Help me get started with DIY Soylent

I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m ready to take the plunge with DIY Soylent. Maybe folks could give me some advice on a few things. I’m a 33 year old male, ~175 pounds. I strength train 2-4 times/week. My general plan is to do breakfast and lunch with soylent, then muggle dinner. I’ll also add an extra 40-60 grams of protein to daily diet.

Questions:

• looks like People Chow is the most popular recipe. It sure looks easy to acquire and make. Are any of its design decisions controversial? What motivates folks to use other recipes?
  • to do 1 meal a day, what should be my general approach – simply use the same amount of micronutrients, but cut out 1/3 of the macros? or should i also cut out 1/3 of the micros and assume i’ll get them from the muggle dinner? (example typical muggle dinner: lettuce and vegetables salad, meatballs, apple for dessert).
  • anyone have an accurate and cheap balance to recommend?
  • anyone have a assembly methodology to recommend? (prepare X days of powder… mix X hours/days in advance…)

Thanks for any advice!

Sending out a Bat Signal to @kennufs. Assembly is his game. :slight_smile:

Commissioner @Briby calls, I must answer :slight_smile:

Check out this thread for a few examples on how folks are set up, it’s still a new thread so I’m sure more examples will be added. @Chris_Bair has a video demonstration of how he builds, he is also using People Chow. I also have a few notes under the notes tab of my recipe, along with links to some of the tools I have found helpful.

I tend to prep 2-4 weeks of the powders at a time, I find it more convenient to spend a little more time at once, then a little less time more often. I mix up the daily batch with water the day before consuming, it gels better and should have a smoother feel with more time to soak.

I think People Chow is so popular because it is one of the simpler recipes to make, and has been around for quite a while. One of the chief complaints I see most often for People Chow is how carb heavy it is, another is that some folks tend to tire of the corn tortilla taste. Even if you decide the ratio is wrong for you though, it should be fairly easy to tweak the macros to fit your needs.

I would probably shoot to get all of the micros in the mix, unless you see that your muggle meals are going to be heavy on some nutrient that may become dangerous. I have found a benefit of DIY is that you may pay better attention to your overall diet and what nutrients you are getting.

Good luck, and welcome to DIY :slight_smile:

Welcome!
There are a couple reasons I was moved to make my own recipe:

1. Kosher - I needed to be very particular with what I was sourcing and from where.
  2. BMR - My body behaves in a very wonky manner, and I was looking for something personalized that synced up with it.
  3. Carbs - As @kennufs stated, many recipes are very carb heavy, and I was more interested in a lower carb diet.
  4. Neutral profile - I wanted to avoid extra sweeteners because I wanted a base I could experiment with. I’m one of the few on the forum who regularly bakes my soylent, so I wanted a blank canvas. Yesterday I made pizza and pumpkin cheesecake from the same basic mix. The only things that changed were the spices and toppings.
  5. Fun - I’m interested in puzzles, and I really just wanted to kick around and see what I came up with. I love the experiment. Same reason I’ve brewed my own beer.

I’m an information junkie and an economist. Optimizing nutrition, efficiency, and cost pushes all the right buttons for me.

In terms of assembly, I bought a gigantic canister from Target with one of those quasi-waterproof tops.
I typically mix a week at a time into the canister, starting with the smallest measurements first. An extra couple grams of flour won’t matter, but will make a big difference with Choline or Mag-Cal-Citrate. Since I’m using larger measurements, I don’t need as much accuracy on the scale - mine is only accurate in whole grams, but can hold several kilos.

Baked soylent keeps well. I make several days at a time in different varieties, which I divvy up and eat throughout the day. So I can have my barbecued soylent with my soylent curry and eat chocolent for dessert. :smiley:

For the micros, it may be difficult to round out the recipe when you’re only using part of the day. Cutting 1/3 is easiest by stretching out 2 days of powder to cover 3 days of shakes. Any overage or deficiency should be minimal if you’re eating decent food.

@chris_bair made a video of making three days worth of PeopleChow

I dont like masa so i use a combination of oat flour, tapioca starch, masa, and higher on the protein.

In the PeopleChow recipe, soybean oil is used for its touted vitamin K. Vitamin K degrads quickly (like in 24-48 hours quickly) in oil exposed to light (artificial anjd sun both work). It sits in bright light all day everuday at the store before you buy it. Therefore i do not trust the K content of Soybean oil. I use olive oil and a K supplement.I alternate between

and

I definitely didn’t respond well to the People Chow original recipe at 53/17/30. I adjusted to 40/30/30 and am still using soybean oil, though might switch to adding a supplement if needed. Note my recipe is for 2400 calories, not 2000.

I had to buy a new scale yesterday. Got this one, 25 bucks and it’s nice enough. (I have a prime membership, so I always look for stuff available via prime.) The delivered item can measure up to 28lbs, while the information on Amazon says only 11. Not sure why it goes up higher, but no complaints from me. I have a much smaller (2 point) scale for smaller measurements. The model number matches what Amazon said, ZK14-S.

thanks @kennufs and @isaackotlicky for the info. i think i am going to go lower carb than people chow, and also i don’t want the artificial flavors from the gnc powder.

i’ll go with full micros for the time being, pending further research.

@vwbugg thanks for the vitamin-k info. have a favorite olive oil?

@evilOlive so that scale you linked to doesn’t go down to small enough measurements for the micros? @chris_bair, you are using the same scale for micros and macros in your video – would you recommend i go that round and if so, which scale is that?

I’ve been using this scale that goes from .01g-500g, so it does work for all of my ingredients, and so far I have been pleased with it. You can speed up your measuring by utilizing the tare function, although I do weigh my big three ingredients separately.

As to EVOO, I have been using and like Iliada. I think that the 2 liter size is currently cheapest, but the 3 liter comes in a tin so light degradation is not a concern.

I have always sworn by Kirkland Olive oil (From Costco, and be sure to not get the blend, i got it by accident last time). I have always felt it tasted better and was fresher. Guess what? In a study by Uc Davis it actually is one of the best!

UC Davis no longer has the reports on their site!

Here is the 2010 from the Internet Archive
Here is the 2011 from the Internet Archive

I think it was the 2010 that had Kirkland Olive oil, but it is not playing nice with my firefox plugin right now, i cant look at it.

here is the scale I’m using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SC3LLS/ - if I recall it’s the same model MaxK uses. I used to use one that I got from Harbor Freight but it wasn’t very responsive. Since most of my micronutrients are in the MegaMan Sport it’s easy enough to use the same scale

The scale I linked supposedly goes down to 1g measurements, but I prefer a 2 point scale for smaller measurements, and use the big scale for the larger stuff. Just personal preference and it probably doesn’t matter at all.

that is the scale that i ordered that is giving me 2 gram increments. fyi

You dont mean that do you? You mean it goes to hundreths of a gram right?

No, the scale I linked, and the one in the box matches the model number sold by Amazon, but the specs are actually wrong. It’s a 28kilo scale, not an 11 or 14 kilo scale (I forget what it said on the site) and instead of 1 gram increments, it’s 2 gram increments.

The scale definitely isn’t what is advertised and if anyone bought it, Amazon will refund or replace it at their expense if you send it back. For me it works fine, but if it’s your only scale, I’d say you want something else.

If anyone is interested, I’m building out my recipe in this thread: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/join-me-as-i-build-out-happy-chow/11829