How long is the oil good for?

Sorry if this has been addressed but I couldn’t find it so I thought I’d mention it.
I’m a new user and I’m easing in slowly and weekends are easier for me to experiment.

So my first taste was on a weekend and I made one scoop of powder and whatever oil is said (1.5 tablespoons I think). Then I zipped up the powder and tightened the cap on the oil and put it aside until I was ready to experiment again, which I anticipated being the next weekend.

I know the powder keeps a long time if you keep it zipped and I assumed the oil kept too if you capped it tightly. But two days later I read that once you open the oil you’ve gotta use it within a few days. Is this true? If so it kinda limits the convenience since it forces you to either use it once the oil bottle has been opened or else end up with an imbalance of powder and oil.

Since that first time the only approach I’ve used is to make a whole pitcher at once, which isn’t so bad, but it does kinda commit you to consuming 2,000 calories of Soylent in 48-ish hours. Being able to make, say, 300 or 500 or 700 calories at a time without starting a ticking clock would be good. Any thoughts?

I’ve had an opened container of oil for at least 4-5 days without issue. Their numbers are probably overcautious. I don’t know if there is an established shelf life in the oil, though.

Think about it. Have you ever used or know someone who used oil for cooking? That oil keeps for quite a while. I have a 16 oz. bottel of fish oil I keep in the fridge for my DIY soylent. The 1 liter bottle of soybean oil in there too. I would keep the bottle in the fridge and use it as needed.

By the way assumeing your intending to have 3 meals a day of equal size. One serving is two scoops of powder, four scoops water, and 4 tsp oil.

A couple things…

So I guess one issue is whether the oil goes bad as in undrinkable and the other is whether the oil loses it’s positive property, omega 3 or whatever, but is still safe to consume but it’s just that it doesn’t have the health benefits. If it’s the latter then it’s not so bad. And if it’s the latter then I assume you can refrigerate after opening to lessen that.

Also, that’s once you open the oil bottle. But how about before you open the oil bottle? I was under the impression that not refrigerating it before opening it was the norm but now I wonder. Should I refrigerate even non-opened oil bottles? It seems unlikely but I thought I’d ask.

Again canola oil is typically stored on grocery store shelves for who knows how long before you buy it. The fish oil I buy is stored in similar conditions. Refrigeration will slow down oxidation and spoilage of the fish oil. My fish oil says it’s good for 90 days after opening.

The fish oil that you can get for DIY may not be the same as that in Soylent. I would stick to the official recommendation because at the very least the taste could change for the worse. I recently re-used an old Soylent oil bottle to take my DIY with me unmixed, but I did not clean out the bottle. The old fish oil left over in the bottle had become so rancid that it tainted my soybean oil and made the whole meal undrinkable.

What? You think they use a special fish oil that doesn’t act like normal fish oil? That’s just silly. Fish oil is fish oil when it comes to temperature and oxidation. The left over fish oil in your bottles went bad because you didn’t refrigerate it after opening like I recommend. Why would you the bottles where empty? The 48ish hour limit in the instructions is referring to the Soylent once it’s been mixed with water.

Huh?

(20 characters)

The question was rhetorical. He said he was reusing empty bottles. Why would you refrigerate empty bottles?

I see. I just couldn’t make sense of the question.

Not to sound pedantic, but I guess you meant, “Why would you, the bottles were empty?”

I keep my empty oil bottle, though not in the refrigerator. I will certainly clean them out before I reuse them. Though, thus far, I haven’t reused them for anything.

Lol damn comma. Makes all the difference in the world :smile:

And ‘where’ vs. ‘were’. I think that’s why I couldn’t make sense of it.

Anyway, doesn’t matter. I just wanted to know what you meant. When I proof read what I just wrote, I tend to read what I meant to write instead of what I actually wrote, too.

Right, I guess I was silly to assume there is more than one kind of fish.

You think mackerel oil oxidizes and/or spoils at a different rate than oil from tuna, salmon, sturgeon, mullet, bluefish, anchovy, sardines, herring, trout, or menhaden? If so why?

Okay, so to be clear, while you should refrigerate your oil if you open a bottle and don’t use it all, it is okay to store your unopened oil bottles in the cupboard instead of the refrigerator. Correct?

Twice now you’ve put words in my mouth. I don’t “think” anything, I cautioned the OP to stick to the product guidelines.

It just seems like you think the oil in Soylent spoils faster than any other oil you can buy in the store. I said that the fish oil I use lasts in the fridge for 90 days and you said that my oil could be different than the oil that Soylent uses. Like their oil is more sensitive or something and spoils faster.

The OP was asking if the oil had a 2 day time limit on it after opening. It seemed like you where implying it did. The 2 day limit is for the mixed Soylent not the oil itself.

I’ve never refrigerated my oils. So yeah, I’d say that’s fine.

This could very well be the case, as nobody knows the exact source of Soylent’s fish oil. The point is that I don’t know, you don’t know, and the OP doesn’t know, so it is best not to make assumptions. The instructions don’t indicate that it is ok to store oil in the refridgerator for any extended period of time, so until a staffer chimes in with additional info then the only good recommendation is to use the product as directed.

Ok. I can see I’m not getting anywhere here. Would you agree that if the oil smells and tastes fine it’s probably still good?