How much of a premium are you willing to pay?

I see a fair number of threads and posts here detailing suggested ways that RL might better address the specific needs of specific groups of customers, e.g., by providing:

• Single-serve packaging
  • Multiple formulations (low-carb, high protein)
  • Multiple flavors
  • Etc.

Now, anybody who knows anything about manufacturing knows that all these sorts of variations add complexity and cost – offhand I can’t think of a single product that isn’t considerably more expensive in a single-serve format versus a more bulk format.

So my question is: how much of a price premium would you be willing to pay for versions of Soylent that were more customized to your particular needs?

Good point. I’d love a big 7 lb. tub of Soylent. Cost should be roughly unchanged.

I’d definitely be willing to pay a little more (~10%) for gluten-free version.

I’m one of the people who’d like to see single-meal packaging.

That said, honestly I don’t know if I’d pay a premium for it. With a Blender Bottle it’s very simple to prepare a single meal of Soylent. It’s just slightly annoying scooping out the right amount from the current pouches.

I might advocate instead that Rosa Labs offers an option to get a Blender Bottle (or equivalent) shipped along with the standard pitcher in your initial order, possibly for an extra cost.

The premium as a percent of cost kind of varies based on how cheap the base price is.

Let’s say it costs 25 cents per bag regardless of the size. So if they put the entire month in one bag it’s 25 cents or if they break it into 112 bags per month 25 cents each bag. In which case the packaging cost would basically range from 25 cents to $28 dollars.

If the base price was $10 that would make the price range from $10.25 to $38. Nearly 4 times as expensive for the individual meal bags. If the base price was $10,000 per month it would go from $10,000.25 to $10,028 or about a 0.3% increase.

Obviously my numbers are made up and meaningless other than an example of how a more expensive product has less potential price savings with bulk packaging. Going to a tub I wouldn’t expect any significant price reduction. There could be other reasons to do it of course. Some would prefer a tub. It might result in less waste.

Complexity and cost usually don’t change that much, other than adding a separate packaging line; a packaging line which may even have cheaper operation costs. In most cases, paying for single-serving is simply paying a premium for convenience (or losing a discount for buying in bulk, if you want to look at it from another direction.)

I’m actually really happy with the packaging and the macros and all as they are right now, so there’s nothing I can think of that I would pay a premium for.

I wouldn’t pay a premium because it should already come with single-serving preparation in mind. The current packaging is very nice (I am truly the envy of my street on trash day) but I feel that those handsome bags are needlessly inflating the cost and they are an impediment to those, like me, who favor the single-serving approach.

Making it by the day is not convenient; transporting liquids is not ideal for people on the move, plus you have to keep it chilled. So I transfer my Soylent into a reclaimed Muscle Milk canister, and it is much more convenient to use with blender bottles, just add cold water and go. I keep a second canister and blender bottle in my desk at work, fill it from the water cooler and rinse it out in the break room. Since I can drink it while I work, I spend my lunch break playing video games.

Rather than have 7 fancy bags for a week’s supply, package single servings into foil-paper packets and stick a week’s worth of those into one big fancy bag. It would probably be cheaper and make it more accessible to a larger body of customers.

My fear and expectation is that some premiums will come instead of the hoped-for price decrease often mentioned. Flavorings will of course cost extra. A solid Soylent will cost more for shipping, I expect. I personally am already at the edge of what I can afford.

Complimentary polls:

How much % premium would you pay for single serve?

• 0%
  • 5%
  • 10%
  • 15%
  • 20%
  • 25+%
  • I don’t want single serve options.

0 voters

How much of a discount would you pay for a 1 week bulk package:

• 0%
  • 5%
  • 10%
  • 15%
  • 20%
  • 25+%
  • I don’t want bulk options.

0 voters

How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for special versions (GF, low-carb, etc.). This doesn’t include flavorings.

• 0%
  • 5%
  • 10%
  • 15%
  • 20%
  • 25+%
  • I don’t want special options.

0 voters

And finally,
How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for flavorings

• Free
  • <25¢/pouch
  • 25-50¢
  • 50¢-$1
  • $1-$2
  • $2+
  • I don’t want flavorings.

0 voters

Using my knowledge of manufacturing and production, I’m 99.99999% positive the single serve packaging would be cheaper to manufacture and ship in the long term. These 4 serving pouches are quite wasteful, especially due to the resealing portion.

I would, respectfully, disagree.

It’s a single process, versus a perfectly similar process performed 4 times.

The only place where there is any potential for wastage is, as you said, in the resealable zip, which would, in no way, complicate the manufacturing process. It would simply cost more in raw materials.

The closer you can get to bulk, the more you save on the manufacturing/preparation end. That’s simply accepted practice.

This is a fallacious oversimplification. Manufacturing zipper bags is a lot more complex than stamping out packets of the same material.

I wouldn’t pay a premium, unless the price was decreased (as RL states is a goal of theirs) at which point I would pay a premium that brings the price up to exactly where it is now.

I would pay a bit more for a higher-protein version.

That’s it.

I would just like the option to have in come in a big tub like protein powder. I only do single servings so I use a protein scoop to get the soylent out of that little bag. I always put extra protein in my soylent as well as some 100% food, tastes great.

I feel the need to add something to this that no one has brought up yet.

What is a single serving?

Seriously. If a single serving offering were 500 calories, the people who like to have 600 calories worth at a time will have to open multiple bags and have one bag not fully used. The people who want only 400 calories at a time will have the exact same problem. What percentage of consumers are going to find the amount in a theoretical single serving package to be the exact amount they want? From everything I’ve read here it seems like we all consume soylent in very different ways. I find it difficult to believe that single servings would really sell well enough to justify the extra production cost. At least right now given that they only just caught up with demand recently.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy single servings even if it were the exact same price. I don’t want even more packaging to deal with. When I do want single servings of the stuff I just scoop out however much I want into a ziplock bag and make my own.

^^^ This ^^^

A lot of people are asking for single serving packets, but what is a single serving? Are you having 4 meals per day as Soylent suggests, or 3, or 6? When I have my Soylent I take however much from the pitcher as I feel hungry for. If I want a snack I take a little, and if I want a big meal I take a lot. Or I fill a thermos at the beginning of a work shift and sip from it whenever I start to feel hungry. It would be annoying to have only one serving size, so that I’m forced to have the same amount for each meal/snack regardless how hungry I am.

Bulk packs I do like, though. I always got my 100%Food in the big bulk bags and stored it in an airtight bin. If I could get a huge bag of Soylent and store it in my own bin I’d be happy with that. The protein-powder-style tubs are nice, but I don’t think I’d want to be accumulating a whole bunch of those tubs. Large bags would be less wasteful, and if they’re zipper seal bags then people can have the choice of getting a reusable storage bin or just keeping it in the bags. I’d buy bulk even if it wasn’t at a discount, just so that I’d produce less garbage and have less clutter.

I feel the need to add something to this that no one has brought up yet.

What is a single day?

Seriously. If a single day offering were 2000 calories, the people who like to have 2200 calories worth at a time will have to open multiple bags and have one bag not fully used. The people who want only 1800 calories at a time will have the exact same problem. What percentage of consumers are going to find the amount in a theoretical single day package to be the exact amount they want?