Help Reducing Cost/Optimizing a Keto Recipe?

Hey all. This is my first soylent recipe. I’m having trouble getting the price down to where I want it, less than 7$ a day, without compromising nutrition or quality of ingredients. This may be impossible but I figured it would be worth asking if anything in my recipe stands out as an obvious inefficiency or unnecessary component. Note that the nutritional profile is custom so viewing in the recipe editor is recommended.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

The daily saturated fat is enormous, way above the recommended maximum 10% of calories. That comes from the coconut oil, you could probably replace it with a better and cheaper oil. You can reduce the price by reducing the daily amount of protein, 126g is probably more than you’re using.

Oil and protein are your biggest expenditures but you could also replace the cacao powder with cocoa powder at no quality loss for taste.

Good points on the protein and cocoa powder. There’s actually a lot of interesting research regarding saturated fats that indicates they are, under ketogenic conditions, the most easily metabolize-able fats. Polyunsaturated fats are necessary but should not exceed ~4% of caloric intake and mono-unsaturated fats are fine but sources of mono-unsaturated fats without significant portions of polyunsaturated fats seem to not exist. I would use a different source of saturated fats but I can’t find a better alternative. Most dairy products are sketchy or extremely expensive and lard seems like a bad idea (though a possibility now that I think of it.)

You could probably use a mix of olive oil and coconut oil (instead of just coconut oil) to reduce costs, while still keeping your omega-6 levels relatively low.

Protein is going to be the biggest expense - what other sources have you considered?

It’s not ketogenic but you can cannibalize its ingredients to make your recipe cheaper and reduce the number of ingredients.

https://diy.soylent.com/recipes/soylent-green-11

Wait, cocoa/cocao are the same. I’m an idiot. What are you talking about.

I’ve found a mix of coconut oil and macadamia oil that works well, spurred by your comment. Olive oil just seemed to have too much O6 to balance. I used pea/rice because it was the most efficient ‘complete’ protein, as in no excess amino acids, but I suppose that excess is fine if the overall cost is lower. Anything you would recommend? I know some people say that soy/whey may not be the best options.

[quote=“Ameslari, post:6, topic:24876”]
Wait, cocoa/cacao are the same.
[/quote]Basically yeah, but if a company calls it cacao they can charge more for it. If they put raw, organic, antioxidants, and cacao on the label they can jack up the price a good 40-50%, like the one you’ve got selected from Amazon. Since you’ve already got Sam’s Club on your source list I’m betting you can go in there and find cocoa powder for a much cheaper price, things are more expensive off Amazon than at a bulk reseller like Sam’s.

Oh, true. The Sam’s Club link is actually an accident, I don’t have a membership but the local co-op does sell bulk cocoa powder for lower prices, I should use that. Should probably check for other components as well.

If your body does fine with soy or whey then it may be worthwhile - they do have excellent amino acid profiles and any purported drawbacks are long-term and subtle. I don’t know how long you intend to be on your keto recipe, but if it’s not a long-term thing you may consider it. If there were an easier shortcut to inexpensive protein powder than we’d all be using it.

If your body does fine with soy or whey then it may be worthwhile - they
do have excellent amino acid profiles and any purported drawbacks are
long-term and subtle. I don’t know how long you intend to be on your
keto recipe, but if it’s not a long-term thing you may consider it. If
there were an easier shortcut to inexpensive protein powder than we’d
all be using it.

I am planning to use it long term. I realised I can get protein down to ~2.50 a day by buying in larger quantities from the same supplier (bulk discount + more efficient shipping price.) I’m down to 6.92 a day overall and I’m guessing there are some changes I can make to my micro-nutrient sources to pull out that last .40. That or use an even cheaper non-alkalized cocao powder and add something (perhaps stevia if it seems fine for long term use and is cost effective,) to counteract the increased bitterness. Though I guess at that point I’m getting ahead of myself, have to taste it before I can start fixing the taste.

It’s looking like I can remove some ingredients by getting a more comprehensive multivitamin. What do you all think about the concerns regarding the safety of magnesium stearate?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the magnesium stearate. It’s in everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

You know, you could actually reduce your protein costs by just using less of it. I really doubt you’d need more than 100g per day, especially if you’re only doing 1750 calories.

That’s what I had read but there’s enough concern floating around the net that I figured it was worth asking.

All of the keto calculators I have used recommend at least .8 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass, which comes out to 118g for me. Do you have a different experience/source? I’m not certain of it, just working from what I’ve read.

What is your weight and % body fat? How are you measuring the %?

~175lbs and ~16% body fat. Just a visual estimate based on reference photos, I don’t have callipers or easy access to anyone trained to use them.

The 0.8g/lb lean body mass is a safe overestimation of amount of protein based on rigorous studies of active body builders. The actual maximum any good study has found for any beneficial effects even for novice body builders is around 0.7-0.75g, which was then ratcheted up to 0.8g just to be safe. So that’s the amount of protein you want if you’re an active body builder trying to get every single percentage of muscle mass you can, if you’re not a body builder and not worried about increasing your gains by 5% you can easily do less. 100g protein is a safe estimate for you, that would be ~0.67g per lb LBM, but probably you won’t even use that much. My main worry is that 1750 calories will be too low for you, unless you’re trying to lose weight.

edit: for the record most research only finds benefit for body builders up to 0.65g/lb, the 0.7-0.75g are already outliers.

Oh, excellent, I wouldn’t say I’m a body builder so .8 is definitely too much. I am trying to lose some weight, 1750 may be too steep of a cut but that will be easy to fix if it turns out to be too intense.

You have to remember that on a kytogenic diet your body converts some of the protein into glucose so your brain doesn’t starve. So you have to take in enough protein to meet your needs and some extra to convert to glucose.

True, I checked some sources and they all recommend a minimum of .6-.7 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass when in ketosis and I’ve got it at .69 now. I’ll certainly push it up a bit if/when I start trying to put on muscle but that seems sufficient.