Highly Inexpensive Source of KCI (Potassium Chloride) - Canada

Hey all (but especially Canadians),

Today during my research I came across a product from Sifto, “Salt Substitute”. Here’s a few pictures:

Front Face: http://bit.ly/19fn2HC
Quantity: http://bit.ly/16j3UtD
Nutrition: http://bit.ly/18sJJXu
Price: http://bit.ly/16YvFXO

As per the nutrition label and the price, as long as my math is correct, this is the single most inexpensive source of Potassium I have found to date. With its price listed, this comes out to about $0.12 / Day, as my math shows here:

Potassium Needed / Day: 3500mg (Rob’s Recommended)
Amt. in 1 Serving (1.5g): 775mg
Servings Needed: 4.51 (3500 / 775)
Total Serving for 3500mg: 6.765g (1.5g x 4.51)
Number of Uses: 44.34 (300g / 6.765g)
Cost Per Use: $0.12 (0.117 Rounded up) ($5.19 / 44.34)

Obviously for other Canadians - if you happen to find this elsewhere - it may not be the same price. I located this in a Metro Grocery in North York, ON, and I’d like to note that it was not on sale.

With my current build, I get 47.97% of my Potassium from my whey isolate - meaning I can cut this amount in half, resulting in a CPD of $0.06 and extending the use of this product to 90 days. Sweet deal!

Any comments on this? If my math is even slightly wrong, please let me know! :slight_smile:

Fine business on your potassium source, GodRaine, well done. Now: what do we do about Canada and Soylent? We’re in the lineup somewhere behind the UK so if we just wait for Soylent Inc. to get its act together to ship to Canada it could easily be the better part of a year before we get any.

I’m very tight on funds at the moment and not well placed to order a stack of basic ingredients (I’m in rural Manitoba), so to while away the time and gain some experience I’m playing with my own pseudo-Soylent made up from food ingredients, mainly dehydrated items I already have on hand. It’s good practice and I’m learning stuff. Maybe I’ll come up with something that suits me so well I won’t really need to order Soylent, or maybe not.

What about you? And do you have any idea of how many other Canadians we have here on the discourse?

I haven’t seen a whole lot - maybe 5 - 6 at maximum; I know of @MattMckenzy and @JonathanMcClare, @davidthemaster2 and @SaladFingers.

In terms of getting basic ingredients out there, if one does not have access to a nutrition store, some box stores will have a pharmacy that can contain at least 75% of the basic vitamins / minerals that Soylent commands. Check into that if the resources are available, otherwise, I’m not sure what you would do. :slight_smile:

I gather you are well on the way to producing Soylent for your personal use, so perhaps you are in a position to say what it costs in this country to lay in the ingredients just to get started with it? I haven’t yet looked into that. I’m about 200 km. from Brandon; there’s Shoppers Drug Mart there, SuperStore, WalMart etc. etc. plus a couple of health food stores and bodybuilder shops, I imagine the ingredients can be found in Brandon, probably not at the most economical price. I’m too far from Winnipeg and don’t like the place so I never go there.And there’s always eBay.

I tell you what, though, I see an awful lot of pointless duplication of effort going on among people on this forum, it seems a shame. Also a shame that Rob Rhinehart seems too busy to check in and guide things. He’s said the magic words, “open source” but given the way the funding has poured in it wouldn’t much surprise me if he were to reconsider that. The silence makes me a little uneasy.

I’m also from Canada, currently in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Here’s a link to my version: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/my-canadian-soylent-formulation/392

My cost for my micros for 3 months is around $100, total cost for everything for 3 months is around the $600 mark, though I haven’t sat down to figure it out exactly. You’d probably be better off getting everything online, it would be significantly more expensive to get the ingredients from retail outlets.

I’ll be posting my Soylent formula soon - I’m keeping it a little close to the chest right now because I want it to be striking perfect before I talk about it to anyone off-forum (my best friend, fiancee, and family don’t even know that I’m conducting this research yet, hah!). I built a “Completion Index”, which gathers the percentages of all ingredients that I’ve obtained so far and divides by 3400% (which would be the total, as there are 34) and I’m currently sitting at 96%. Despite this, I’m missing a few key things that could definitely throw off my cost per day, and want to have the Completion Index at 100% - and have some time to tweak what I do have - before giving out my formula.

Rest assured it will come though :slight_smile: I understand that being in Canada, having the info out there soon will definitely serve a lot of Canadians interested in the project.

@GodRaine Are you following Rob in his (presumably) current use of oat powder for carbs and fibre? Personally I’m somewhat concerned about that, mainly because I have not been able to sort out the truth of the phytic acid issue to my own satisfaction. Now, I LOVE oats and eat them a lot; but I’ve quit eating them raw, and I presume the oat powder in Rob’s formula is neither soaked nor fermented nor cooked. In my own experiments here I wound up cooking the oat powder along with powdered buckwheat as a thin gruel when then goes into the blender with other stuff. That won’t fly for mass production. I wish I could dispose of this issue but I haven’t been able to do so. All the online sources are low-credibility, unreferenced, people like Weston A. Price Foundation and the McDougall/Novick starch-centred bunch either expressing great concern or else just blowing the issue off, in either case without a shred of proof. What’s obvious is that raw oats have a big load of phytic acid and very little phytase. Buckwheat and rye have loads of phytase and could be helpful, but I’ve seen no experimental data that would clearly point to a solution.

The one thing you might want to consider for this is that there’s also a lot of chloride in it. That KCl is 52.445% potassium and 47.555% chloride. The upper limit for Chloride for adults is 3600 mg, and, if my calculations are correct, your 4.51 servings contains 3173.66mg of Chloride (along with 91.34mg of Sodium Ferrocyanide decahydrate, which, if my calculations are also correct, would include a 10.5mg of iron).

Also, the DRI for Potassium is 4700mg. If 3500mg is what Rob recommended, I’d be curious to know why.

Here’s the DRI for both potassium and chloride: http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/442A08B899F44DF9AAD083D86164C75B.ashx

I ran into the same issue with oat powder. I also couldn’t find a very reputable source of information, but it seems like there is an agreement that it contains a lot of phytic acid and you need an extra source of phytase to kill that off when you soak it. There are better sources of carbs without these issues, so I just dropped the whole oat powder idea.

I haven’t found a source for it yet, but someone mentioned palatinose as a good source of long-chain carbohydrates. Currently, I’m lowering my maltodextrin intake by using more fat. Out of my ~2700 calories per day, I get about 550 from maltodextrin and about 1350 from fat.

Jonathan,

I’m sorry - being new to this, this might sound like a stupid question. I have a moderate sized hole in my calorie requirement after sourcing all of my ingredients so far, and that’s after including just enough olive oil to give me 65g of fat.

I was considering simply increasing the amount of olive oil to compensate for the remaining calories, but it would increase my fat intake from 65g to 116g. For your reference, this is the oil I’m using: http://bit.ly/12bkomf

If you have any input into this as, it would be much appreciated. Should the amount of fat be worrying at all or should it be fine?

Hi GodRain!

Is there any reason you are not considering Maltodextrin (or generally carbs)?

If there isn’t - just add some Maltodextrin. I have 400g in my Daily Soylent, giving me 1500Kcal

Getting most of your calories from fat is fine. Getting nearly all of them from fat (a ketogenic diet) is what takes some adjustment and may not work for everyone.

Olive oil contains mostly monounsaturated fat, which is one of the good ones. Nutritionally, the downside to olive oil is the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acids. Ideally, you want this to be 1:1. With olive oil, you have to take a lot of fish oil to balance that out. If you’re adding even more olive oil, you’ll need even more fish oil to get close to a 1:1 ratio.

The other reason I don’t even use olive oil in my formula is the flavour. It’s great for salads and all of it’s common uses, but in these milky drinks we’re putting together it doesn’t really fit.

If you need to use more fat, I recommend coconut oil and clarified butter. Both of them are almost entirely saturated fat. Coconut oil has very little flavour. Clarified butter adds a slight buttery flavour, but it gives me some much needed cholesterol.

I will warn you though it may take you some time to get used to the ratio of fat to carbs that I use. It definitely has more of a whole milk texture. At the very least, you may need to water it down more than I do; I use about 3 cups of water per day in my mix.

Having said all that, there are many people here already consuming around 400g of maltodextrin daily without any major issues. It does have a higher glycemic index than carbs like palatinose, but I can’t see a strong reason to minimize it, at least to start. You may need to split it up into more than two drinks a day, but that’s not a big deal.

That was a requirement for some of us (me) anyways. Empty stomach = pain, so something needs to go in there every few hours. :slight_smile:

This is the stuff I ordered from my local Kardish store here in Ottawa…
Now Foods Potassium Chloride 8oz

Amazon also has it but is frequently a P.I.T.A. about shipping a lot of different things to Canada, this is one of them. US residents, no problem. Usually, I’d default to ebay but their shipping charges on this particular product are ridiculous.

The online prices for this product seem to range from $4-$8, before shipping, I was quoted an $8 price tag when I ordered in the store since they don’t charge shipping.

Excellent source, thank you @Shandra!