locust even though I couldn’t. But neither of us ever wanted to.

There was a Shark Tank episode featuring a fellow wanting funding for cricket flour based health bars. He got funding but the Sharks were going to ask him to focus on the flour itself. So it may be coming. He seemed like a competent sort.

Eve