How is Soylent different from a meal supplement?

This has been on my mind since I first started reading about Soylent. What are the major differences between the product you hope to produce and what is already available on the market? Meal replacement shakes are huge business and exist in a wide variety.

If I had to guess I would say that your ingredients are carefully measured for the individual end user and have calculated amounts versus 100% of everything that some of these shakes and multivitamin type products have.

I feel as though meal replacements that are already on the market either are not made to replace all of an individual’s meals or are not made to satisfy the nutritional requirements of an active metabolism. I have not extensively studied all meal replacements that are on the market, but have looked at meal replacements such as Serious Mass, Muscle Milk, and Ensure.

If you want to know technical differences, the quantity of certain ingredients are very different. For instance you can buy a very “complete” multivitamin (this also applies to meal replacements) with 100% of the FDA’s daily value for many micronutrients, but not all of them, such as potassium. This is because in addition to potassium being in many foods, it’s dangerous to receive a large amount of potassium all at once as in a single glass or a single pill.

Because Soylent is for the entire day, and diluted with water as such, you can (as far as I can tell) safely get the recommended amount of potassium in a day. There’s also a very large discrepancy between what level of potassium is recommended and what the average person gets in their diet. I thought when I looked at the IOM’s “updated” intake requirements that they would have lowered the FDA’s from 30 or more years ago. Not so, they actually raised it. I don’t know if this is the reason why I feel so incredibly focused on Soylent (I thought it might be placebo but it’s been 3 weeks) but I have my suspicions (I’ve taken multivitamins before).

Also of course since Soylent is for the day it’s much easier to carefully regulate calories if interested in fat loss.

Essentially, Soylent IS weight gainer, or meal replacement powder. The only differences are that we get to formulate it ourselves, and it’s meant to actually replace most of our daily meals (if not all). Look at the ingredients for any weight gainer (this for instance).

We are doing research with some of the “complete” meal powders as a base. The ones we have found that we like so far are: Nude Food, a nutrient dense granular “powder” all natural that contains hemp seed and most of what you need. They also make Nu De bars, we like to tell others that we visit Nu De bars a couple times a day. Also Right Size meal replacement is not bad, but has a bit of a kick (buzz) from the green tea based “appemine” they use to suppress appetite. The third one we have tried is Raw Meal by Garden of Life. The “Natural” has a horrid aftertaste, but the chocolate Cacao is not bad.
Our concern is to try and keep it all natural avoiding the whey based proteins for several reasons. We also want to avoid HFCS AT ALL COSTS. We mix ours using prill water, (SEE ulc2u.org for more on this)
I love the concept of soylent, but need to keep it all natural for many reasons. If you have any input on this area feel free to email me at ulcproject@yahoo.com and I will TRY to get back to you ASAP. Things are kinda crazy here right now.
Keep up the good work our future may depend on it???

I don’t know if anyone has experience going to a diet consisting of entirely meal replacements for an extended period of time, but I would be very interested in one particular aspect of the experience and perhaps someone who has would know. What are the bowel movements like on a meal-replacement diet?

The main thing that interests me about soylent is the near 100% absorption in the small bowel with little need to eliminate any remaining waste. I am suffering from nerve damage in my colon that makes bowel movements a difficult and debilitating problem, and thus the idea of being able to get all my nutrients while eliminating the need to eliminate is an ideal (if drastic) treatment for a condition that has made me unable to maintain a predictable schedule or work a job. Rob reports that with an entirely soylent-based diet, one essentially does not poop, with the exception of a small amount of fiber that would either be easier for me to deal with or I could experiment with cutting it out entirely if my goal is to bypass my dysfunctional colon. If anyone can tell me if there is a meal replacement that has a similar effect, I’d be glad to know.

The meal replacement shakes I’ve seen generally aren’t as complete, and they generally rely on outdated FDA figures. I doubt you’ll find the IOM-reccommended amounts of choline in most of them, for example.

We have not gone to a complete meal replacement program as of yet. We have been looking for one that we could stand drinking and had enough of a base that we would add in things like flax seeds or other natural sources that would produce the levels that we were trying to achieve. Sorta off an organic soylent, if you will. We started juicing, all raw, and using prill water about a year ago and then heard of soylent so decided to adapt it in. The prill water is a trip because you drink and piss like crazy for about 3-4 days as it hydrates the body. You poop “easier” I guess? Maybe it’s just wetter, and seems that way? The juice reduces the output as well. I feel a tailored all natural soylent is the way to go and that is what we are researching. The nude food seems to fit best as a base but I have some concerns about the fat content On any of the programs we seem to only pass what is chewed and very minor amounts of much else.
Overseas they are doing RAW cannabis juicing, leaves mainly, and having great results with many diseases and also report very low “elimination”. I’d like to create a soylent around that to be used to heal as well as provide total sustenance and zero elimination. My interest lies in using this as a stepping stone to Breatharianism. ( http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/breathe_light/breatharianism.html ) I feel many of those looking at soylent feel the pull of upcoming potential events, on some level,and are taking steps to adjust…

I researched Garden For Life Meal replacement. Seemed closest to Soylent. Non-gmo from vegan sources, no dairy. They use sprouted grains. They add probiotic enzymes and fiber. Seems like they add everything I wish Soylent was. Though they have high heavy metals because of some of their natural sources. They are looking to lower these, then I think they are tough to beat.

If the Soylent guys want to support vegan from natural sources and be non-gmo they are going to have same problem. You have to manage your entire supply chain. Interesting problem creating a healthy meal replacement that is non-gmo, unprocessed from raw natural sources, vegan, non-dairy. Thoughts?