How much can you save on powdered foods?

The real case from a customer with details:
http://discourse.powderedfoods.com/t/a-month-seems-expensive/342

A large chunk of savings on any of these items (Soylent, soylent, or Powdered Foods) goes really under appreciated by folks who are simply analyzing without trying. Food spoilage and grocery transportation (fuel and vehicle wear/tear) are not insignificant costs. If you shop weekly you may be able to decrease one (spoilage) but increase vehicle wear and transportation cost. If you shop bi-weekly, you will spend less on vehicles but have more spoilage. On powdered food, you have a flat fixed cost. Roll your own or buying it from Soylent or Powdered foods, there is a significant savings beyond the cost of the food itself (and this says nothing for the non-financial savings on time). I no longer spend 1.5 hours grocery shopping weekly. I no longer spend an hour a 1 (on average) preparing meals. All things I would hope anyone would consider beyond simply just doing the math on what it costs to buy the product daily.

It’s still on the pricey side for many. Myself included.

Time savings is negligible and not something I was in it for to begin with anyway. I shop on my way to/from work, so no savings there. I got Soylent for 3 reasons (in order):

1. Money savings
  2. Nutrition
  3. Niche/situational uses*

They’ve got a ways to go on #1, but it should improve a fair bit in time, thanks to economy of scale (at the very least).

Of course, everyone’s situation/needs are different. They’ll get there with options for everyone, in due time. :smile:

* Soylent all day on work days (due to very long shifts), backpacking, weight maintenance, hangovers.

Your remarks reminded me my old post regarding efficiency:

The high cost of “special” or “healthy” food is as a result of several factors:
The food is comprised of ballast and lacks the nutrients we really need. Think of the excess vitamins we’re supposedly getting in salads and the lack of fat (healthy fat) that our bodies need from these same salads. Think of the extra protein in nutrition bars and the lack of minerals in these bars. Add these overlapping effects and count how much you overpay for nutrients. If we will eat only the nutrients we need, then we can save on the ingredients.

This “special food” is prepared for “special customers”. Quite often, this special food waits for a customer like a bridegroom waits at the altar for a bride who doesn’t turn up! So if the food is not sold within a particular time it has to be thrown out as trash (because special/healthy foods have no preservatives). Costs for trash are taken into consideration when determining the price of the food. If we want to reduce costs, we should pre-order special meals.

Many food suppliers tend to use mass production because of high labor costs. This involves different stages (between production and when the food gets to the consumer) and various “middlemen”. These “middlemen” (distributors, truckers, retailers etc.) include a “small fee” which is then added to the final cost the consumer pays for the food. If we want to cut these fees out, we need direct delivery.

I wrote it in Spring-14 and now, after half a year - I’m ready to sign under every word.
Let’s keep moving forward.

It really depends on how much you spend on normal food to compare. I will regularly spend $400-$500 a month on normal food.

Buying a FULL load of DIY soylent supplies costs about $250-300 However, some of that last way longer than a month, some less. However after getting the basics, I average about 150 a month.

If you shop around, and constantly look for the best prices, you can save even more. My local grocery store will often have a better deal on good oils, way better than I can find online.

Bodybuilding websites and bulk supplement sometimes have better deals and promotions.