Help with my 1st time with DIY soylent

Hey everyone! First time poster and looking for some C&C on my soylent recipe. Ever since i came across soylent recently on youtube, i began reading and watching a bunch of videos on this.

So i guess abit of background on myself:

So I’ve watched the videos, and used the calculator to create my own soylent recipe for weight loss. I just don’t have the time and money to afford a proper low card diet and I’m hoping to use soylent to achieve this. I plan to eat soylent for 1-2 meals a day, and still cook a proper dinner for myself.

So now the recipe i came up with so far:
http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/lockark-chow

I’m really nerves about trying this out, and don’t want to mess anything up.
I want to know i’m getting this right.

Welcome to DIY! :slight_smile:

I do see a couple of things for you to consider changing.

First, Masa. The PAN corn meal may not be to your liking, I have not tried it myself, but have seen a few folks mention it as gritty and hard to consume. You may consider going with a Masa Harina instead, [something like this](http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005S0DIA6/ref=aw_ls__2?colid=3931FBKE7I6IM&coliid=I39FCRRFHV6Y94], or this. I have tried both Blue and White corn varieties and prefer the White for flavor/texture as it seems smoother And had a less sweet corn taste. You can usually get it significantly cheaper locally.

Next, salt. You may consider increasing your salt a bit, it would bring up both your sodium and your chloride levels. You may also consider using iodized sea salt as it has some other trace nutrients. I use 3.8g in my recipe, which just gets me within the RDI for both. Salt is also usually cheaper locally.

Also, MSM. Sufficient protein should have enough Sulfur-containing Amino Acids to cover you, the consensus in the community is now to calculate the SAA and drop the MSM. See the discussion here.

Finally, you mention using this for weight loss. Your recipe shows nearly 2,000kcal, plus you said you would do dinner also. I just want to caution you that the calculator was pretty far off for me, when I made my first batch at about 2,300kcal I was still gaining, and I wasn’t stacking other food on top. Ultimately I dropped it to about 1,800kcal, with no other meals and that has helped, I am now losing.

I have been glad I started DIY’ing, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Seconded. But the link in the OP just links to the DIY list when I click on it, not his specific recipe. Did @lockark change the name?

Strange, it was working a few hours ago. I wonder if it was made private.

@lockark, a couple other notes…

You can increase the potassium with potassium citrate, plus it’s said to reduce the risk of kidney stones.

I’m not sure of a good source to top off your folate, but I’m sure someone can come in to help. You could increase the Mega Man, but that may throw off your other numbers.

There has also been a lot of debate over Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratios, with a lot of folks coming down on the side of trying to get a tighter ratio, something close to 1/1 to 5/1 of 6 to 3. Just something you may look into eventually, you may find a bit of a hobby in DIY. I have found out more about nutrition in the last two months than I did in probably the last two decades.

Here is a screen shot of the recipe…

@kennufs I was wondering if you would be willing to pick apart my recipe too?

Sure, glad to help. Start a thread asking for help, I’m sure others will give you input as well.

Just keep in mind I’m no expert :slight_smile: