How much do you really spend on food a week?

Multiple times from different people on this board I’ve seen it stated that $255 for a months worth if calories is not just more but significantly more money than they currently or typically spend. This is absolutley shocking to me, most people I know spend closer to $10 a meal, and we are by no means wealthy or affluent. So I’m wondering if I’m disconnected from the “norm”, or if they’re out side of it? How much money do you realistically spend on food a day and a week? And do you live in a rural, suburban, or urban environment?

Normally, about 5-10 bucks a day, but I don’t eat breakfast, and rarely lunch. I usually end up with either 1000-1200 calories a day, or 2000+ of really bad cheap nasty calories depending on the quality of food I can afford. Live in a city of 265,000

Once I started looking at the actual amount of money I spend on food, with random trips to the store, fast food, snacks, pop, ect… 255 sounded cheap, but I also am pretty bad with my money, and terrible and making my own food.

For me, my regular food habits were cheaper, for the most part. But going out to eat every so often makes things expensive. And when my diet is not necessarily all-encompassing when it comes to nutrition, its inevitable that I crave fast food.

So, despite spending more on “regular” food purchases, I spend less overall because most fast food no longer appeals to me.

I estimate it to between $300 and $350 (for me a month) depending on how often I go out and I go out generally at least once a week… Thats also including (non alcoholic) beverages. I live in the city.

I live outside the city and spend between $1,000 and $1,200 monthly on food. I do not cook for myself delivery or restaurant for every meal every day.

About $30/week (I rarely eat out). In a city of ~200,000.

I’m at about 400 per week. If Soylent works it’s going to save me a fortune. Plus the added savings of better health.

My family (wife and 13 yr old) spend about $1000/month. That is a mixture of groceries, fast food and restaurants. We live in a city of (metro) of about 400,000 (Reno). Our diets are pretty lousy. So far I’m the only one on Soylent (about 80%) and think If all of us can get on that we’d save some. Primary benefit is better nutrition and convenience. I think cutting out the fast food and frozen food is going to a LOT to help me (us) with weight management and just being healthier.

I typically spend somewhere around $6-11 per meal because I mostly eat takeout food. The few meals that I have for cheaper are probably about balanced by the even fewer meals that are significantly more expensive (nicer restaurants). I do get meals free at work every once in a while (if I have a lunch meeting or someone else’s lunch meeting had leftovers) and I rarely eat breakfast.

So all of that considered, probably $120 or so per week. Nearly double the cost of 100% Soylent, and waaaaaay less healthy.

I subside upon pasta, beans n rice, cereal, yogurt, and fruit/veggie smoothies pretty much exclusively. I spend at most 200 a month, but more like 150.

I have a lunch allotment of $80 per 2 weeks that I usually go over, plus the wife and I spent $120/wk on groceries, plus any fast food/takeout/etc for dinner or weekends. Total we spend an average of $1000 per month on food that has lousy nutrition. The $255 per 4 weeks will save me $120-$300 per month, if I can get the wife on board we could save $400-$600 a month. This doesn’t count electricity, water, fuel for the car, time, or other directly related savings.

Yeah I think the main thing you miss when looking for the total cost of food a week are the indirect costs. Such as fuel, time etc. When I use my salary per hour and add that to the cost of food, Soylent will definitely be cheaper even at a price of 400$ per month.

Spend just under $1,000 per month, for a family of 9 (two adults, two teens, 5 younger). This works out to just over a dollar per person per meal. We live in a suburban area, and have about a 50/50 mix of calories from fresh foods vs highly processed/prepared foods.

Soylent is exceptionally high cost, even if you assume that the children require half the calories. My wife prepares lunch and dinner, spending about an hour total per day on food prep, so even if you account for her labor soylent is still very, very expensive.

Those who say that it’s cheap, or saves them money, are likely of an income class or situation that doesn’t match over 90% of the US, and 99% of the world.

Check out your position in the world by going here: http://www.globalrichlist.com/

I’m in the top ~0.08% of the world by income. I’m supporting 8 other people, so that will affect whether I believe it’s expensive or not.

If you believe soylent is inexpensive, share your position in income so others can understand why you might think so.

Soylent is currently priced for the wealthy.

Yes, that will drop over time, but don’t pretend that it’s cheap or inexpensive. It may be so for you, but such general statements are most certainly not true for the majority population.

And that’s fine. This company isn’t making food for the poor or middle class - they are focused on people of means.

I would be a lot more interested in the other demographics of Soylent users (age and location).

Unless you are in the famous 1%, you cannot be spending $10 a meal per person and have a family. That only works if you are single on a couple in an urban environment where you have few expenses.

The average North American family, that has 1-2 cars, a mortgage, and all the others bills of life, could never spend $10 per meal, per person, or for a family of 4, $3,600 a month, which is insane.

As I’ve mentioned on other posts, I eat out about 3x a week, and I still do on Soylent, so it has no place in a comparison of food costs. For a family of 3 we spend $500 a month and eat very well. I should also mentioned, when I was looking through our budget that this $500 includes things like cleaners, paper towels and other ‘household items.’ Taking that into consideration our actual budget is probably $400 a month for three people.

We live in Vancouver, BC, widely recognized as one of North America’s most expensive cities. If I lived in Lexington, KY I couldn’t imagine spending more than $300 a month.

It isn’t $10 per meal per person for Soylent it is less than $10 a day per person. $255 x 4 = $1020.

The comment was in reference to the OP comment of spending $10 per meal, not to Soylent.

I see. I have noticed a steep rise on the cost of the average meal cost over the last 3-5 years. What was once $3-5 is now $7-9. It is more difficult to find a decent meal under $10 after drink, taxes, tip, etc. When travelling for work and having to eat out every meal it can be difficult to stay under the $25 per diem. I can see how a single person could choose to do similarly if living in a more urban area. I also can see how the meals the wife and I fix at home could be expanded to feed 4 persons rather than just the two of us without greatly increasing the cost of the meal. This becomes the issue, traditional meals fixed at home don’t usually increase in cost geometrically the way Soylent could. So for 1 or 2 people it is possible to use soylent and reduce the overall cost of food but once you hit 3 or more persons in a family it could cost more than traditional food.

I often spend $10 on a meal. Sometimes this is from eating out, sometimes it is from buying ingredients that will go to waste. I have pend $30 or so on ingredients for a stew that I got 5 meals out of, which brought it down to $6 a meal. If I get down to $3 a meal, its remarkable.
Also, I don’t eat an entire day of soylent in a day, so I spend less than $3 for the soylent.

I spend roughly $1 per meal, so about $20 per week, $90 per month.

The only things I buy are milk, cheerios, pasta, beans, frozen vegetables, and peanut butter. I cannot justify going out to eat. I live in a big city.

Soylent is almost triple the cost for me. But it does have a lot going for it, so I bought a month anyways. Eventually I’ll be starting DIY to keep meals somewhat closer to that $1 per meal mark.

According to the global rich list I am in the top 0.35% of global income earners, although I am skeptical of their claim that this makes me the 20,815,984th richest person in the world based on income.

I should clarify that when I say $10 a meal I’m not including breakfast, because most of usually skip it/aren’t awake for it. But $600 a month is probably accurate, if not low. I am a bartender so I’m speaking about people I know who work in the restaurant industry, generally 20s-30s, single or couples not raising a family, living in a major metropolitan city. Maybe it’s the late hours and long shifts, maybe it’s a difference in priorities, culture or lifestyle, but $30 a week for food is basically unfathomable to me.

I’d like to add that in no way am I trying to brag about my grandiose life or trying to insult anyone else’s, this is truly a revalation to me and may be a catalyst for some serious changes in my lifestyle, as infantile as that May sound