High calorie and fat heavy recipe (>50% fat macro) - Sources other than oil?

I’m working on a 2500 calorie recipe based a 25c/20p/55f macro… but once I get all the essentials that put me around 2000 calories, I’ve pretty much just had to jack the oils way up to hit 2500 and I have a feeling it’s not going to work out too well.

Right now it’s a 200ml mix of Olive and Coconut oil. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m assuming that won’t be too pleasant.

Any suggestions on alternative fat heavy sources other than just oils? All I can think of is adding peanut butter and whole milk… I’m debating scaling it back down to 2k and just getting my remaining 500 calories from other food sources…

(If anyone is curious on the macro reasoning, these two articles convinced me: http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/ and http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/high-carb-bodybuilding-dogma-interview/)

/edit

I wasn’t going to post it as it’s not done or meant for public view, but if it will help… http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/nod-2-25c20p55f-2500c (omega 3 high, fiber still low and don’t have all of the micros worked out yet)

/edit 2

I see I apparently have fat at 60% atm… Bringing that down would help a bit.

Maybe I don’t understand the problem, but if your 25c/20p/55f recipe has 2000 calories, can’t you just bump all of the macro ingredients up by 25% to get to 2500 calories?

Or, what about just drinking 25% more of it every day, basically the same effect.

What am I missing?

I’ve been using heavy whipping cream in my recipe, a single cup adds 414 kcal, and it enhances the flavor adding a creaminess.

Lol, well yes that’s true. But even at 2000 it’s still 150ml oil, give or take, which is higher than all the recipes I’ve seen. Mainly just trying to see what alternatives to oil people have come up with for fats.

But you aren’t wrong! I have a tendency to overthink things haha.

Heavy cream sounds like a solid option. Flavor was another concern I was having as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

/edit

The other issue was bumping up my other macros throws off my micros and gives me more protein than I’ll have any benefit from. I’d prefer calorie dense fats, preferably with good added flavor :wink:

If you add an emulsifier like xanthan gum or lecithin, the oil mixes better. +1 on the heavy gream. I’m doing @kennufs 's keto recipe right now and it’s super awesome with the cream.

You could toss in a few eggs. Good fat content, as well as some additional protein. May not work with your desired macro’s, but egg protein is very bioavailable, and carries quite a bit of healthy fat. Just a thought.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the recipe. :blush:

You can try flaxseed. 100% Food and recently Joylent both use flaxseed instead of oil - though you probably need to take care of the omegas then.

Or butter/ghee (the actual ghee from cow milk not the ghee made from vegetable oil that is loaded with trans fat). The cow milk ghee has a very good ratio of omega 6 and omega 3.

Don’t worry. My recipe (DeltaFeed 1.0) has 150 ml of olive oil and 15 ml of flaxseed oil.

Cream! Why didn’t I think of that!?

I wanted more calories also and so I use 2 to 3 cups of whole raw milk in place of water when making my Soylent. It adds 150 calories per cup and gives it a nice creamy texture. Of course you have to live somewhere that has raw milk available in order to do that. I wouldn’t recommend using pasteurized or homogenized milk. Maybe coconut milk. It tastes good too and has a lot of fat and calories.

Er, isn’t raw milk supposed to be incredibly dangerous for you?

Probably not incredibly dangerous in 2014. But, risky in comparison. Selling raw milk for human consumption is illegal in most places in the United States, so you’ll often find local farm co-ops and farmers markets offering raw milk ‘for pet use only’ to circumvent this. The reason for the ban is one of public health safety (or big-food lobbying, depending on who you ask) but the individual risk is not extreme.

Pasteurization has fallen under the umbrella of other modern industrial food practices which are - correctly or otherwise - identified by a certain segment of the population as bad, evil, or toxic, or at the very least disingenuous. I will not air my own views here, but my restraint may say it all :slight_smile:

Chia or flax seed?
+1 for Heavy cream.
If you drink it cold, I wouldn’t suggest butter/ghee/coconut oil…
Coconut Milk.

Definitely chia over flax.

Not if it is handled properly in a safe environment, with pro-grade dairy equipment. The only reason raw milk is viewed as unsafe is because of the rush of urbanization in the early 1900’s. The farmers then had to choose between 1) housing their dairy cows in the city, leading to unsanitary conditions and a lack of hygienic dairy harvesting, (as well as leading to the CAFE feed lot situation,) and 2) moving out to farms where they could not guarantee morning deliveries into the city. Most chose the former.

When the cows began producing lower quality milk, paired with contamination through unsanitary harvest, people began to get sick and die. a Dr. Pasteur came up with the idea to zap the milk with high heat to kill the contaminants (and all beneficial aspects as well.) Others of the time recommended sanitary dairy practices, but were drowned out by the Pasteur crowd, resulting in the modern result: a monolithic dairy industry. These days, raw milk is often processed in a more sanitary situation than pasteurized milk, and the animals raised, treated, and fed better. That alone leads to cleaner, healthier milk. Plus, small farm, raw milk dairy cows don’t get fed jelly beans.

Article with studies linked.

Also, anecdotally, I tried raw milk for the first time this June in New Hampshire. It was the cleanest, richest, tastiest milk I have EVER tasted.

I live in California and our raw milk is subjected to daily laboratory tests to satisfy the state’s health department (and increase the price by a Lot of $$).
And I’ve been drinking it for over 15 years now. Also the calcium in raw milk is much better absorbed by our bodies. Lots of studies out there if you’re interested.

Ditto on the milk thing. I live in Iowa, and its pretty common around here that if you have cows on your land, you drink that milk fresh every morning while still warm. No pasteurization needed!

Would you care to elaborate on this please? Why chia over flax? I thought flax is easier to use in low-carb recipes as it contains more fat, less fiber and less carbs (though we haven’t tried it yet).