How about a Soylent handbook in the near future?

Just an idea I had while thinking about how to deal with the inevitable discussions I will have with people about living from Soylent. Maybe it could be useful if @rob and co could create some sort of handbook in the future? Like an A-Z for the Soylent warrior? I personally don’t have any experience with nutrition yet I try to incorporate now as much knowledge as I can from the forum and the various blogs. It is all quite scattered and time-consuming though. Maybe at some point it d be helpful to have the basic information collected and structured in one book to give people like me a set of arguments and facts for the battlefield. Yes, it’s gonna be interesting in the next months!

Yeah I agree.

I think it would be great if there was a website and you’ll have options to pick what type of soylent you prefer such as Oat based, Soy whey etc. Then your Age, body, type, goals, and everything would be calculated for you. And you can either buy it at the website or source your own.

Please. :slight_smile: I would love to have good guidebook. In fact, I would buy it if it was reasonable, ie: $10 or so, and it is detailed on what is needed and what is this element details so on.

A great idea. Maybe an easily accessible guide that you can get to online, which has all the info you need and a section that would suggest alteration sin the mix for certain situations that may arise, such as

**Q: I feel a little lethargic A: Add (amount) of , or reduce by 50% ***

*totally hypothetical example.

That’s an excellent idea.

On the website you could have a profile and on it all your details concerning your soylent mix. Such as 250g carbs…14mg Iron etc and then cross reference this with others to see an optimal recipe for your body type and goals.

As you say…you could tick a box that says “I feel unfocused today”…it looks at your profile and says you could add this or remove that for a while.

God…i would love to know how to build something like this…I think it would be extremely popular.

Although @tabula raised some great ideas, I personally intended to point out to something different with this topic. Not so much about creating a simple-to-use template for establishing your perfect mix or adjusting it, but a sort of manifesto with overviews of the facts concerning nutrition and arguments you have on your side when in a discussion. More like Rob’s blog “In Defense of New Food” which I found very helpful. A chapter on environmental impact, a chapter on health etc.

When I was a Vegan I used this little grassroots handbook which helped me a lot. It had an argument for every issue raised, like “But people have been eating meat for thousands of years!” Reply:“People have been using slaves for thousands of years, does it mean they are right?”

I would appreciate a book that plays through these scenarios and gives you facts and evidence to back your arguments in heated discussions to come. I want to be able to argument with logic and facts, and not possibly become driven by emotional defense mechanisms because I don’t know any better. I’m sure that would be very much in Rob’s line of establishing a product based on science and reason.

@Philip_H - It almost sounds like you want a Soylent Bible.

Rather than simply having a (possibly nonsense) “counter” statement for arguments such as “But people need to eat solid food!”, I’m hoping we can strive to have information which provides an actual understanding of how the human digestive system works, etc. For example: Do people actually do need to eat solid food? If so, how much and how often?

Based on your last paragraph, I am hoping that what I just described is what you meant in the first place. In any case, please do not view this as a negative response. Your example counter argument (eating meat vs. using slaves) is just one of those nonsensical “counter-arguments” that do nothing but avoid the actual topic. Those annoy me. :slight_smile:

(continuing with your example) If someone wants to be a Vegan, that’s perfectly fine with me. If I ask them how they get their proper nutrition without eating meat (or any animal products) because I am genuinely curious and they respond with something unrelated like the counter you listed, I am going to assume that they do not understand their own dietary choices and are likely not getting the proper nutrition from said diet. The idealist in me would like to think that, eventually, the pro-Soylent crowd will all be educated enough to properly understand and explain how and why it works, and why they are consuming it instead of conventional food.

If nothing else, I think we are all learning quite a lot about nutrition/biology/digestion/etc. Especially those that are already trying out their own recipes. In the end, that can’t be a bad thing.

I agree. As the old saying goes, “you catch more flies with sugar than with salt.” - I don’t think a ‘bible’ of Soylent that counter-argues any naysayers’ questions will help, and it certainly won’t win you any friends.

Simple facts about the product will do the job. And also honesty - if Soylent cannot compete with traditional food in some way, just admit it and get over it. Honesty is the best policy.

I’m not sure if a book will help. Also I am unsure if facts will help either.
While I am by no means an expert, so far no matter what argument I have given or facts I have posed I have not been able to convince anyone of Soylents merits.
Thus far everyone has been closed minded and refused anything that goes against what they already think.

But that just has been my experience thus far.

Easiest way, if not cheapest…“Here, try it. Put this in a exty amount of water and shake it up really good and drink it at lunch.”

Yeah, those annoy me too, but I hate evangelists of any sort… “How do I do (X) in Windows?” “Buy a mac.”

@tabula , @Rolf and / or @Terry_Cooper, one or all of you may want to post that as a separate post. I like the idea a lot…

Maybe we should start a soylent wiki. With a wiki, it would be collaborative and always up-to-date. For example, I’ve posted in a few threads on protein sources. It would be nice if we could put all the information on protein sources in one place, and then people could more easily determine what evidence is credible (does soy protein drop T levels?) and what their nutritional needs are (how many g of leucine does that person need per day).

Internet rule 666: If it exists, there is a wiki for it.
Behold: http://soylent.wikia.com/wiki/Soylent_Wiki
but that only has 12 pages.

http://discourse.soylent.me/t/the-soylent-wiki-contributor-sign-up/377 looks like it died.