How I made Soylent work for me (mocha!)

I am now on day 4 of my Soylent 1.0 experience, and already feeling better. Depression and lethargy are issues for me, but I can feel the weight beginning to lift. The problem I had is that in base form it just isn’t palatable enough for me to want to choke it down, I have to discipline myself to consume. On my first day, I only consumed half a batch and ate nothing, which is way below my nutrition target (I’m 6’1" 260 lbs).

So I reasoned that since I was already eating crap and getting crap nutrition, I might as well spruce up the Soylent since I’d still be better off than with my normal habits. This was my first attempt at it, but it turned out really good and I happily plugged down the whole batch in the span of a day.

Here’s my method for making Mocha Soylent 1.0:

1. Grind up some fresh coffee beans, enough to make a full pot and put into 2-quart container, fill with cold water and shake vigorously, place into refridgerator overnight. This should be done the day before final prep, good cold brewed coffee takes 12+ hours to brew. Preparing your next day’s coffee should be part of your current-day Soylent prep.
  2. Empty 1 bag of Soylent into blender, add 1 cup powdered Nestle Quick (or Nesquick/whatever) chocolate milk mix.
  3. Filter coffee mixture with a french press and add 2 oz of heavy cream, then pour into blender slowly. You only want to put enough to get the blending started, it should be very thick in consistency. Blend on high for 1 minute.
  4. Pour into large, air-tight storage container along with the rest of the coffee mixture (you can use it to rinse the rest of the “batter” out of the blender), close and shake well. Place into refridgerator overnight - DO NOT ADD THE OIL!!! My limited experience has shown that the powder mix tends to homogenize better without it. Instead, add the oil right before consuming (I keep the vial in the fridge with the mix).

Note: when it comes to cleanup, do not rinse coffee grounds down the drain. They do not dissolve in water and basically turn into sand which can clog plumbing mains and septic systems. Very costly. The easiest way to clean your coffee tools is to dunk them in a bucket of water to remove the grounds before rinsing in the sink, then dump the water outside in the grass. A small amount of bleach in the water bucket will prevent mold spores so you only have to dump it every few days.

The end result is a fairly tasty mocha that you can drink straight or blend with ice into a frappe. The grittiness of Soylent is still there somewhat, but it is no grittier than the chocolate milk mix itself. The nice thing is that cold brewed coffee is rich in caffeine, so a 16 oz breakfast will give you a nice boost of energy to start the day. Also, the caffeine works as a natural signal to let you know it is time to drink up as you start to wear down.

If you try this and find a way to improve, please let me know!

I would probably suggest to use dark cocoa powder instead of nesquik. It removes the sugar addition from nesquik and reduces the sweetness, which I personally dislike with nesquik. + you need a lot less cocoa.

I ended up using 4 tablespoons of dark cocoa powder and a teaspoon or so of cinnamon in my mix to make it palatable to me. I ran into the same issue and just couldn’t choke it down anymore due to the overpowering sweet taste. This was too much cocoa for my roommate, but its just right for me. I really wish they would reduce the amount of sweetener added and maybe use something else besides vanillan or whatever fake vanilla it is they use.

I will probably try the dark cocoa powder, but I am still quite happy with the Nesquik, perhaps due to nostalgia. Nesquik on its own has a silty texture in milk, so it marries nicely with a well prepared Soylent mixture. The cold brew coffee is really what makes it though. I am going to try some columbian next, dark french roast is bitter even in cold brew.