How much food do we waste?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/16/414667913/landfill-of-lettuce-what-happens-to-salad-past-its-prime

Listened to this story today. I’m sorry to say far to much food is wasted in my own house from simple over-purchase spoilage.

This was one of the motivating factors for me switching over to Soylent. I’m a single guy, and buying any perishable food (vegetables, sausages, block of cheese) usually results in me throwing out a good portion upon spoiling.

I felt wasteful, spending money on food when I was going to throw out a quarter of it. The alternative was overloading on preserved foods. Not much better.

When I was a security guard one of the places I was posted was a produce warehouse. I would routinely find dumpsters full of “damaged” but still good vegetables and more than once found homeless people taking a lot of it. Needless to say I never reported the homeless people or made any effort to stop them.

I’m moving from freegan to soylent. I know the feeling.

+1

“Healthy” food is so hard to keep fresh. Soylent is so much better.

I was reading about this problem the other day and how supermarkets etc are now giving the fruit / vegetables they can’t sell, but are still edible to this company http://secondbite.org/. They then distribute it to homeless people or other people in need - seems like a good idea.

Another great report about food waste. More importantly about some organizations working to get food the general public askews as not good enough to those experiencing true food insecurity.

Unreal how much good food is wasted/tossed

It’s good to waste less if possible but I think a certain degree of waste is inherent in using food that rots so quickly.

That article makes the stores the bad guys a little bit but think about it for a second, why would a store throw out food if they could sell it instead? That would be foolish. The article says the stores can prevented from being sued if they give the food away instead of throwing it out. Okay, that takes away the legal aspect, but still, if a store gives away food and that food ends up making people sick the store is going to garner a lot of bad publicity.

The dilemna is the tension between not wanting to throw away food if it’s still good and not wanting to sell or give away food if it’s already bad. The more you try to avoid one the more you end up doing the other.

Also, it mentions how much food our industrial food system wastes. I don’t know if the industrial part of it is really relevant. When you do things on a large scale the mess is larger overall but not necessarily per capita. It’s like when people say the clean, country life is better for the environment than that of the dirty city. The city looks a lot dirtier at first glance but OTOH because there are so many people crammed together in the city that leaves a lot more countryside to not be dirtied at all.