Have edited a recipe... Now to try!

Hey everyone, I only just found out about Soylent in the last couple of days, but I have been wishing for a way to be healthy and not spend as much on food as I do currently for a while now. I also have an aversion to most food related chores (shopping for food, preparing food, cooking food, cleaning up after food) eating I’m fine with, it’s just all the other nonsense I can’t stand…! I’m from Australia and will therefore have to wait a while until I can purchase legit Soylent so I thought I’d give it a go!

Anyway, I’ve been working on an edited recipe to fit my nutrient needs (as they are slightly more than the 1500cal weight loss ones but significantly less than the 2000cal male recipes). I have got it looking pretty good (I think) and am ready to start ordering the ingredients! I have a couple of questions though, would someone look over it and see if it covers all the nutrients properly?

Everything is green in my nutrient overview… The one thing giving me a bit of unease is the Vitamin A level… It seems really high due to the multi vits used… But I’ve tried swapping another multi in and it left a bunch of other things out… Is Vit A a big problem?

Also, what do people suggest as far as prep, making, storing of food etc?! I don’t own a blender but will buy one if need be, also I’m assuming I’ll need a decent set of scales, and some measuring cups etc? Should the multi vits and calcium + magnesium pills be ground up and added to the mix or should I just take those in the morning separately? Should I mix up all the dry stuff first into pouches per day and then add the oil and milk in right when I add the water?

Sorry for the completely beginner-ish-ness of my befuddled post! But I really look forward to any help/suggestions you more experienced soylenters may have!

here is my nutrient profile and my recipe which is basically the same as the one it’s based on, save for the amounts of ingredients, plus I added almond milk to mine (to add in some calcium that way and remove one of the calcium + magnesium tablets - as too much magnesium isn’t great on my guts)

Hey puddin, gosh that is fun to say. :slight_smile: Where to begin? First, welcome to soylent and DIY. I share your reasons for soylent!

Nutrients look great. You are correct to be wary of Vitamin A levels as it is a fat-soluble vitamin. Fat-soluble vitamins are stored by the body which makes it possible to overdose on them (water soluble vitamins are just flushed out if you have healthy kidneys). However 5,000IU of vitamin A is perfectly safe and you needn’t be concerned.

Many of the ingredients in your recipe are different from mine so I can’t comment on how it will work as far as preparation, however with my recipe I don’t need a blender. I was using one at first but then I realized I didn’t need it. I would recommend a 1kg scale that weighs in .01g increments. Personally I don’t measure with cups or spoons, I go by the scale.

I know other people have crushed up their vitamin pills and added them to the mix, hopefully the taste isn’t too bad. I’m not sure if that is more effective then just swallowing the pill. I have a feeling it would be. (as I mentioned about fat-soluable vitamins many vitamins need to be taken in conjunction with some fat for your body to be able to absorb them, thus I think it would be better to incorporate the vitamins into the mix) That is just theory however. You couldn’t find NOW Calcium & Magnesium powder?

You can mix the oil right into your mix and keep it in the fridge if you like. I do a bit of both, for a batch I’m going to consume within a few days I mix the oil into the powder and then add it to these blender bottles I bought (3 bottles conveniently holds a days serving so I always keep them ready to go in my fridge, just add water). And then for other batches that aren’t going to be consumed within that week (havne’t done that yet, been tweaking my recipe too much to want to prepare more then a days at a time) I plan to keep the oil and powder separate. I bought some nice plastic containers, big ones for the powder, small ones for oil, so should be easy to mix the powder put that in container, add oil to it’s little container, and throw that in the with the powder for easy storage. (kind of like how official Soylent is distributed)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I look forward to hearing how your recipe works for you, especially the ingredients I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply Xander :slight_smile: I’m still fiddling with the recipe, but your tip on the calcium/magnesium powder was SO HELPFUL! The person who’s recipe I was editing had just used tablets, and I didn’t realise there was a powder option, so I’ve got a small amount of that for my mag + some cal, then have also added in calcium citrate powder on it’s own to up the calcium to my requirement!

I will definitely be purchasing myself a digital scale with .01g increments! In fact they sell a pretty decent looking one on the nutrients site I’m getting my WPI etc from… They also sell these empty resealable foil(?) pouches (the same ones as their supps come in) So I’ll probably buy some of those to store the mixed dry ingredients in… I’m guessing you just measure out your ingredients into a bowl and then mix that and decant it into the bottles for the day? And for the mixes your going to store for later you’d just put the measured ingredients into the tub or pouch or bag un mixed? I have just bought myself a couple of Nalgene bottles from eBay, plus a couple of mixer whisk ball things that blender bottles come with (they were like $2 from china) as I figured that would be a good way of divvying up my days worth of soylent… They each hold just under a litre of liquid which should be perfect.

Getting excited about trying this way of eating! Haha :smiley:

Also be aware NOW Calcium & Magnesium changed their formulation. It is no longer 1000/500 ratio, now its a 1:1 ratio so you may need to adjust your recipe accordingly depending on which bottle you received.

I didn’t notice that cohron but you are right. I had the NOW calcium/magnesium powder listed as 1000/500 in my recipe but it is 1:1. Luckily the nutrition information in my recipe was correct, just the name was wrong. So I haven’t been shorting myself on calcium. :smile:

You pretty much got it puddin. If I am going to be consuming a batch of soylent that day I mix together the powders and then mix the oil into the powder and then add that mixture to my bottles and stick 'em in the fridge ready to go (just add water and shake). Many people mix a whole batch at once with water and leave it over night, this would allow water to soften some of the ingredients in the recipe but I find I don’t mind the texture as-is and this way I don’t have to clean up an extra thing.

For the batches that I’m not going to be consuming that day I do mix the powder together, and just have the oil separate. I imagine there is no problem with mixing the oil in and storing it that way… now that I think about it that would be easier and create less mess then trying to mix in my oil later. Only thing that could happen I think would be the vitamins leeching into the oil but I can’t see a problem with that. I know water degrades things and accelerates spoilage which is one reason I don’t like to mix in water too soon, but I don’t think oil would have the same effect. Especially since I toss my prepared mixture in the fridge when I am done with is anyways.

HI puddin! [That is fun to say x) ] In regards to multivitamins, I found you can actually mix them with a bit of water and throw them in a blender and they’ll dissolve pretty readily. For some added homogenization, I’ll add some of the oil for the mix to it as well and blend it a second time.

As others have noted, there’s concern [though limited] on phytic acid in oats and some starch sources, which according to this discussion & research, simply microwaving the powders dry for a couple minutes will easily resolve this. (I found about 3 minutes with a hole in the middle of a bowl of 2 days worth of powders, mixing, and another 2 does this just fine.) I also found it substantially helps the taste if you’re mixing and immediately consuming, but my recipe is also very heavy on almond & oats, so YMMV.

As far as tools & methods go, I know of two so far:

One way (and probably smarter than the one I use below) is to pre-mix all the powders for a number of days dry (can also crush the multivitamins here instead), and then pulling however many grams (roughly 400 - 500g per day), adding oil, and blending it from there.

The second: I would recommend getting some large pitchers that have a sealable top and an immersion blender. This makes it so you can mix large batches (about 4 days worth at a time), and then just pour what you want when you need it. I’ve found I can make 8 days worth without issue, and don’t have to microwave the oats / almonds for the second 4-day batch, as simply sitting in the water / mix will break down the phytic acid content.

Ah, yup, I see now! I went into the ingredient and changed the name to 1:1 and checked the measurements and mine has 400mg of each, so all good in the amounts, just incorrect name! Thanks for the heads up though!

Oh! I had a question/concern to note on the lowered number of calories for the purposes of weight loss.

I’m not sure if it’s a very popular opinion, but so far I’ve come to the notion that a lower calorie diet on soylent might actually be a pretty bad idea.

One of the main points on this is that your body might not be able to properly handle the caloric restriction, not the least of which can lead to additional stress on the body in a number of ways, the most basic being a cortisol increase that itself has been linked to weight gain.

From my own experience, an accidental shortage of calories when I first started caused a lot of energy spikes (yay vitamins!) and pitfalls (where’d our sugars and fat go?). Though it might be more expensive, you might want to stick to a higher calorie point and work your way down when you realize you’re just not consuming that much.

I’m a little confused. I thought the only way to lose weight is to consume a deficit calorie amount than you burn. I arbitrarily chose a 500 kcal deficit per day reading that 3,500 calories = 1 pound to I could safely lose 1 pound per week without too much stress.
Turns out I lost 2-3 pounds per week the few 3 weeks, then it slowed to what I think will average to about 1 pound per week.
Is your thought process that our bodies will naturally go back to its ‘ideal’ weight without a conscience effort? On your part, I do consume less soylent and muggle food now then before. I wonder if I could stop my hard measurements and let my body tell me how much to eat without gaining my weight back.
Interesting.

It’s actually specifically this mindset that I would refute, and trepidatiously so because it is a Very Popular opinion, and usually results in a lot of opposition or fang baring. I totally understand the attraction to it, though; it’s an appeal to reductionism, that losing weight is a Simple Manner, and Anyone Can Do It, supported by the Law of Thermodynamics no less!, when in fact that’s not always the case(see cortisol study above). Anecdotally it may work, but, again, the stress you cause on your body could very well cause your body to ‘rebound’ the second it gets a higher calorie content in.

Unfortunately, it ends up missing a great deal on not only how the body responds to decreased calorie intake (stress), to different types of food (eg: how artificial sweeteners can throw off the body’s response of what it believes it is consuming 1, thus screwing over attempts at ‘calorie counting’), but also how your individual gut bacteria function (eg: in preliminary research, you can make larger mice skinny by giving them a skinny person’s gut flora).

In regards to your body going back to its ‘ideal’ weight, I wouldn’t even say that much. You may in fact need to be calorie strict, but in this case I would posit that you would have to shoot for the number of calories you want at your ideal weight, as opposed to going lower to lose more quicker.

I mostly point all of this out because when you’ve controlled for so many other factors with a diet like Soylent, it might not be a good idea to add an additional, possibly more risky one, where even the most basic studies show that such stressors can themselves increase weight gain.

I think I’ll be ok with the calories, as I’m actually not restricting them at all. I’m a 5’6" 125lb dfab (designated female at birth) my recommended caloric intake was 1594 and my soylent adds up to 1664 so I’m a little over which I think is good. I’m relatively sedentary (I don’t exercise) but I work 4 days a week in a bookshop so lots of walking and shelf stacking, carrying heavy books and climbing up and down ladders, the other 3 days are pretty relaxed - just working at home. I get out in the garden a bit, but I don’t lift weights or do any sort of proper cardio etc. So I probably will be ok with this amount… But it’s easy to add more if I’m losing weight drastically!

No fang baring here…I went back and read the entire article. It’s focuses on two points 1) psychological stress via monitoring calorie intake and 2) biological (cortisol) stress via restricting calorie intake.

I agree with the added stresses of monitoring. I was initially using fitnesspal to monitor calorie intake daily. It was a pain, I felt like I was always thinking about my calories (I am about 90% soylent, 2-3 muggle meals per week). Since then, I have adapted my eating to not ‘monitoring’ perse. I have 3 separate ziplocks of 500 kcal each. When I get up in the morning, I drink one bag, during the course of work, I generally consume another bag. On the way home I consume my last bag. If I am having a nice dinner out that evening, I don’t consume the last bag and if it was a particularly large dinner (I LOVE pizza) I will likely only drink half my morning bag the next day. It is not a major thought process, and I am not constantly thinking ‘calories’. I eat whatever muggle meals I want, however much I want. I never count/monitor the calories. Although I have noticed my portion sizes have gone down. I just don’t have desire to eat half a pizza anymore, 2 or 3 slices is no problem though :smiley: This is not a pure unmonitored approach that was used for scientific study but its as close as I can get.

I have not found a home kit to measure changes in cortisol. I think the premise is if your body feels hungry, then your cortisol levels change. When I ‘feel’ hungry I drink some soylent. I have no idea if that affects my cortisol level.

As the article noted towards the end of the discussion, people should not disregard eating patters or give up on portion control. Lifestyle changes including exercise and not overeating may be the most prudent approach.

How do I know how many calories I want at my ideal weight if I’m not at that weight and my body can’t tell me? All my searching is basically giving the same suggested calorie intake if I weight 185 (current) or 170 (goal).
The article did not attempt to discuss how to get from here to there (good means of losing weight that is not monitor/restricting intake).

I know I am off topic, but this is very thought provoking for me.