Higher Calorie Soylent Meals

Continuing the discussion from The "Flavoring Soylent" thread:

My doctors have me on a high calorie diet (recommended minimum 3,000 kcals daily) so I have been working on 1,000 kcal shakes that are filling yet still a small enough quantity to be consumed in one sitting. So far what I have come up with is the following:

2 scoops Soylent powder
2 cups Silk chocolate soymilk
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 large egg
1 tsp cocoa powder

I put all that in our NutriBullet and blend until smooth. It basically tastes like a peanut butter cup and has approximately 1, 020 kcals.

Does anyone else have any ideas so I don’t get sick of this one flavor?

Add some kind of starch to Soylent to boost the Calories to the desired level. Starches have two advantages:

1. They are basically tasteless.
  2. They have virtually no micronutrients.

Unmodified potato starch is excellent. It is rich in resistant starch (RS2) which acts as both viscous and nonviscous fiber. Corn starch and tapioca starch are also good.

I want to add flavor though. Straight Soylent tastes to me like I’m just drinking bread.

That’s really interesting. If you’re at all interested in sharing (and no worries if you’re not), might I ask why?

I have cystic fibrosis, one of the symptoms of which is malabsorption of nutrients, especially fats. I take pills to compensate for the malabsorption, but they still want to me to put on weight. If I try to eat larger meals I experience discomfort so I focus on nutrient dense foods instead.

High calorie shakes seem to be working well for me, so I’m looking for more ideas.

Are you taking nutritional supplements in addition to the shakes? I ask only because I wondered why you’d chosen to base your shake consumption on only 1,500 calories worth of Soylent rather than the full 2,000-calorie daily amount contained in a bag.

Yeah, I take supplements. I also eat at least one meal a day that isn’t Soylent. A 1,000 calorie Soylent only shake is too bulky for a single meal, hence my additions. I need to pack as much as I can into a meal that still fits in my stomach.

So if I were you, I’d be looking to create a calorie-heavy shake with minimal flavor profile (like plain Soylent) which you can then flavor with Torani syrups, Milk Magic, or the like. As a start, you could cut the cocoa and peanut butter from your recipe, replace the chocolate soymilk with 4% whole milk, and add a second egg. This would get you up to roughly 980 calories per shake. And if that’s not enough, you could boost the calories further by adding some starches, per @nutrisludge’s suggestion, or a tablespoon of something like Udo’s Choice 3-6-9 oil blend. You can then add a squirt of Milk Magic coffee infusion for a coffee shake, an ounce of Torani sugar-free salted caramel syrup for a butterscotch shake, etc.

I can experiment with the suggestions you’ve both given me. Adding a second egg and some starches and/or oils might work.

Cow’s milk is a problem though. I experimented with that first, but I don’t tolerate it well. The beta A1 casein increases inflammation in my lungs, making it harder to breathe (which is already a big problem for people with CF).

That’s unfortunate - you do get fewer calories from plain or vanilla soymilk, relative to both cow’s milk and the chocolate soy you’re currently using.

Can you have almond milk? It tends to be higher calorie than soy milk. Otherwise, adding starches can easily compensate for missing calories. Starches will affect the texture, though.

A squirt of Mio “water enhancer” will give you a variety of flavors.

Every almond milk I looked at had around 30 cals per serving, as opposed to the 120 of the soymilk I use.