Holiday Gift Giving of Soylent 2.0 Didn't Go As Expected - Blame "SOY"

So I had an extra 12 pack of 2.0 during the holiday season (Christmas) and I thought I would surprise my bachelor brother by putting it in his fridge with a red bow and a copy of the “What is Soylent” CD for him to watch.

Unfortunately my sister told me that he swung by the next day and gave it to her because “it’s made of soy and I’m not interested”.

I asked her why would having Soy protein isolate matter, to which she stated “he doesn’t want Soy in his food”.

So my Christmas gift backfired. However my sister thanked me for finding it since she has Multiple Sclerosis and Soylent 2.0 gives her more energy in the afternoon then any other diet her Dr has put her on.

My only thought about this whole thing is trying to decide if my brother is a moron or if there are actually people who won’t eat something simply because it uses soy.

Anyone else give the Christmas gift of Soylent? If so, how did it go?

Unfounded or not, there is definitely this perception out there among a sizable amount of people that soy should not be consumed. I know people that won’t consume soy milk for the same reason, which is probably why products like almond milk and the like have proliferated.

As far as holiday gift giving, I hadn’t even thought about giving Soylent as a gift, but I think that it would make a great one! Sorry you had such a negative experience!

Your sister sounds a lot cooler than your brother. :smile:

Adding to what HealthyBlogger said, it’s the phytoestrogen in Soy products that some people are afraid of. It’s come up here often enough.

Some people believe that eating phytoestrogens will cause a lovely set of breasts and the tendency to cry at Pixar movies.

Your bachelor brother probably thinks you’re a girly man.

I can’t help but cry at the beginning of UP, it’s just so heart breaking :cry:

Or the end of Toy Story 3

It is my understanding that abdominal fat is a source of estrogen. If using Soylent 2.0 helps you lose that stubborn gut, the Soy (if it is in a form that contributes to phytoestrogen) will not be enough to counteract the benefits.

Nothing like needing commentary on Pixar movies to bring Lee C out of retirment, welcome back @leecauble1.

Smart people can believe in stupid things too… I think that is important to remember in all fields of life.

Soylent causes man tears confirmed! :joy:

I will add one significant final note: Males produce estrogen and progesterone, and the people who are worried about estrogen-like compounds in Soy should then also be worried about the fact that their body also is already producing real estrogen… just less than a woman.

"In males, estrogen regulates certain functions of the reproductive system important to the maturation of sperm[17][18][19] and may be necessary for a healthy libido.[20] Furthermore, there are several other structural changes induced by estrogen in addition to other functions."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrogen#Function

I’m alway here. Sometimes tis better to just listen :sunglasses:

As one of three sons I can attest that it is also important to remember that all brothers are morons.

I’m with you on that one! I call my brother a moron to his face all the time and if he ever called me a girly man he knows I’d kick his arse. That’s one of the benefits of having a little brother.

Some people believe soy is poison, even though there is no scientific proof to back it up.

I have never heard of a soy related death yet :wink:

Could have been worse. Could have been gluten.

[quote=“HealthyBlogger, post:2, topic:24666”]
I know people that won’t consume soy milk for the same reason, which is probably why products like almond milk and the like have proliferated.
[/quote]Although that may be true of some people, Speaking for myself, I drink loads of Almond milk, not because of any F.U.D. about soy being bad for you, but simply (in my opinion) almond milk tastes far better than soy milk (although in it’s defence, soy milk didn’t taste nearly as bad as I expected it to when I first tried it LOL), I do use loads of soy sauce on/in food though.

I have heard that homemade almond milk is much better tasting than store-bought. (and apparently very easy to make) I have been meaning to try making it for awhile, but haven’t had a chance to yet.

Well I know if someone asks me if I would like a soy burger, I will quickly say “NO!”.
Burgers made of soy are not to pass these lips.
I can see what you all are saying here. I personally think the attention to soy in the video is what killed it for my brother. He eats soy stuff all the time - he’s just not too bright and doesn’t realize he’s eating it.
So I do believe there’s a stigmata with Soy.
Hopefully, as others have mentioned, Soy can maybe someday be replaced with algal protein.

Classic Alex’s brother.

This is very, very true. I have positive confirmation.

I think you mean stigma. Unless you mean that Soy makes weeping wounds on your hands and feet.

I don’t actually find much to support this; the effect on testosterone is weaker than most people seem to think. There’s an oft-cited study (2007, Goodin et al) that found a decrease in testosterone in four weeks for a group of men fed daily soy, but it turns out that one of the men in the study had a massive decrease. Without him in the mix, it appears that Soy has an effect, but it’s nowhere near as big as some people fear. It’s easy to pick out the “odd man” in the data:

It’s possible that this was because of the soy, but it’s more likely that there were other factors at play - especially since he continued to decrease between day 28 (end of treatment) and day 42 (so that was two weeks without taking the soy.)

Also, since the study was not blinded and placebo-controlled, it’s hard to tell how much of the change in testosterone was becuase of what the men thought would happen. It’s interesting that two of the men had a solid rise in testosterone between day 14 and 28 - were they people who believed that extra protein makes them stronger, regardless? And other men who dropped during the 28 days rebounded after getting off the protein, from day 28 to day 42… but some of them rebounded to higher than their baseline. Perhaps these men were very convinced that soy would decrease their T, and were so stoked to get off the stuff, that their T rose even higher than when they started? (For reference, there’s support for the idea that hormone levels are sensitive to mood and mental status, as well as the way around, so it’s more likely to be a factor here than on average.)

As far as estrogen-mimicking effects - there are differences between a pseudo-estrogen binding to a receptor and real estrogen binding to a receptor. There’s a lot of study in the area (and it’s an important area to sort out, for diet understanding), and soy isoflavones may well turn out to have benefits and harms due to activating receptors, or due to blocking receptors that might otherwise be activated by real estrogen, or even from different mechanisms independent of estrogen-like activity.

I’m happy the science is going on actively in this area.