How long does it take for DIY Soylent to expire?

How long does it take for DIY soylent to expire?

In particular I’m wondering about the expiration time of this recipe: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/flys-edit-of-soylent-white which basically is a bunch of powders and olive oil.

The powders don’t go bad, correct? What about the powders mixed with the olive oil? Could I mix the powders up front so I can just scoop from that and then add some oil?

@timdiels

Assuming you make your soylent in the morning, you would want to refrigerate what you don’t drink immediately, or take with you to drink throughout the day. This is per some people who have tried it already, stating the mixture will spoil by the end of the day, otherwise. So, for any soylent with your oils and liquids (water, milk, whatever) mixed in, I would not count on it lasting more than 8-10 hours, refrigerated. Though, be prepared to remix whatever amount you’ve put away as, depending on the ingredients, separation is possible.

Now, for any unmixed soylent (powder), the shelf life would basically be at the whim of whichever ingredient goes bad first. Now, this varies significantly depending on what you are using and what the substance is. You will have to look into what is advertised as the average shelf life of each ingredient in the recipe as well as the best conditions for long term storage, which usually entails something in the realm of an airtight container stored in a cool, dry place.

Hopefully this helps you, at least a little bit. Otherwise, maybe someone has firsthand experience with this recipe and it’s ingredients.

This is actually a good question for people to keep in mind in regards to DIY recipes and their ingredients because people have to make sure they do not order more than that which will survive for the period of time that they have it. So, what I have done for recipes is to finalize all the measurements, calculate how many daily portions are included in the entire container/amount that is set to be ordered, and then compare that to the time frame I find for the shelf life of each ingredient. This ensures I can adjust the amount to be ordered, if needed, to be more or less, depending on if the ingredient will expire before I have the chance to use all of it, or if the amount ordered won’t cover the entire month. You can also lower the amount to be ordered to fit it within a certain time frame, say a month, to simplify things if you want, which I have done for a few ingredients.

Happy Soylent’ing,
David Riniari

For the powders found in most recipes, the basic answer is, “a long time.”

I can speak to my own perspective and experiences with my main recipe:
http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/quidnycs-superfood-for-him

I keep my large stores of protein powder and masa harina in airtight food vaults to maintain their quality. Other dry ingredients are kept in some other form of sealed container in the pantry.

For ingredients that contain polyunsaturated fats (including certain “dry” ingredients such as flaxseeds), it is important to store them in a manner that minimizes potential oxidation – this is due to the relative instability of PUFA. An opened container of walnut oil should always be refrigerated, for example, and you should store olive oil in a cool, dark, closed container. I go so far as to keep my entire supply of flaxseeds in the freezer, and I will grind them into flaxseed meal not long before combining into the dry mix.

I will typically produce a week’s worth of my recipe in individual mason jars (wide mouth quart size works well) over the weekend, with the dry ingredients for each day divided into a separate jar (I also keep the jars in the refrigerator, which is probably overkill). I think the jars of dry mix would last a good while in or out of the refrigerator.

In the morning (or the night before), I’ll dump the dry mix into a pitcher and add the oil and water components. Kept refrigerated, the “wet” mix will probably last a few days at least if not consumed right away.

Since my food scale doesn’t have the sensitivity of others, I’ll typically combine a weeks worth of dry powder at once and then wet mix individual days or meals as needed. As people noted, it’s important to store volatile ingredients (certain oils and flaxseed) in the cold and/or dark (my flaxseed powder is in the basement).

Since I bake or microwave my soylent, even the “wet” prepared food lasts for a couple days.

Olive oil can be stored and used for months if not years. Oil alone is not enough for bacteria to grow – they also need water and other nutrients. Although there are trace amounts of other nutrients in olive oil, it is not a medium conducive to bacterial propagation.

Anecdotally, I’ve stored my soylent in refrigerated form for up to several weeks with no noticeable change in quality or consistency.

It does begin to smell strongly (but not unpleasantly) if left unrefrigerated for longer than a few days.

I have found that storing it in the fridge in plastic containers gives it a really nasty sour flavor with a hint of the lemon in the dish soap in my work kitchen, but stored in glass jars in the fridge for over a week, I see no degradation in flavor. Plastic seemed like a much more convenient way to carry it to work with me, but after this experience, It’s all glass all the time for me. Unless I can find some reasonably priced metal container that is easy to wash.

I tried rewashing the plastic jars and leaving them out to dry for a while, but the sour smell is still in them.

If anybody has had better luck with plastic containers, I would love to hear about how they did it.

cedar – I’ve had good results using a stainless steel REI vacuum bottle to take mine to work for lunch. I’ll fill it up on the morning while I’m having breakfast, and it stays fairly cold without further refrigeration (assuming I’ve blended the wet mix and refrigerated it the night before).

Cleanup is very easy, and there is no exchange of flavor that I can detect (in either direction).

This is the product: http://www.rei.com/product/839815/rei-classic-vacuum-bottle-17-fl-oz,-stainless-steel