Hi, noob asking a few DIY questions

Hi everyone

Is started my DIY adventure yesterday morning, current recipe here.

A few things I’ve noticed that I need some reassurance with

1. poop. That wonderful topic. Basically I am usually regular as clockwork every morning but only just passed some waste today and it wasn’t the usual amount. It feels like things are moving down there again now but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and how long it lasted for. Also, is a reduced amount to be expected?

2. manganese. Does the recipient fly too close to the max or am I worrying over nothing?

3. savoury flavourings. Any advice appreciated.

4. water consumption. This seems to have gone up a bit but I still feel a bit dehydrated

5. fast acting sugars. Would it be wise to include a little of these into the recipe to stave off some of the lows I have been experiencing. They are pretty minor but I didn’t want to deviate too much on my first few days.

Any other advice for a noob!

All the best

Iain

Not being on DIY, I can’t answer the others questions. But in my experience, fiber increases water needs. The flip side is sometimes I need a little extra salt and (in combination with water) tends to improve my hydration.

Don’t know if my tips will work for you, but I thought I’d share what worked for me. Good luck, and I hope everything goes well.

Interesting point. My salt intake has probably fallen through the floor given the amount of crap I was eating.

I guess I will just up the fluids a little and listen to what my body is telling me.

Not that I can’t hear that now…paaarp!

Yeah. The salt needs vary from person to person. Some people including rob are apparently fine with the nearly half the RDA for sodium. Others such as @vanclute can only barely handle 100% RDA. My needs have floated between 150% to 200%.

But yeah, I generally think listening to your body is a good thing. Though make sure its a need of your body, not a want. If possibly, try to distinguish between “flavor cravings” and deficiency cravings. I don’t really get much of the first, and my fiance doesn’t get the second. So use your best judgement.

1. Why so much protein? If you are actively exercising, the most you should need is .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. More protein can actually lead to weight gain if you are trying to lose weight. Excess protein strains the kidneys, and also leads to dehydration and constipation.

2. That is a large amount of manganese but not at the upper limit (11g). There are also questions about how the UL of manganese was established. Also you can’t really change it without using something other than oats, so meh.

3. I dunno. I use non-savory flavors.

4. Consume more water. You should be drinking enough so that your urine is pale (and you won’t get enough from just drinking your soylent).

5)Your recipe only meets half your target carbohydrate goal. It’s listed at a goal of 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat, while you are actually getting 21% carb, 47.7% protein, and 31.3% fat. That might explain why you’re experiencing some lows. Also, you’re running a low calorie recipe (I calculated 1729) which can cause a lack of energy.

1. 24g of Psyllium Husk means it’s going to take a looooooong time to work through your system. I’ve been doing Marion Fuel, which has 10g, and it takes 2 days to get through me, with my guts feeling quite full the whole time (which at least suppresses excess hunger, but is a little uncomfortable. Getting used to it, tho). That time’s decreasing slowly, but my own recipe that I’m going to start in a couple days doesn’t add any (the oats + masa in that have enough fiber to meet RDA anyway). I’ll find out how that works…

People’s digestions vary, so if you’re on the slow side (like me), you might not want that much soluble fiber (soluble slows it down, insoluble speeds it up).

1. Your recipe should be fine, manganese-wise. 7.9 isn’t that high, plenty of people are pushing the upper bounds. If your joints start aching, though, you’ll want to trade some of the oats for another carb source, like masa.

2. I’ve heard beef bouillon is pretty decent. Don’t overdo it, and adjust your salt accordingly, though.

3. Drink more water. You’ll need a lot.

4. I don’t think you want to add a significant amount of sugars to the mix itself, for both spoilage and dental reasons at least, and unless it was a lot, it’d get lost in the mix anyway. I eat yogurt here and there on the side (the fruit ones, so also sweet).

Raw Cacao, Cayenne Pepper, Saigon Cinnamon, those are the flavors i am working with because they also have health benefits i like.

I replaced sugar with stevia, we warned a tiny amount of that stuff is powerful.

Welcome to the DIY :stuck_out_tongue:

On Psyllium husk, it’s a bulk-forming laxative and shouldn’t be slowing you down. If it is, that suggests you need to be consuming more water. It absorbs a lot of water as it bulks. A LOT of water.

Manganese - i agree; don’t worry about this one if diet is your main source of manganese. On the other hand, if your water supply is already manganese-rich, or if you are exposed because of your work (welder?), you may need to be careful. My favorite resource on this sort of stuff: Manganese Toxicity

On adding quick carbs - when are you experiencing your lows? When relative to your liquid meals, but also when in the day? It looks like your mix is low on carbs, and also is not hitting 2000 Kcals - is this intentional? Personally, I’m a big guy, and 2000 Kcals is actually my Basal Metabolic Rate - in other words, I need more like 2750 per day when accounting for activity. If you need more than 2000 and you’re getting less than 2000, you can expect to feel the same tiredness/lows that you would feel if you were on a weight-loss diet - because you are.

I have no advice on flavorings, yet - I’m starting on the stuff tomorrow! But I like the idea of having savory flavory options. Chicken bouillon cubes, for me - but may mean dropping some salt from the recipe… hmm… are bouillon cubes already salty?

My comments on Psyllium match the best of my knowledge, but we’ll see how the new recipe treats me. I drink about 1.5L water/day plus some other beverages, and my mix is kind of dilute, so I think I’m getting plenty (since going on this, I’ve stopped feeling thirsty, which has been a problem for me for years, no matter how much water I drank).

Bouillon cubes are very salty. A 5g cube usually has ~1g sodium.

Unfortunately I feel like @axcho 's schmoylent is too naturally sweet to use savory flavors, but it would be interesting to try replacing the water and sodium in a recipe with some low-sodium/unsalted chicken broth/stock. Maybe a masa-based recipe would fare better.

Thanks Foulzor

Truth be told I found it tricky to balance the numbers, I’m also considering adding some Mesa but it’s tricky to get hold of in the uk. Will fine grain corn meal suffice or is it too grainy/otherwise unsuitable?

I’m running low calorie and carb because I want to shunt weight, I’m big but need to shed around 23 kilos (50 pounds).

Will rework it and post the new one

Cheers

Iain

Calculate your basal metabolic rate here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
•If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
•If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
•If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
•If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Plan on reducing calories by 500-1000. The amount depends on how many pounds you want to lose and over how much time. If you want to lose 50 pounds, that’s 50lb * 3500kcal/lb = 175,000kcals. So to safely lose 50lb just by diet, it’ll take you 25-50 weeks. Good tip: start at 500 Calorie deficit and increase it slowly so you get used to weight-loss diet. I’d still keep a 40-30-30 Carb/Protein/Fat ratio no matter your total Calories amount.

Edit: as for the difference between corn meal and masa, I’m not clear, but what I do know is that masa is rather gritty and not everyone likes the texture in their DIY.

Thanks again Foulzor,

I’ve reworked it a bit adding that corn meal in here, had to add olive oil to get some extra fats in without adding too much more omega 3.

Iain