How do i know that Soylent is actually working

I have been a Soylent user at 89% calories for 59 days on 1.0, lowered to 50% calories to date. I use Soylent every day. On the rare occasions that I do not use it though, I notice that Soylent still gives gas issues (which don’t smell nearly as bad anymore, but are still annoying and worrisome).

I would like to know how the community quantifies itself. I want to know if Soylent actually works. The fact that I’m still alive after ten months is pretty cool, but how do I know whether I will have cancer or not in the next ten years? I understand this is an open problem, but it would be nice to calm the skeptic in any way possible.

I have the following measuring equipment:

• Taylor Smart Scale with Body fat measurement
  • Blood pressure cuff
  • Smartphone pedometer
  • Blood panel from nine months ago

What else is feasible and worth measuring? Shall I start doing quantified-mind tests like Rob did? Ideally I would like to have a blood panel done every day, but it gets really expensive.

You don’t. RL never claimed Soylent prevented cancer. As a cancer survivor myself I can say that even if you are unlucky enough to get cancer your doctors, with very few exceptions, won’t be able to tell you how long you had it or what caused it.

RL has never made any claims about Soylent other than you can live off of it. So ,as you say, the fact you are alive is all the proof you need. Beyond that defining if and how Soylent is working is up to you.

How you feel is probably the best indicator that it’s working.

The blood panel is a great objective way to measure the effects of your diet. Daily tests really aren’t necessary. Once or twice a year should be fine. If all your markers are in range, then you can be pretty sure that your Soylent diet is at least as good as a “regular” diet.

As was said before you don’t, but how would you have known you would or wouldn’t get cancer in the next ten years before you had Soylent? Perhaps you would have had cancer, but have now delayed or prevented it from these changes, or perhaps you’ll exacerbate the cancer you’re already going to have and die sooner.

You can’t expect to perceive the future any more readily now than you could before soylent… although… maybe complete nutrition is what makes precogs possible… somebody want to check in with Tom on this?

I knew you were going to say that

I love this thread. I have wondered about this question over and over again. Is it working? Is it healthy? I wish there were a detailed third party scientific analysis of every version of Soylent. An analysis so anal that it could detect, for instance, the tiniest amount of pesticide that might have been used when growing oats.

For all I know, a pesticide could cure cancer.

So true. I went off of 1.4 for a long time, and returned to normal gas levels. It was kind of relief. I made my first pitcher in a long time yesterday, and had a glass in the afternoon. By evening time I had a few stinkers. I drank another glass late at night and I’ve had a few stinkers today too.

Isn’t this life in general? Even today, we can’t know ALL the effects of a simple vitamin on the human body since new studies are generated constantly; there are so many aspects of the human body with which to find correlating factors. When you add in the reactions between many substances, things become even more complicated.
Add in the fact that there are traces of other things like metals, and answering the question on the ultimate effect of a prolonged Soylent diet across many years becomes almost impossible. After a decade, we might be able to find something that happens with a Soylent diet, but it will likely tell us a few words out of a novel.

EDIT:

Forgot to say this, but everything is bad for you because of radiation. :wink:

I think this is a really strange question to ask, “Is Soylent working?” The reference to cancer, and bringing up your pedometer when talking about measuring Soylent’s affects all kind of point you misunderstanding of the basics of human health.

This is a nice article laying out the basic concept of human health; http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/150999.php

It’s just an inexpensive source of nutrition (food). Eating properly is just one part of your physical health, along with exercise, hygiene, avoiding disease, etc.