How can I thicken up Soylent?

When I mix the recipe with 16oz of water it basically turns into flavored water. Is there an additive to make it thicker like the official Soylent?

I’m using: http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/davids-pbfree-1500-calorie-soylent

How about using less water?

Just drink the water separately. That shouldn’t cause any problems.

Heating your oat flour in some water prior to mixing will help thicken it up. Alternatively something like Xanthan gum would do it, and doesn’t require heating.

Agree with @richardtkemp - I use Xanthan gum as a thickener and it works just fine, I use about 2g in my daily mix.

Add fiber, especially psyllium husks powder. It will thicken in about 5 minutes as the fiber absorbs the water. This is the easiest way to do it as you can find psyllium husks powder at any health store.

Mixing with less water doesn’t really help and adding fiber doesn’t have the desirable effect. I just bought some Xanthan gum at my local market and will give it a try in the morning.

lol I guess I kind of expected that, it usually gives it an odd texture.

Don’t use too much… my advice would be to make your soylent as normal, then add no more than a teaspoon of Xanthan gum, shake, and see how you like it. Add more as necessary. I say this because I also used Xanthan gum for the first time today and I used WAY too much (17g in 3l)

Wish I would of read this before I drank my morning serving. 1 teaspoon is too much for half a liter, its an interesting consistency especially as it continues to solidify in your stomach… o_O

I’m curious now… what kind of thickening up are we talking about? The texture you’re trying to achieve, Is it comparable to anything I know?

As I suggested above, I use 2g for about 3 litres of mix, per day.

If you go to Soylent main page you can see how their version is thick, almost paste like. That is what I’m trying to achieve.
Xanthan gum makes it like a thick milkshake.

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body

Don’t.

It takes longer to digest if thick. One of the reasons soylent is cool is the fact that it doesn’t clog your stomach for the next 1-2 hours like normal food-big meals.