How long is Soylent good for outside?

Apparently my latest package arrived on my front porch Friday (we just use the back door) and I didn’t notice it until today (Wednesday). Should this still be good? I guess it has been in the shade, but it’s also been hot outside.

We formulate around the idea that these are sitting in hot trucks and warehouses and having pretty regular temperature changes.

So the chances of it still being good are favorable?

All of my Soylent drinks (boxes) are in the trunk of my car and I only pull out however many I need that week to refrigerate. It has been in the winter (max 10 degrees) and in the summer with no issues temps (120F trunk reading). I assumed if it’s in the hot trucks of UPS and warehouses it would be fine. If anyone wonders, I leave it in the trunk as a convenience to me as my car goes where I go as Soylent doesn’t need to be cold as it taste fine enough warm.

I also store soylent int hte trunk of my car lol! Someone saw them once and was freaked out haha!

Not sure why this would be an issue (besides maybe extreme heat). I keep my Soylent in a cabinet outside of my house. I would just keep it outside uncovered, but having visible boxes stacked up is kinda an eye sore and I’m self conscious.

Wonder if more of the plastic from the bottle ends up in the drink at really high temps, like inside of a car.

Ewww that thought made me cringe >,< I usually make mine wiht the mix and just have the bottles in the car… Oh man… I hope no harmful chemicals are leaking into the soylent from the plastic… especially being in high temperature and all… :frowning:

My understanding is that the Soylent bottles are made from HDPE plastic. The melting point for HDPE should be a temperature of 266 Fahrenheit. If your car is getting any hotter than 200 degrees, then you have other things to worry about. :wink:

Source: http://education.seattlepi.com/hot-water-melt-plastic-3626.html

EDIT: The Soylent would reach a boiling temperature before the plastic melted.

I love the taste of melted car!

I love lamp.    

I’m thinking that melting point is not the only thing that determines the safety. BPA and other chemicals in plastic are allegedly a problem, and I don’t think that is always tied to very high temperatures. I’m no expert on this subject. This article claims that chemicals in plastic other than just BPA are hazardous.

I’ve also seen speculation on the Internet that people who eat prepared foods might be less healthy in part due to higher exposure to plastic.

That said, I mainly buy RTD. Hope Soylent keeps an eye on this plastics issue and updates the containers when and if necessary.

I agree that chemical leaching could be a problem. Honestly, I am not sure what effect changes in temperature would have on that process. Nevertheless, unless the bottle is literally melting into the beverage, the effects of the plastic on the beverage are probably negligible (for nonpregnant adults). I simply meant to assuage fears of drinking plastic. :stuck_out_tongue: