Help a noob out

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I have been interested in and following soylent for quite awhile.

Given the delays in shipping that have occurred so far it looks like international shipping is going to be awhile off. As such I have decided to have a look at DIY soylent. I am trying to find a good recipe to start with, unfortunately things are somewhat confusing. I was hoping that someone on here would have some recommendations for a recipe based on what I am trying to get out of soylent.

Firstly I am not intending to completely replace food, however I could quite easily see myself using nothing but soylent 3 to 4 days a week and using it for 2/3 of my meals the rest of the week.

I want it to be in the 2000-2400 calorie range. I would however like a recipe I can increase or decrease the calorie amount until I am happy.

I’m in the UK, in case it matters for some ingredients.

Price isn’t my main concern, while I don’t want it to have a ridiculous cost I would prefer something more expensive if it gives me a closer match to my other requirements. That been said until I get started and know that a recipe is working for me I would prefer not to be dealing with huge quantities of ingredients.

I’m not afraid of measuring several ingredients if it is better than one single ingredient. Although I do need a set of high accuracy scales if anyone has a recommendation.

I would prefer a smoother consistency, I have never liked gritty food.

I would prefer something with a neutral taste so I can add flavourings if I want.

I have had a look at several recipes, the most common one seems to be people chow, however I am very put off by the ratios of protein, carbs and fat(a not uncommon complaint) and the corn taste doesn’t appeal to me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

The best way is copy a recipe like people chow and start playing with the numbers. If you know you are closer to a keto type recipe, then choose one of those as a base. If you scroll down, you can filter by keto and others. Taste is all over the board. I also searched for 100% completeness but don’t rule out 90% either, often it is just one thing that is short and may not be a big deal.

Make sure to check the nutrient profile. The first thing I do is to change the profile to the USDA so I can see how it stacks up. I’m not married to the USDA profile, but it serves as a good base and some of the hommade profiles are whack.

You want to be sure that the recipe is either very popular, or the author is very descriptive, or both. The popular recipes will have been peer reviewed many times and their nutrient profile and ingredients will have been well vetted. This is not the same for all recipes. Short of that, you can pick a recipe whose author seems to know what he is talking about. Look at the notes sections.

I am not very knowledgable and do not trust myself to get all the nutrient info right, so I chose not to manually add any ingredients myself. I used a base recipe then added milk and bananas (which came from the USDA site).

If you want smooth, blending is key.

You can buy most of the ingredients in smaller sizes although this will greatly increase cost.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Cheers,

Paul

hi, i can recommand you my recipe. Search your own multivitamine in the UK.
The oat powders are slightly gritty, when freshly mixed. When you leave it for an hour in the fridge, then it is really fine. Bulkpowders is my main supplier. They are from the UK. They are fast and reliable.
They also deliver in smaller quantities.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/hoyers-taste

Thanks both for the info. I’m looking at a number of recipes, @hoyer I will add yours to the list. Thanks for the link to Bulkpowders, they seem to have most things at decent prices and you can’t argue with free shipping.