How many bottles of Soylent 2.0 can you drink before exceeding micronutrient ULs?

I drink 8 or 9 bottles of Soylent 2.0 per day because I am round and jolly and eat a lot. Am I exceeding any tolerable upper intake levels (ULs) for any of Soylent’s ingredients, and if so, how much of a concern is that?

I think this would be valuable information for Soylent drinkers in general, not just me.

P.S. According to my calculations, I am cutting 600-1000 calories per day, and my long-term goal is to slowly ramp down my daily calorie (and thus daily Soylent) intake. I’ll know in about a month if my calculations are correct.

The nutrients are based on whatever calorie your diet should be.

So if you need 2000 calories worth of nutrients you need 5 bottles, if only 400, just 1, if 2800, 7 bottles.

Also an FYI for “over-eaters” (I am one) if you can exert some strong self control, and just NOT eat a lot for a week or two, like scaling down to 5 bottles, you can “shrink your stomach” and then you won’t be needing to eat nearly as much as you are. Drinking water can help curb appetite, as well being necessary because Soylent doesn’t provide anywhere near the water you need.

The easiest micronutrient to overdose on is probably iron. I think 2.0 has 3.6 mg of iron per bottle, and it’s recommended not to take in more than 45 mg per day (some doctors recommend a much lower limit), so 12 bottles would pretty much be the limit. Because iron is stored in your body for a very long time, even a small overdose every day could end up being really bad. Even being below but close to the 45 mg limit per day could end up harmful over a long period of time.

Calcium is also a possibility. I think 2.0 has 240 mg of calcium per bottle, with the recommended limit being 2500 mg (for 19-50 men and women), so that would put the limit at 10 bottles. Calcium isn’t as dangerous as iron, though: main risks would probably be stomach upset and elevated risk of kidney stones.

Vitamin A is another contender, though I think you’d need 16 bottles in order to potentially have an issue.

Since we don’t have the 2.0 spreadsheet yet, I’d drink no more than nine bottles a day. Soylent 1.5 has 5,498.04 IU of vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate) per 2000 calories, and the TUL is 10,000 IU/day (for an adult, less for a child). Assuming the two have similar vitamin A content per calorie, 9.09 bottles would be 10,000 IU/day.

The vitamins will certainly have an overage not represented in the nutrition facts label. This is to ensure the nutritional claims are met at the end of the 1 year shelf life. Vitamin overages are usually around 25-50% but depending on the composition of the product can be as high as several hundred percent. Because Soylent contains the full range of minerals, some of the metal cations can catalyze vitamin breakdown, requiring higher overages.

These overages will be below the TUL for a full day of 2.0, but I wouldn’t recommend exceeding 5 bottles per day for an extended period of time.

This continually comes up and I am still not convinced in the case of most of the micros. The body disposes of excess vitamins quite readily through the urinary tract. Is it not capable of ridding itself of unwanted iron or calcium as well? Just because you ingest 200% of something wouldn’t immediately suggest that your body retains all of that, right?

Correct me if i am wrong, the thing is minerals accumulate in organs and bones if they exceed the body’s metabolic requirement i am not sure if they get flushed out in the urine.I dont know which of them accumulates in which organ specifically, but generally this is the case. With regard to vitamins, sure they get flushed out esp the water soluble B vitamins, but do all of them do…even the fat soluble ones (A,D,E,K)?

The fat soluble vitamins can accumulate in tissue and are not flushed out like the water soluble vitamins. The effects of overconsumption will depend on the particular vitamin and mineral.

It is not recommended to exceed these intakes.

http://iom.nationalacademies.org/Activities/Nutrition/SummaryDRIs/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/ULs%20for%20Vitamins%20and%20Elements.pdf

Excess fat soluble vitamins are flushed out as well. The process takes longer than most water solubles, which presumably makes their ULs lower.

For each micronutrient in RDI, if the nutrient is also in DRI and there is a UL, then figure out the UL/RDI ratio. Find the minimum of those ratios, and then calculate floor(ratiomin * 5.0).

This looks like the fast and crude calculation you need. This shouldn’t be too far off since Soylent 2.0 is almost fully RDI 20% in micronitrients.

You can apply the UL of your age and gender dataset to the calculation too. If you are also not sure how much calories you need, check out http://bmr.soylent.me.

Not for iron. For Women, when they menstruate, iron is released, but unless men donate blood a lot, the iron stays in the body and corrodes vital organs. This is called haemochromatosis. It is very serious. Don’t have too much iron.

The myths and realities of hemochromatosis

From that link:

Although dietary iron is the source of excess iron in hemochromatosis, a decrease in dietary iron has not been shown to decrease iron stores in hemochromatosis. All food groups contain iron and most humans will absorb only a small fraction of orally ingested iron.

So basically it sort of suggests that dietary iron isn’t a factor unless you have this condition and that makes it seem that gender doesn’t matter as much either.

i.e. if you have hemochromatosis then your iron intake is a serious concern (although that first sentence I quoted indicates diet alone isn’t going to help you), but if you don’t have this condition, the iron levels in Soylent aren’t going to cause you to develop it, that about right?