Heating Soylent and cross-reaction

Hi, I just ordered soylent and waiting for it to ship. I have been reading all over the Web about soylent and how people use it to make food like cookies. Also, I would think using warm or hot water would decrease the time needed for soylent to dissolve and become homogeneous (with well mixing of course). I wonder if the nutrients in soylent would react with one another under higher temperature (or even room temperature). Are there any study about the effect of temperature on soylent with water as solvent? I know it is designed to be perfectly well balance nutritional meal but if the chemical in soylent cross react with each other (especially with catalyze like iron in the mixture) , then what they put in the package may not translate 100% into our body. I probably would stick with the recommended instruction until I get an answer. By knowing the temperature limit of soylent, it would be easier to experiment with different recipe for soylent. I know I’m blahing, please forgive me.

• Chemist but not an expert.

I believe Soylent is stable at room temperature when mixed with water. The effects of heating are not yet known, but common wisdom suggests that the heat breaks down the vitamins to a certain extent.

But at room temperature, there are no reactive issues. Though warm water does effect the seal in the Takeya picture and isn’t recommended with it.

Thanks for answering quickly. Still hoping for more details or study.

They should be fine up to body temps (37C or 98.6F). I don’t know that I would boil the solution, just for safety sake. From a quick mental run through they should be fairly stable and non reactive, but I also don’t know the chemical structures of all the vitamins off the top of my head.

One guy mentioned having used boiling water and it resulted in a thick consistency

In the beta program, some customers made their Soylent as a porridge by using a little less water and heating it up on either a stove or microwave.

Vitamin C and Omega-3 will certainly be eliminated by heating. But that’s easily remedied with a vitamin-c tablet and an omega-3 pill. If you are experiencing greater than normal gas, this should help eliminate it as heating up oats a la oatmeal seems to get rid of the problem.

@livingparadox I haven’t actually seen the seal being affected by warm water. Can you link to thread please?

Data point: I’ve cleaned mine with warm water and have had the seal very clearly leak (i.e. suds and water very clearly bubbling out).

this has been covered here and yield a genius table of effects on various vitamins and minerals during preparation: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/vitamin-loss-due-to-heating-and-diy-soylent/12888

I don’t quite remember where I read that… And a quick google search seems to suggest that Takeya handles hot liquids just fine… so I might just be remembering incorrectly.

I’d swear that I saw somewhere that you aren’t supposed to fully tighten the lid until the beverage cools. (Hot water can cause extra pressure in the pitcher, causing the seal to fail.)

Thank yall for responding quickly and logically. I hope to keep the discussion going and I will do a bit of searching as well. Thanks again.

When I get my soylent, I will see if I can do a casual study on the nutrient lost in my lab.

@leung_chi_hang - I’m definitely looking forward to you posting your findings!

Some interesting information on this subject was recently posted on /r/soylent:
Soylent : How nutrients change when you heat it and cook it

FYI, I’m not OP.

Since she measured the change in glycemic index after heating and cooking, I’d love to know what the glycemic index actually was in the first place.